By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo You Say You Want Isn’t the Nintendo You Love

I've owned every Nintendo system, and they've traditionally been my favorite console of each generation (Wii being the only exception). The N64 and Gamecube happen to be my favorite, and that was when my 'fanboyism' was at its peak. The hardware of those systems was at the top of the pack, and there were no gimmicky control schemes. The introduction of the analog stick and wireless controllers helped pave the way for everything standard afterward. The enhanced hardware of those systems created game experiences that combined the masterful gameplay of Nintendo 1st party software with the 'wow' of high-end graphics. Sure, those consoles didn't sell, but I'm not someone that goes for what's most popular. So that's the Nintendo I want, though many have flipped into a different kind of Nintendo fan since the Wii came out. And honestly, the SNES and Wii were the only Nintendo home consoles that were weaker on the hardware side. I think your post really sums up newer Nintendo fans that may not have experienced the time when the company was graphically superior to its competitors. I want 'my' old Nintendo back, but that's just me.

Around the Network

It's a shame Yokoi is so forgotten these days. But I think he'd approve of what Nintendo's been doing.

Love and tolerate.

I thought the snes, gcn, and the N64 were actually powerful for their time... if this is true, doesn't it refute the stupid sentiment that Nintendo takes old school, outdated hardware and does extraordinary things with it?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

TheShape31 said:

I've owned every Nintendo system, and they've traditionally been my favorite console of each generation (Wii being the only exception). The N64 and Gamecube happen to be my favorite, and that was when my 'fanboyism' was at its peak. The hardware of those systems was at the top of the pack, and there were no gimmicky control schemes. The introduction of the analog stick and wireless controllers helped pave the way for everything standard afterward. The enhanced hardware of those systems created game experiences that combined the masterful gameplay of Nintendo 1st party software with the 'wow' of high-end graphics. Sure, those consoles didn't sell, but I'm not someone that goes for what's most popular. So that's the Nintendo I want, though many have flipped into a different kind of Nintendo fan since the Wii came out.  

You stole my post. 

A few things...

First, from when I was really little and we had an NES, I've always been super greedy about both gameplay AND graphics. Call me shallow if you want, but I consider both to be important. So I see no romanticism in Nintendo's desire to earn a profit on each console right out of the gate; their focus on motion controls and more family-friendly offerings didn't move me at all, so there was nothing to make up for how dated and underwhelming the games looked.

The author ignores that Nintendo itself is pushing the Wii U as a good choice for hardcore players. Thus they tout the system's HD gaming capabilities, scooped up Bayonetta 2, and push third-party offerings like Call of Duty and Darksiders. Indeed, the Gamepad itself has more potential in core games than motion controls ever did. So it's strange he doesn't get why people wanted a more powerful system when those are the same people Nintendo says the Wii U can appeal to.

The only reason they're able to trumpet the system's broad appeal, without pushing the hardware specs, is because neither Sony nor Microsoft have any incentive to do so either. And probably won't, based on all the rumors we've been hearing. There's no point in putting out a system that costs $800 to make when there's no new paradigm like polygons or HD on the horizon.

I think Nintendo's reasons a lot more mundane than he's willing to admit.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
TheShape31 said:

I've owned every Nintendo system, and they've traditionally been my favorite console of each generation (Wii being the only exception). The N64 and Gamecube happen to be my favorite, and that was when my 'fanboyism' was at its peak. The hardware of those systems was at the top of the pack, and there were no gimmicky control schemes. The introduction of the analog stick and wireless controllers helped pave the way for everything standard afterward. The enhanced hardware of those systems created game experiences that combined the masterful gameplay of Nintendo 1st party software with the 'wow' of high-end graphics. Sure, those consoles didn't sell, but I'm not someone that goes for what's most popular. So that's the Nintendo I want, though many have flipped into a different kind of Nintendo fan since the Wii came out. And honestly, the SNES and Wii were the only Nintendo home consoles that were weaker on the hardware side. I think your post really sums up newer Nintendo fans that may not have experienced the time when the company was graphically superior to its competitors. I want 'my' old Nintendo back, but that's just me.

I actually enjoy not having companies go out of business trying to high-end everything like Sony.

Plus that wow factor isn't what it use to be now it's all a norm you expect and aren't amazed.

Even Mircosoft learned that releasing big budget games over and over again will do nothing for them. So now they do it every once in while (halo,Gears of War). Now it's a kinect becaus ethey can profit.

Thank God that we have games like mindcraft showing we need don't have to have your mind running these companies.

Every Nintendo system I owned I love because of the characters and gameplay  never once was because it was the best graphically looking. You were never a Nintendo fan you were a hardware fan.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

I like how you inconspicuously put a little bit of troll in that last paragraph there. Sneaky sir.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

spurgeonryan said:
novasonic said:
I like how you inconspicuously put a little bit of troll in that last paragraph there. Sneaky sir.

:O

Blame Destructoid. The site that I cited as the source at the end.

Damn you last two words! Then I retract my statement to you, and instead say it to the probably 15 year old kid that wrote the article.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

ninetailschris said:
TheShape31 said:

1.) I actually enjoy not having companies go out of business trying to high-end everything like Sony.

2.) You were never a Nintendo fan you were a hardware fan.

1.) I agree, and that's precisely what Nintendo did with every console before the Wii... their hardware defined each generation, meanwhile they made money on every single Nintendo console (maybe not Virtual Boy).  Sony went beyond high-end and used hardware that assured no profit.  The complicated inner-workings at Sony are what lead to the mistakes in building the PS3.  Those are two very different situations.

2.) You are simply mistaken, and there is no rational argument there.

i still dont see what Nintendo did so wrong with the Wii to make you old school Nintendo fans feel so upset and betrayed, the classic games are there more than ever with the Wii, plus the addition of the motion based games for those who want them.....its just the grafix? really?