By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Halo 4 may be the savior of First Party Titles for MS..

Cobretti2 said:
iFlow said:
Cobretti2 said:
I don't see the point of this thread

Halo 4 alone on hype will succeed. Any extra sales will be from quality.

Sorry if I couldn't get my point across. The point I'm trying to get is that the success of Halo 4 may get Microsoft to take more risks which in turn leads to more developers and IPs.

Ah I see.

but isn't halo pretty much always a sucecss? The last few Halo have sold extremely well so what difference does another Halo success make for Micrososft in their risk taking analysis?

Taking a risk in 343. It really isn't if Halo succeeds, but if 343 developes another juggernaut.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Jesus Christ. Every time.

A perfectly reasonable question gets dragged through the shit. The usual suspects arguing (aggressively) over semantics or constantly comparing to the mighty god that is Sony (all kneel). Get over yourselves.

Nsanity is right, this is turning into N4G.

What? I wasn't trying to compare Sony and Microsoft. I needed to use Sony's number of exclusives in hopes that people would understand what I was trying to say. 

iFlow said:
Cobretti2 said:
iFlow said:
Cobretti2 said:
I don't see the point of this thread

Halo 4 alone on hype will succeed. Any extra sales will be from quality.

Sorry if I couldn't get my point across. The point I'm trying to get is that the success of Halo 4 may get Microsoft to take more risks which in turn leads to more developers and IPs.

Ah I see.

but isn't halo pretty much always a sucecss? The last few Halo have sold extremely well so what difference does another Halo success make for Micrososft in their risk taking analysis?

Taking a risk in 343. It really isn't if Halo succeeds, but if 343 developes another juggernaut.

This right here...is the whole point. You are correct. if 343 creates another juggernaut, but I doubt it highly because Microsoft created 343 specifically to take the reigns away from Bungie. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Corey said:

So first 2 paragraphs talk about a never ending story arch. ok. That doesnt address my point that Gears will last the generation with Judgement (and you for some reason doubting that). I also said you think Gears is being milked when there are currently more Uncharted games out now. These 2 points have nothing to do with story arcs.

In regards to story arcs........Gears of War lore has a 80 year war called the pendulum wars that predated Eday. E day till end of Gears 3 took 15 years.Hell they can pull a Halo 4 and make a new sequel trilogy somehow. Point is I think you need to learn that Gears has a vast time period to exploit a few more games out of at least. Think about that next time you say the story arc is over.

No argument about Halo. Seems to be going in the right direction with a heavier emphasis on story. As a Halo fan and a avid reader of all the novels, its a welcome developement.

You seem to have this issue with corporations actually "making" their games. Yes MS doesnt have many 1st party studios and they have opened up some new ones this gen. But they do secure games buy making deals with 3rd parties.In the end, the result is the same: 360 gets games that Nintendo or Sony dont get. What does it matter to you if it was made by MS employees or not? Again, the result is the same.

Im not saying Gears wont last through til the end of this generation. I am saying it dont think it will get past it and if they do Microsoft would have to pay them a large sum to force a hole in the finite story they already have (In the game that is) which has already reached closure much like God of War. The difference as well between Sony doing it and Microsoft doing it is they are standing in the way of Epic focusing on larger new IP's. If they bought Epic then by all means, its not like Epic didnt say they wanted to focus on PC games next gen (Yes...yes they did). They gave closure to the story of Marcus Fenix and come on Marcus was the heart and soul of the franchise. His leadership helped the supporting characters. Milking has everything to do with the validity of the storyline. Super Mario and Zelda have been milked to death in this case, but why does no one care? Its because it has no story arch or ending moment that retires the character. It is just not provided...those characters can last forever. In the same vein Nathan Drake can have hundreds of missions and adventures because this world clearly has so many historical myths, legends and archeology stories. They could even make up one but have used historical ones as well. Nathan Drake has clearly become a staple mascot for Sony.

The pendulum wars bit makes sense though, but it seems like Epic is content unless Microsoft pays them. Closure has been brought to the story and Halo never had closure, because everyone knew Master Chief would be brought out of cryo sleep whenever Cortana needed him. This was hinted at earlier in the gen. Again, Cliff Blezsinski has said that Gears will last as long as Microsofts pockets run on Gametrailers numerous times. Judgement may be cannon but the media regarded it as a spin-off, especially being that it was handed to People Can Fly. I am sure Epic has bigger fish to fry with the PC crowd next gen as they've said before.

Again there is much room for prequels alone. People Can Fly is making Judgement.....freeing up Epic as we speak. You know this and yet you still said that Epic resources would be tied up with gears when clearly those reigns have been handed off now.

Multiplayer is the heart and soul of the franchise. Most people dismissed Gears as a good story (which is disapointing).

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Corey said:

So first 2 paragraphs talk about a never ending story arch. ok. That doesnt address my point that Gears will last the generation with Judgement (and you for some reason doubting that). I also said you think Gears is being milked when there are currently more Uncharted games out now. These 2 points have nothing to do with story arcs.

In regards to story arcs........Gears of War lore has a 80 year war called the pendulum wars that predated Eday. E day till end of Gears 3 took 15 years.Hell they can pull a Halo 4 and make a new sequel trilogy somehow. Point is I think you need to learn that Gears has a vast time period to exploit a few more games out of at least. Think about that next time you say the story arc is over.

No argument about Halo. Seems to be going in the right direction with a heavier emphasis on story. As a Halo fan and a avid reader of all the novels, its a welcome developement.

You seem to have this issue with corporations actually "making" their games. Yes MS doesnt have many 1st party studios and they have opened up some new ones this gen. But they do secure games buy making deals with 3rd parties.In the end, the result is the same: 360 gets games that Nintendo or Sony dont get. What does it matter to you if it was made by MS employees or not? Again, the result is the same.

Im not saying Gears wont last through til the end of this generation. I am saying it dont think it will get past it and if they do Microsoft would have to pay them a large sum to force a hole in the finite story they already have (In the game that is) which has already reached closure much like God of War. The difference as well between Sony doing it and Microsoft doing it is they are standing in the way of Epic focusing on larger new IP's. If they bought Epic then by all means, its not like Epic didnt say they wanted to focus on PC games next gen (Yes...yes they did). They gave closure to the story of Marcus Fenix and come on Marcus was the heart and soul of the franchise. His leadership helped the supporting characters. Milking has everything to do with the validity of the storyline. Super Mario and Zelda have been milked to death in this case, but why does no one care? Its because it has no story arch or ending moment that retires the character. It is just not provided...those characters can last forever. In the same vein Nathan Drake can have hundreds of missions and adventures because this world clearly has so many historical myths, legends and archeology stories. They could even make up one but have used historical ones as well. Nathan Drake has clearly become a staple mascot for Sony.

The pendulum wars bit makes sense though, but it seems like Epic is content unless Microsoft pays them. Closure has been brought to the story and Halo never had closure, because everyone knew Master Chief would be brought out of cryo sleep whenever Cortana needed him. This was hinted at earlier in the gen. Again, Cliff Blezsinski has said that Gears will last as long as Microsofts pockets run on Gametrailers numerous times. Judgement may be cannon but the media regarded it as a spin-off, especially being that it was handed to People Can Fly. I am sure Epic has bigger fish to fry with the PC crowd next gen as they've said before.

Again there is much room for prequels alone. People Can Fly is making Judgement.....freeing up Epic as we speak. You know this and yet you still said that Epic resources would be tied up with gears when clearly those reigns have been handed off now.

Multiplayer is the heart and soul of the franchise. Most people dismissed Gears as a good story (which is disapointing).

I agree with you mostly here. You're right, in the gaming realm the heart of these games is the gameplay. The problem with the perception of the Gears story is actually Epics fault when dealing with the script . Trust me I love the Gears franchise, just never read any books. The only game this gen that has warrented me to extensivel buy its books is Mass Effect. Anyhow, Epic had the script written based on the three game contract they had with Microsoft which gimped the validity down to three games. Its like how I love the anime series Gantz but the main story only lasted 26 episodes in the DVD set but was continued in the Manga. Halos story wasnt conveyed very well by Bungie in the games which is why I felt barely anything in what should've been the "last stand" of Reach. I had fun in the games but the storyline was only a briefing point for me before the multiplayer. With what 343 is doing and it seems they took a lot of former Sony members, but they are actually focusing alot on fleshing out the story of the dramatic realm within Halo, which how I think the books always meant for it to be treated. Even the anime of Halo was more emotional than the game.

As for the Epic resources bit, yes I agree that People Can Fly is handling the same engine and structure Gears of War 3 was built on now with Judgement, but IF Gears lasts til next gen you know who is making the next gen version. 

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Second thread today I've seen that has pointless comparisons between sony and microsoft. I don't see the argument here honestly. It's no secret that Sony has more core exclusives, and it's no secret Microsoft has better selling exclusives. One reason would be because quality. Regardless, whoever said something about Microsoft not owning gears, really? They released Gears of War on PC, Windows which is also owned by Microsoft. Some people have no clue what they're talking about. Microsoft is not just a gaming business. Gears will never be on another product other than a microsoft product as Cliff Bleszinski has stated before.

QFT!

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Corey said:

I agree with you mostly here. You're right, in the gaming realm the heart of these games is the gameplay. The problem with the perception of the Gears story is actually Epics fault when dealing with the script . Trust me I love the Gears franchise, just never read any books. The only game this gen that has warrented me to extensivel buy its books is Mass Effect. Anyhow, Epic had the script written based on the three game contract they had with Microsoft which gimped the validity down to three games. Its like how I love the anime series Gantz but the main story only lasted 26 episodes in the DVD set but was continued in the Manga. Halos story wasnt conveyed very well by Bungie in the games which is why I felt barely anything in what should've been the "last stand" of Reach. I had fun in the games but the storyline was only a briefing point for me before the multiplayer. With what 343 is doing and it seems they took a lot of former Sony members, but they are actually focusing alot on fleshing out the story of the dramatic realm within Halo, which how I think the books always meant for it to be treated. Even the anime of Halo was more emotional than the game.

As for the Epic resources bit, yes I agree that People Can Fly is handling the same engine and structure Gears of War 3 was built on now with Judgement, but IF Gears lasts til next gen you know who is making the next gen version. 

Loving the debate guys, keep it up!

Argh_College said:

So thats why Halo 4 will outsell everything this year from others 1st parties Console manufacters?

Do you really believe Nintendo will sell less than 10M of software this holiday? Really?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Argh_College said:

So thats why Halo 4 will outsell everything this year from others 1st parties Console manufacters?

Do you really believe Nintendo will sell less than 10M of software this holiday? Really?

Think he means just Sony. We all know Nintendo 1st party sells like crazy. Unless this guy is seriously in the dark on the very website that shows evidence of this lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Pavolink said:
Argh_College said:

Think he means just Sony. We all know Nintendo 1st party sells like crazy.

"will outsell everything this year from others 1st parties Console manufacters"

It looks like he worded poorly, but yes, it will outsell Sony easly.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile