By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less And Less Single Player Only Games.... (I am leaving this site behind me soon)

Are single player games dieing???

Yes: very fast 32 27.12%

Yes: very slowly 34 28.81%

No 49 41.53%

Who needs singleplayer... 2 1.69%

Total:117

For the most part Sp games that added a multiplayer aspect have been pretty good(Uncharted, AC, Bioshock2, yes i enjoyed it) and at worst it didnt do anything to hurt the SP. The only game that comes to mind is RE5, which IMHO should be played in co-op

Around the Network
oniyide said:
For the most part Sp games that added a multiplayer aspect have been pretty good(Uncharted, AC, Bioshock2, yes i enjoyed it) and at worst it didnt do anything to hurt the SP. The only game that comes to mind is RE5, which IMHO should be played in co-op

Funny thing with RE5 is that it's probably in the top 3 best games I've played this gen because of the coop.  I've beaten the crap out of that game with my buddy and cousin.  Now if I were to play that game single player, I'd probably slice my wrists.

I dunno for me COOP is the best thing ever. Just make singleplayer games and then add coop to the single player experience who cares if its less immersive and makes no sense in terms of story or is easier etc.

Playing coop is awesome. I wish xenoblade had local and online coop..... T.T

Btw whats the point it asking for a permaban just dont come back why make extra work for the mods? Weak personality? (no offence im just curious)

Sadly yes, well for me I feel that soon multiplayer is going to be the only way to play. Which I don't like, I enjoy playing by myself where I don't have to worry if someone is with me, if they're high enough level, if they're get on soon, etc. I think it's more fun to just alone and not get into a fight with someone I know or not because they want to do something else. 

I don't really see the problem as long as the multiplayer doesn't come at the expense of having quality single player. For instance, games like NSMB Wii and Borderlands 2 are still a blast to play in single player, the multi just makes it even more fun. But I never felt like the quality of single player was compromised in those games. I think if anything, we're trending towards more games like those with equally enjoyable single and multiplayer.

What I DON'T like are situations like Modern Warefare/Black Ops where the single player is very short and feels more like it was rushed in favor of a more robust multi. Now the multi is still a lot of fun, but when I buy a game I should expect the single player to be fun in its own right, to the point where it could be a stand alone game without the aid of multi to give it its appeal.

Around the Network

this notion of if it has multiplayer then single player must be compromised it starting to piss me of. im fully a single player person. but these single player games that are bringing in multiplayer are doing just that. all it is in an addition on top of a product. if you dont want to play that side of it dont. I cant see how adding multiplayer is a problem in anyway even though i myself never play multiplayer

I don't think single player is dying, although if it is, I'll stop playing video games. Hope multiplayer will only become an option to these single player games and they do not generally affect the experience.

darkknightkryta said:
oniyide said:

Funny thing with RE5 is that it's probably in the top 3 best games I've played this gen because of the coop.  I've beaten the crap out of that game with my buddy and cousin.  Now if I were to play that game single player, I'd probably slice my wrists.

I agree that is kind of my point. Its boring as a SP game

Farsala said:
Agreed, One of the only games that made me appreciate this gen was Bioshock and it did not need multiplayer to do it. The sad thing about your list, is that their are many many more then what was listed. It would take forever to list them all. One game where I feel the singleplayer was great and multiplayer was good was Halo 2. Then Halo 3 they went to focus on multiplayer and the singleplayer just wasn't good to me imo.

I think the Halo trilogy is the perfect series to demonstrate this trend.

I would argue that Halo: CE has the best single-player campaign, and the least impressive multiplayer. Halo 2 has a somewhat lower single-player campaign and improved multiplayer. And Halo 3 has the best multiplayer (some of the best multiplayer ever) but the weakest single-player campaign.

So the trilogy followed a trajectory symbolized by the graph below, where BLUE is single-player and RED is multiplayer, and the intersecting point represents Halo 2.

Now, all three are great games. But I think they declined gradually in quality as the trilogy wore on because of that focus on multiplayer at the expense of single-player.

But it's not as if this trend started with Halo. I would identify GoldenEye as the game that made multiplayer matter on home consoles. After 1997, you started seeing multiplayer modes in games that really didn't need them. I still don't know why Donkey Kong 64 had competitive multiplayer.

Halo and the advent of Xbox Live certainly pushed the trend forward, and as a result the industry has a weird preoccupation with online multiplayer. And I do think it is directly or indirectly hurting rich single-player experiences.

However, this is also a matter of supply and demand. It seems like many more video game enthusiasts want a pick-up-and-play multiplayer experience over a long, sometimes grueling single-player-only experience. According to some people in the industry, as many as 90% of players don't finish the single-player campaign. http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/tech/finishing.videogames.snow_1_red-dead-redemption-entertainment-software-association-avid-gamers?_s=PM:TECH

ThePS3News said:

It Seems like we're seeing less and less of purely singleplayer games without any co-op, multi-player, MMO-ness or social networking.

Not sure what to say about that. On the one hand you are right, singleplayer isn't as big anymore and that's what I dislike (small campaign, then go online for hours of gaming). But on the other hand, co-op sucks nowadays. It's mostly just the singleplayer campaign with 2-3 extras like "do this while your partner does that to get through here". And to go further: co-op doesn't add anything but repititive hours to the game. Games tend to only save progress, stats and achievements/trophies for one player only which is total crap. Why should I play a game like 4 times to get my stats up. I like (couch) co-op but the way it is handled with game saves it simply sucks.