By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So....Are we ready to admit there will be no PS4 in 2013....or shall we "Hope & Dream" further?

sergiodaly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
sergiodaly said:
people are all forgetting that one EA boss, did mention that EA has already dev kits from MS and SONY...
the OP argument that, there is no sign of PS4 is void...

True, surely PS4 should be in a quite advanced development state even if the release date were in 2014, while SW devs already having received dev kits could mean a release anywhere between 2013 and 2014, as we don't know precisely when they received them.

don't know and don't care for the release date... but the OP had a base of argument that is not true... just pointing that out...
Also some Sony PR and chairman had also mention PS4 as a reality.

Yeah...EA said they had a sample kit...So what?

Do you not know that several sameple dev kits go around this time and still nothing is final?

EA isn't Sony.....They aren't even AMD or Nvidia, or Intel.....And like I said, when the console is truly coming, we'll know it from the horses own mouth, as it has happened for the past 15 years, without fail....Same as we knew about the Wii U, 1 1/2 before launch.

Consoles don't spring forth from out of nowhere.

Around the Network

If the PlayStation 4 launches and completely blows away the competition then it won't matter which launched first. The problem the PS3 had was being at minimum $100 more than the Xbox 360, which also launched a year before it, the Wii launch was right around the corner (hell it launched two days after the PS3 in North America) for $250 and the system didn't have a blockbuster system selling title on day one or in the launch window.

The PS3 had Resistance...and a terrible Gundam game...and a terrible Genji game...and terrible everything else. Oblivion was delayed, Devil May Cry 4 was delayed, Lair was delayed (but ultimately was one of the worst games this gen anyways...)

Attractable price, must have day one game content (Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 6, Final Fantasy Versus XIII [Yes I've given up on it releasing this gen], a Metal Gear Solid [Main Story installment], Killzone 4, etc.), and a kick ass advertising campaign can do wonders.

Tridrakious said:
If the PlayStation 4 launches and completely blows away the competition then it won't matter which launched first. The problem the PS3 had was being at minimum $100 more than the Xbox 360, which also launched a year before it, the Wii launch was right around the corner (hell it launched two days after the PS3 in North America) for $250 and the system didn't have a blockbuster system selling title on day one or in the launch window.

The PS3 had Resistance...and a terrible Gundam game...and a terrible Genji game...and terrible everything else. Oblivion was delayed, Devil May Cry 4 was delayed, Lair was delayed (but ultimately was one of the worst games this gen anyways...)

Attractable price, must have day one game content (Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 6, Final Fantasy Versus XIII [Yes I've given up on it releasing this gen], a Metal Gear Solid [Main Story installment], Killzone 4, etc.), and a kick ass advertising campaign can do wonders.

While I agree with the basic idea of what you're saying, the Wii had a Zelda game and Wii Sports at launch. Those were clearly blockbuster/system selling games.

But yeah, had PS3 been $100 cheaper with at least one good game.. exclusive game... it would have done better. But you have to point out that when you align launches, PS3 did outsell 360 every year.

superchunk said:
Tridrakious said:

While I agree with the basic idea of what you're saying, the Wii had a Zelda game and Wii Sports at launch. Those were clearly blockbuster/system selling games.

But yeah, had PS3 been $100 cheaper with at least one good game.. exclusive game... it would have done better. But you have to point out that when you align launches, PS3 did outsell 360 every year.

I'm just putting up the defense for the PS3. However, this was Sony's battle to lose and unfortunately the PS3 struggled in this battle for the first two years. It has made a roaring comeback, but that was due to the incredibly difficult work teams like Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Media Molecule put in to make sure the games they produced would be great.

Another thing to point out is if the Wii didn't release so close to when the PS3 did...things might have also been different. Had the world economy hadn't crashed, that would have helped too.

However, the PS3 launch started the system off very poorly.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148135

That suggests MS is coming 2013 and if MS is coming...

http://gamepolitics.com/2012/06/06/sony-we-want-be-best-not-first-ps4

Repeats that at E3 2011 Sony said they won't let MS launch before them again, but they don't have to be first overall.. i.e. not an issue Wii U is first.

Its all coming fall 2013.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148135

That suggests MS is coming 2013 and if MS is coming...

Repeats that at E3 2011 Sony said they won't let MS launch before them again, but they don't have to be first overall.. i.e. not an issue Wii U is first.

Unless Sony isn't ready to launch as well, then PS4 will be the last out of the gate.

To be honest, though? They might want to give this some serious thought before just throwing it into the market because Microsoft might get there first. 2011, when they said they wanted to beat MS out of the gate, they didn't have the worse financial statements they do now. Your second link makes more sense, their thoughts that 'not about being first, about being best' seems like the more rational approach.

They seriously need a better launch than the PS3 had and to not lose 200 bucks per console at the start this time, so they should work on ensuring that, not worrying about who's out first.

superchunk said:

Actually, that source article (C&VG) makes it sound even more likely that PS4 won't arrive in 2013.

If you notice, every statement from Tretton...

"Sony admitted last year it would be "undesirable" to let Xbox 720 get a significant head start on PS4, BUT, the company says quality is more important than getting to market first."

"We've never been first, we've never been cheapest, it's about being best"

"I think if you can build a better machine and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long-term."

"the number one goal is to be the best machine and that's what we're always focused on."

... was a direct response when asked if PS4 would launch before MICROSOFT'S console, which is almost certainly coming holiday 2013.

While I don't think it's impossible that PS4 will release next year, when you consider that Sony has more big games for PS3 for 2013 (TLOU, GOW, 3EYOND), an inevitable price drop to $199 for next holiday, and the fact that Gamestop's CEO said that they only expect one next-gen console to release in 2013, it's looking less and less likely.

Here it is Officially October, and I'm still awaiting for this mythical PS4 to at least be acknowledged by Sony.

How much longer should I wait?
Surely if it's coming in 2013, it can't be too much longer, right?