By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U storage preferences

I ended up getting the white basic. I'm not big on DL games (Haven't DL anything to the Wii in roughly 2 years) though with GC games being available, that may change. If so, then the 8gigs of internal storage will fill up quickly (GC games were up to 1.5 gigs right?) We all know Wii U will support SD cards up to 64GB and external HDD of any size. I hope we can access and play files right off the added storage, and not be forced to move games and files to the system and back.

At any rate, I think I'm going to go the SD route for the Wii U and buy a 64GB SD card. To those future Wii U owners, what are your plans? Any benefits over SD card vs an external HDD other than space? I'm under the assumption and SD card will access files faster, and less prone to failure than the HDD.

Around the Network

I don't need mega-amounts of space, but I pre-ordered the special Premium Edition nonetheless.

Not because of the 32GB, but because of the included ZombiU and Pro Controller. And because it's black. My Wii is white, so I wouldn't want a white WiiU. If they'd released consoles in color, I would've gotten that.

I do like demoes though, so the 32GB will probably be filled with those.

I am going to try and get the black 32 GB version. If I need more space I will probably buy a 32 SD card. I assume they will have something similar to the Wii SD card channel for games saved to the SD card.  I don't really care to download full retail games but I will download a lot of WiiUWare and VC games.  Downloading full retail games makes sense on a handheld but I don't really care for it for a home system.

I got the Deluxe bundle. I prefer physical retail whenever possible, but download-only games and demos take up a lot of space, and I don't like 'cleaning out the fridge' so to speak. I want to avoid having to tether a big, ugly hard drive to my console as well. I'll use an SD card if necessary, but 32GB should be more than adequate for me.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I pre-ordered the 32GB Deluxe Edition, moreso for the Nintendo Land pack-in as well as the other goodies the Deluxe Bundle comes with.

I'm not a huge Online/DLC purchaser, but it's always nice to be prepared. I have a 500GB USB Hard Drive that was used to back up an old computer a while ago. I'll just dust it off, wipe the old data, and use it for my Wii U. Boom. Future Proof!

Around the Network

i own a 1 TB HDD so i will go that route if i need some extra space, which i really doubt
im buying the 32GB model with Nland and ZombiU

I own a 1tb hd that currently has 450gb of One Piece anime only. So that leaves me with 550gb for other things, like more One Piece

o got the black one because if i wanted to get the WiiU stand as well as the gamepad charger candle as well ass the stand I would probably end up paying more!

and who knows how many games I will be getting this time as there is already Nanostray nano something on WiiU launch in EU so i will be getting that one. plus you get bonus (something) when you buy a game online which you can then use for later purchases and also Nintendo land of course.

and black is sexier!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

32 GB will be enough for me initially. I don't know how much space I'll need but an USB HDD seems like a good choice. Hopefully partitions will work with the Wii U as I've plans to get an external HDD for my laptop anyway.

I got an old 500GB USB HDD that I don't use anymore, will probably use that if I need to.