By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U storage preferences

blkfish92 said:
32gb sounds like total acorns, we all just need to know how big the average downloads are going to be. I'm sure there will be plenty of "nintendo arcade" games to get released in due time.

Well, your early generation limit is looking at a max of 25GB per full game, if you went digital, I went digital for PC games, several hundred pc games, I dont think I want to do that again, with the console I will keep things physical media where possible

Around the Network
jlrx said:
JEMC said:

For those who are talking about getting a 64GB SD card, Nintendo said that WiiU was compatible with up to 32GB SDHC cards.

BE CAREFUL!

OT: Since I don't plan to get one at launch, I'll wait to see how the content management, demos, download games, etc. come to life. And then I'll probably go with the cheaper one because even 32GB of flash storage isn't that much if you plan to buy many digital games/DLCs, so some kind of external storage will be needed.

I agree, I was going to mention that, however since most of the difference between SDHC and SDXC (greater than 32GB) in formatting, a device can be updated to support SDXC easily, though if you put an SDXC card in an SDHC only system, it will be formatted to SDHC. An SDHC card reader can easily be updated to support SDXC depending on the manufacturer (this according to the https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/)

Didn't they do an update with the original Wii to add SDHC support?  I'm not too sure but I believe that the Wii might have just supported regular SD at first.  Not really sure since my VC and WW games barely take up any space and I've just used a 2 GB SD card since the beginning.

jlrx said:
JEMC said:

For those who are talking about getting a 64GB SD card, Nintendo said that WiiU was compatible with up to 32GB SDHC cards.

BE CAREFUL!

OT: Since I don't plan to get one at launch, I'll wait to see how the content management, demos, download games, etc. come to life. And then I'll probably go with the cheaper one because even 32GB of flash storage isn't that much if you plan to buy many digital games/DLCs, so some kind of external storage will be needed.

I agree, I was going to mention that, however since most of the difference between SDHC and SDXC (greater than 32GB) in formatting, a device can be updated to support SDXC easily, though if you put an SDXC card in an SDHC only system, it will be formatted to SDHC. An SDHC card reader can easily be updated to support SDXC depending on the manufacturer (this according to the https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/)

But then one has to wonder why is Nintendo limiting the WiiU to SDHC when going SDXC is so "easy", giving their push for digital content.

@Viper1 : I'm not interested in NintendoLand and I have a spare 32GB pendrive that I could use. The other extras (stand, GamePad charging station, etc.) are more appealing to me.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Viper1 said:
JEMC said:

BE CAREFUL!

Go deluxe.

Free game and earn a return on the purchase price of yrou digital downloads.

I wouldn't say free game since I don't think 24GB of NAND memory costs that much but the game is definitely cheaper therefore a much better deal to go deluxe 100%

I'm probably gonna buy a external hard drive casing and a 2.5 inch 5400 rpm hard drive between 500 GB and 1 TB big.

Sharkoon have some very slick HDD cases imo.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Didn't they do an update with the original Wii to add SDHC support?  I'm not too sure but I believe that the Wii might have just supported regular SD at first.  Not really sure since my VC and WW games barely take up any space and I've just used a 2 GB SD card since the beginning.

Correct.  The Wii originally only supported SD cards and ws updated with System Menu 4.0 to support SDHC cards.

JEMC said:

@Viper1 : I'm not interested in NintendoLand and I have a spare 32GB pendrive that I could use. The other extras (stand, GamePad charging station, etc.) are more appealing to me.

Is Spain not getting the ZombieU bundle?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Smeags said:
I pre-ordered the 32GB Deluxe Edition, moreso for the Nintendo Land pack-in as well as the other goodies the Deluxe Bundle comes with.

I'm not a huge Online/DLC purchaser, but it's always nice to be prepared. I have a 500GB USB Hard Drive that was used to back up an old computer a while ago. I'll just dust it off, wipe the old data, and use it for my Wii U. Boom. Future Proof!

My Wii collections takes up 388 GB of space, and they're not even HD games.

noname2200 said:
Smeags said:
I pre-ordered the 32GB Deluxe Edition, moreso for the Nintendo Land pack-in as well as the other goodies the Deluxe Bundle comes with.

I'm not a huge Online/DLC purchaser, but it's always nice to be prepared. I have a 500GB USB Hard Drive that was used to back up an old computer a while ago. I'll just dust it off, wipe the old data, and use it for my Wii U. Boom. Future Proof!

You have over 80 Wii games?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper
of course we are getting it
just preordered :D

Viper1 said:
noname2200 said:
Smeags said:

You have over 80 Wii games?

I'll have to count, but it's probably close to that number, yes.