By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the 3DS die in the West the same way the PSP did?

RolStoppable said:
About the only reason people are going to buy a 3DS for will be playing 3DS games while for the PSP it was more often than not anything but playing PSP games. That's the crucial difference.

People bought PSP to play SNES games. It's Nintendo's fault for not releasing new SNES games.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
RolStoppable said:
About the only reason people are going to buy a 3DS for will be playing 3DS games while for the PSP it was more often than not anything but playing PSP games. That's the crucial difference.

People bought PSP to play SNES games. It's Nintendo's fault for not releasing new SNES games.

I giggled.

The PSP, by this point in its life, has 2 games that sold 2 million in the Americas, and 8 more that sold over a million.

The 3DS already has 2 games that have sold over 2 million, and the 3DS already has 8 other announced/released games that will/have sell at least a million. (Pokemon, Smash Bros, NSMB2, Orcarina of time, Paper Mario, Luigis, animal crossing, and Nintendogs.

That's right, the 3DS already has as many announced system sellers in the Americas as the PSP.

Nintendo actually doesn't need third parties to sell their system, unlike Sony.

What Nintendo needs from third parties is for them to fill in the gaps and keep a steady-ish flow of content in between their big gun franchises (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, etc.).

Because the 3DS is going to be the market leading platform for Japan for the next few years most likely, the 3DS is guaranteed to be supported with franchises like Kingdom Hearts, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc. and things like Bravely Default, which ensures a good amount of games.

That's good enough for Nintendo. They can do the rest. The DS didn't have many great games from Western publishers either but still amassed a very nice library.

Just wait till Pokémon 3DS comes out and you'll feel silly for ever making this thread.

Around the Network

I think the thread title should be changed to "Will the Vita die in the West the same way the PSP did?" Because the thing has barely been out for 6 months and already it's on life support.

3DS is still pretty pricey... once it hits the mass-market friendly price of $129.99, which was what its predecessor cost (excluding the DSi and XL models), coupled with an original Pokemon game made specifically for the system, it will sell tons, probably not enough to top the DS but a great deal nonetheless.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
I think the thread title should be changed to "Will the Vita die in the West the same way the PSP did?" Because the thing has barely been out for 6 months and already it's on life support.

At this point, Vita will be VERY lucky to go out "the same way the PSP did."

No, it won't do PSP numbers. It's already tracking faster and actually has software releasing unlike the PSP which had little software in the west. So far however, I see the 3DS doing worse than DS due the huge contraction of the casual market (Nintendogs, Brain Training, etc...).
Still, it looks like it's getting much better 3rd party support especially from Japan. I see it doing GB numbers in the west (80m combined) and slightly lower DS numbers in Japan (>25m).

Really all it took was a couple of Mario games and the 3DS is selling just as well in North America as it is in Japan. If this thread had been created several months ago, it would have been much more relevant. But as it stands 3DS is selling equally as well in every major region.

It won't do anything near Western DS numbers, but that doesn't mean it will do a PSP