By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the 3DS die in the West the same way the PSP did?

spurgeonryan said:

Those games, Minus a few others, are the only ones that interested me. Played NXMB 2 at Gamestop when I pre-ordered my pre-order the other day. Will get it for kids later this year. I can wait.

Get it now. It's worth it.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Nintendo just made black and white 2 for it. Now reggie want to pS2 the wii and probably the DS as well. Will the DS be out of the picture anytime soon?

Reggie can do whatever he wants, he doesn't make the games or decide what games get made. His only job is to market the products Nintendo sends him. Look at the upcoming releases... hardly any DS games at all, loads of 3DS games. The fact that GameFreak decided to make the latest Pokémon game for the DS isn't any kind of indication of continuing support for the console. Heck, historically, GameFreak has released a Pokémon game in America for each handheld console after the release of their successors. B2/W2 is nothing new for them at all.

Can you name a single DS game due out next year? I certainly can't. Meanwhile, the 3DS is picking up steam, with Castlevania, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Monster Hunter all due to release in America next year, all definitely in the first 6 months with the possible exception of Fire Emblem.

DS may continue to sell a paltry amount of consoles in NA for the next couple of years, but it's already dead, and without any more major software releases it will continue to die while 3DS begins to thrive. Check the chartz... globally, DS is being outsold by every other tracked console, including PSP and Vita, so far this year. In America, it's been outsold by its successor 5:1 every week since the XL launch.

The only area 3DS is lagging behind is software sales, and we'll see where the upcoming holiday season and subsequent first half of 2013 leaves it. I can't believe this thread is even still a thing. 3DS is an enormous hit and it's only growing.

spurgeonryan said:
Your avatar creeps me out noname...

2D mario is always fun! The original DS version was a system seller and worth the price of admission just for it. Is the new one as good?

It's better than the original one. The first world is a throwaway, unfortunately, but it quickly gets much better. But the coup d'grace is Coin Rush mode. Worth the price of admission there alone, especially if you live someplace you can Streetpass regularly.

Although if you liked the original mostly for the multiplayer, be warned that co-op in this game sucks balls. Big stumble there.