By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will sell under 40 million units

Wii U won't even sell past 20 million

Around the Network
thatguymarco said:
Holy shit. What the hell where these guys thinking when the Wii U came out? Seriously, I knew that the Nintendo bias was strong here, but "no chance for under 50m", c'mon maaaaaaaaaan, that's just hilarious. XD

The goal posts just kept getting moved back. 

"Wii U will have a better 2015 than 2014, just wait for the price cut!"

Is basically the new lowered expectations version of "no chance Wii U won't hit 50 million!" from 3-4 years ago. 

Look like my prediction of Wii U and Vita not hitting 40 million combined LTD from Nov. 2013 is panning out to be fairly spot on. Lots of denial there too like "PS4 will cause a big boost in Vita sales!" ... lol. 

Even before the release it didn't take a genius to work out that this thing was gonna kind of bomb.

25 M at best if they released one Mario kart each year

16-17M in réality

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

LOOOL, this thread.

Funny I thought the Wii U was a problem from the get go but even I thought Nintendo's software+ a lower entry price would secure it 40m. I don't think anyone predicted how messy it would become.

To be fair, before launch the software line up looked much better (Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101 all scheduled for launch). Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest X were also expected to be big sellers :/

Around the Network

Very funny, I wouldn't have predicted it'd bomb like it did either.

superchunk said:
man-bear-pig said:

May I ask why?

It is already showing great game support and demand from consumers.

It will sell far more than 40m. I'm not sure how much yet as I kind want to see how it does first quarter 2013, but I'm think it will be in PS360 territory at the moment.

Oh dear. ^^

BenVTrigger said:
Unfortuantly for those of you disagreeing with me I have a rediculous accuracy when it comes to these things mostly to do with the fact that I see real numbers every day and dont carry any personal feeling into numbers.

And anyone saying 40 million or less are very wrong. Casuals are the ones doing much of the current pre-orders

This is why I don't make many predictions.

I really can't tell whether there are serious flaws in Wii U or not, but having planned to use the same Wii brand, Ninty killed Wii far too early. Instead of seeing it slowly declining as it was time for its successor, people saw Wii suddenly plummeting and rotting by itself, when 7th gen as a whole was still strong, but the Wii brand was actually dead and buried.
It's not just matter of lack of 1st party support, but also awful marketing, Iwata went out of the blue declaring Wii dead and obsolete so long before launching Wii U that when the latter eventually launched, people didn't care anymore.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

DanRybacki said:
Even before the release it didn't take a genius to work out that this thing was gonna kind of bomb.

Judging what everyone was expecting, no it was a big flop on Nintendo's part. Even I was expecting almost double GC sales when it released, but once 2013 flopped, yeah it became apparent that it was doomed. Also the 70% sales slash in 2014, that just put the final nail in the coffin.

z101 said:

I think the Wii U will be the bestseller among the next gen, unless Microsoft or Sony has something up their sleeves beside Kinect 2/Move 2 and better graphics.

At the moment it seems that the Wii U already got Japan (with Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Mario, etc.) even before Xbox8 and PS4 arrive.

So I bet 70-80 Millions worldwide.

For Sony. This company is in a big financial crisis since six years that got worse from year to year. Sony could possible collapse in the next 1-3 years and the playstation brand will be history. If this scenario becomes reality the Wii U could reach 90-100 Mio.

jejeje, I love when prediction threads are brought back to life.  This one in particular was a really interesting one.

But I'll admit I was wrong as well, because I was counting with Nintendo cutting the price a lot earlier in its life cycle.  So I was expecting more than 40 millions for sure.

Thought this thread was a no beginner till I saw it was from 2012

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion