By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How much/when will Microsoft drop the price of the 360?

MrMafoo said:
madskillz said:

The PS3 offers nothing more, except an HD player built in, that will attract the average gamer. Maybe they will see the PS brand, but Sony has to find a cure or it will not rebound. Look at the numbers. Folks were claiming the PS3 was making the comeback - that will send the 360 packing ... but I don't think selling 12K really is sending someone packing.

You can say what you want - MS isn't perfect, nor am I a 360 fanboy because I see flaws in it too - but I just get a kick out of reading not only your posts, but diehard PS3 supporters who are totally convinced in blind devotion that it's the best thing since slice bread.

A few flaws in this.

1. It's 13K, but more importantly, it's 10%. This week the PS3 sold 10% more. Let's see where that number goes. If that number keeps growing (and it has grown), the 360 is in trouble.

2. You are a fanboy, just not of the 360. You are VERY pro MS. You have made clams that MS has never made a mistake that was not minor... no one other than an MS Fanboy would ever make that clam.

3. Ok, yet again I have to say this (and I think I have said it to you before). In reference to the part of your post I bolded. Exclusive content sell consoles. Period. If you think all the PS3 brings to someone living room that the 360 does not is an HD player, you miss the point of why anyone buys one console over another all together. Let's say this together three time shall we?

Exclusive content sell consoles.

There, let's hope you never forget that, and not say something as ridiculous as you just claimed. (the PS3 offers nothing over the 360 other than an HD player).

I mean, if that were true, I wouldn't own both of them.

Edit: I updated it just a bit. And to drive my point home, what HD player should someone buy right now? I mean the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD when looked at from a hardware perspective are the same. Both play the same quality movies, why buy one over the other? Oh yea, Exclusive content.

I am pro MS because I got sooo tired of being shafted by Sony. I have invested in products just to watch Sony orphan them quickly. I could see giving it a year or two, but not just ripping off the lifeline. And as you stated, exclusive content sells consoles. Look at GTA on the PS2. The series moved several million copies, and several consoles. What's the attach rate - not sure, but I can say look at the GTA numbers on the PS2 vs. the Xbox - and you'll see a huge difference.

Though I have HD DVDs, and yeah, I do love the sharpness, but I have told people to wait. The jump from DVD to HD isn't big enough to justify its purchase. I would recommend someone buying an HD player when prices hit in the mid 150s, and movies are under $15. Until then, I wouldn't go either format. Blu Ray has to do a better job with features that should have been implemented at launch.

And I stand by my statement. If the PS3 offered more, it would have cut deep into the 360 lead. Exclusive content sells consoles - and guess what? It's doing just that. The PS3, though, has an HD player and that is what Sony is touting. They'll make much, much more money on movies than games. And what's sad is - they know folks will buy games, no matter what.

Right now, the only reason I'd buy a PS3 NOW is to be able to play my PS1 and PS2 games on it. I could care less about Blu Ray - and don't need wifi, HDMI and the like to game. Gamewise, just a few interest me - F1 and Uncharted - but that's it. Maybe more folks will get excited with there are games that really offer a unique experience on the PS (like Uncharted). 

Around the Network

Arcade: $249
Premium: $299
Elite: $399

I agree with everyone saying that this will happen right before GTAIV comes out.

misterd said:
thekitchensink said:
@Starcraft: I'm sorry, but that's just incorrect. Wrong. 100% wrong.

-Splinter Cell Conviction.
-Ninja Gaiden 2
-Fable 2
-Banjo Kazooie 3 (if it comes out this year)

Those are just the ones I could think of that met your criteria.

1. Is SC going to be enough of a draw? I wonder if the plethora of SC games (6 in 6 years) hasn't watered down the name brand.

2. I'm not sure Fable 2 will be able to expand beyond the XBox base.

3. I am a huge Banjo fan, but am dismissing BK3 as a factor right now. Rare's work has been too spotty,and BK skipped a generation, which puts it's fanbase in doubt.

4. PR-wise, those games simply do not stack up against FF13,GT5, MGS4, Tekken 6, Jak and Dexter. Add in the MP titles (GTA4, DMC4, Silent Hill 5, SC4), and some of their own new IPs (LittleBigPlanet), and 2008 looks as good for Sony as 2007 looked for MS, if not better. 

Its highly unlikely that most of those ps3 games will come out next year

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Lord N said:
madskillz said:
Lord N said:
madskillz said:

MS is a very patient copy. The Xbox was just a trojan horse to get the 360 to the table. If it worked, cool - if not, they were expecting that too.

The big difference between the Xbox and the 360 is - the appeal and its dominance over Sony - for the time being. Sure, Halo 3, Mass Effect and Bioshock are out, but don't for once think MS has used its big guns yet. MS was the one who pushed for a later GTA IV date. Remember?

I am looking at this from a purely business standpoint. MS rarely - RARELY makes mistakes. That's my plan if I was running the MS entertainment division show.

For Sony to win, take the loss and force MS to counter. I would also sign tons of exclusive games to the system and get the games out, not delayed. One delay and our contract is null and void. Time is of the essence. I would rather win and leave on top or a close second than win by default.

I'd hardly call a lead that's only because of a headstart any kind of dominance.

MS doesn't make any mistakes?

-RROD, disc scratching, and various other hardware design flaws that were ignored and allowed to fester and worsen until they turned into PR nightmares.

-360 priced at double mass market price point from the beginning.

-Failure to drop the price in a timely and effective manner.

-Failure to make sure that the game library of the 360 was more diverse instead of the majority of its high-profile titles being shooters, racing sims, and sports games.

-

And yet, they are sitting close to 17M consoles sold, and easily overshadowing the progress of the original Xbox.

As far as MS mistakes, let's compare:

MS - RROD, disc scratching (which happens a lot when you turn your Xbox vertical or horizontal while the disc is playing), Windows Vista and ME - though in defense of MS, I never buy an OS until Service Pack 2 hits - and a few gaming misses

Sony's greatest hits - BetaMax, UMDs, Minidisk, ATRAC® music format, exploding laptop batteries, PS2 disk read errors and Super Audio CDs

Funny that you'd mention the 360 pricing ... it still got a ton of sales, even while being supply constrained for several months. There was also no need for MS to do a price cut - they were comfortable with sales for nearly 2 years and making profits, so why cut into those profits with a price cut? Sony did it within 6 months of launch because they were desperate for sales. And the lineup is very diverse - shooters, sports games, RPGs, driving games - even casual games.

Sony has to find a winning formula to make this race put them into the black ...

Citing Sony's failed proprietary media formats doesn't mitigate that MS does indeed make mistakes(big ones in some cases), which was my point to begin with.

Your second paragraph is so absurd that I don't even know why I'm replying to it. Tons of sales? That's real funny. After a year on the market, it had all of 6 million sales. Even this year, with a price cut and the release of its biggest franchise, it still only managed 8 million sales, and from the looks of things, it's never going to sell much more than that in a given year as the sales rate of a console is pretty much fixed after its second year. Its sales are moderately decent in one market while poor in the others. They weren't making any profits either, and I don't know what's going on in your head to make you post that. They had one profitable quarter, which was most likely due to Halo 3. The Xbox also had a profitable quarter when Halo 2 launched. Like I said, that lead it has over the PS3 is only there because of the earlier launch. The difference in sales between the two since the PS3 released is rather insignificant. Anyway, the point is that MS has really fucked up with the 360's pricing. The fact that it's still above mass market price point after more than two years on the market should tell you that.

As for the software line-up, like I said, the 360's most prominent titles are shooters, racing sims, and sports games. It has titles in those other genres, but they're really nothing to write home about. Basically every RPG attempt on the 360 has been an unmitigated failure as far as sales are concerned, and after two years on the market, it hasn't a single prominent platformerThis is true, action gameWhat's an 'action' game? Are shooters and fighting games not action games?, fighting game Dead or Alive 4. That game has its' own World Cyber Games event. 'Nuff said, or offstyle racer to its name.It's got plenty of big racing games--Forza 2 and PGR 4 to name two

MS has not improved its standing in the market at all. The 360 will end up in the same position as the Xbox, a distant, unprofitable second. You say it's coming in second? So it IS going to beat the PS3 after all...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Lol. Lord N!!! Your a RAGING fanboy. There are some people that offer remotely justifiable reasons why the PS3 will beat the 360, but you don't even manage that. It's just a bunch of made up facts and baseless opinions rather than anything reasonably based in fact.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I find the X360 really expensive now considering what the vg system is offering now.

My thought was clear. I really imagined a new model of X360, clearly positioned on the HD format with HD-DVD inside. With the cheap prices of HD-DVD players, Microsoft would push its console into the HD video market easier. But it didn t happen.
The firm only focused on the profitability of the console this past year. I was looking forward to see a kinda super Elite console for 2007, in competition with the PS3, even cheaper thanks the HD-DVD format, but nothing happened.
So, I had no choice but to buy a PS3.

I don't think the system is expensive at all given it currently has easily the most extensive library of AAA titles available out of all three next-gen titles and plays the one movie format that sees every single release with upscaling that makes them look similar to native high-def.

^it does have the best library so far but the price is a bit high for alot of people

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Of course I agree Brute, the console is far from mass-market priced. But given the guy was complaining about value for money and then bought a PS3..........

I think I can conclude the consensus is a that a $300 premium will be available when GTA4 is released.

But what do you think the price in Europe will be by that time? So far in this generation the old world has been paying way more for their consoles because of the falling dollar. A $300 console should only be about €240 (with tax). Will they drop the price to €250? I'm afraid they won't.