By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Richest Man in France Seeks Belgian Citizenship

Mr Khan said:

Because he's trying to dodge a civic duty, no different than throwing a draft dodger in jail.

... You support a draft?

Around the Network
homer said:

How can you believe this to be fair? His money is his money. Not your money. Not my money. Not France's money.

Without the infrastructures and the society that exists, you think he would have got all of that "his" money?

@SamuelRSmith: This doesn't apply to capital gains, only to wages and bonuses.

For couples the household income must surpass two million euros for the 75% tax to apply.

People that earn over 1 million euros doesn't pay 75% of their income. It doesn't work that way. It applies only to each euro over 1M.

Example: Somebody who earns 1.4 million euros would pay 35%*1M (I don't know the "normal" french tax rate so I'm using 35%) + 75%*0.4M. He (or she) will pay 650K euros and keep 750K euros.

Hollande claims that this will last two years (We'll see).

Player2 said:

For couples the household income must surpass two million euros for the 75% tax to apply.

People that earn over 1 million euros doesn't pay 75% of their income. It doesn't work that way. It applies only to each euro over 1M.

Example: Somebody who earns 1.4 million euros would pay 35%*1M (I don't know the "normal" french tax rate so I'm using 35%) + 75%*0.4M. He (or she) will pay 650K euros and keep 750K euros.

I didn't claim it did apply to capital gains?

Europe is in heaps of debt. The Budget cuts are not enough and tax cuts for high income earners only increases the deficits and adds to the debt. The only way to reduce deficits and debt is to: implement Budget cuts, increase tax rates on companies , consumption tax and/or increase income taxes. 

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Player2 said:

I didn't claim it did apply to capital gains?

When nuckles claimed that 75% was done before in America, you said that capital gains was only 25%. It seems that France is going to do the same.

Mr Khan said:
homer said:

How can you believe this to be fair? His money is his money. Not your money. Not my money. Not France's money.

Because he's trying to dodge a civic duty, no different than throwing a draft dodger in jail.

It's one thing to believe in high taxation of high incomes, but you really support the government's ability to force you at gunpoint to put your life in danger and fight for their questionable foreign policy goals?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

killerzX said:
the2real4mafol said:

It just shows how pathetic the rich, can't even handle a simple tax increase. I agree 75% is a bit much, but it's what you have to do, if you are in debt. I think 50 to 60% tax on the rich is fairer. Even the 45% tax on those who earn above £150,000 I think is fair, better than the ridiculously low taxes of America. Maybe, Hollande is a bit nuts on this.

But either way, a bad economy usually caused by moderates (liberals and conservatives) normally leads to the far left (communists) or far right (fascists) getting power, nearly always. If people aren't happy with Hollande, they just vote in the fascist Le Pen next time, who were 3rd in this year's election!

wait... are you telling me you are glad to pay taxes, and that you dont seek out any exemptions or deductions? you pay the full rate no questions asked?

the bolded doesnt even make any sense

Marine Le Pen is leader of the national front (far right wing), which are known as fascists or nazis

But anyway, no in reality no one really wants to pay taxes, but it has to be done. Because of that, the rich should pay more taxes than an ordinary person (in percentage terms). I don't see how it's fair, if the rich don't pay hardly any taxes. Plus taxes, should only be low when a countries economy is doing well.

Despite this, i still think 75% is very excessive, even if it's on a billionaire (despite them still being rich!)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Wow a 75% tax? That's almost at World War 2 tax levels holy shit. Lol and I love how they call it the "fairness law" or whatever it was called (the word fairness was used though) so that it sounds legit and people don't realize it's just stealing.

When are governments ever going to actually cut spending, because clearly cuts need to be made, no matter how hard you tax the rich that won't create more revenue to pay for the ridiculous programs we have.

Kantor said:
Mr Khan said:
homer said:

It's one thing to believe in high taxation of high incomes, but you really support the government's ability to force you at gunpoint to put your life in danger and fight for their questionable foreign policy goals?

Basically. Wars should be justly fought, but when the call comes, you should be there to answer for it, even if you protest conscienciously.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.