By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3 Games Rare Made That Would Have Been Successful on the Wii U

Around the Network

They made Nintendo style games on a non-Nintendo system, so yeah def. would have been better staying with Nintendo. That being said, I haven't played any of those games. I just want David Wise to do the music for the next Donkey Kong game and supposedly he is no longer under contract with Rare anymore.

slalom

Microsoft can keep them.

Today's Rare is not 90's Rare.

Perfect Dark Zero was an awful game. It wouldn't have done well on any system, felt like a N64 shooter on the 360. And I'm really sick of people saying that MS screwed Rare, Rare screwed themselves by making awful game after awful game.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

1 - Banjo

One genre that Nintendo is lacking is the collect-a-ton and banjo is simply the best in the world. DK could be a substitute - Country series remains and a new DK Planet challenger appears.

2 - That's it.

I miss Rare a lot, but for me their best games were made with Nintendo franchises, except for Banjo, of course, their best creation. Viva Pinata would be cool, but hardly necessary

Timesplitters 2 & 3 were pretty much Perfect Dark on a Nintendo console. Sure, they weren't PD and they were a bit more silly, but all the basics were there. It's a shame Free Radical is gone.

Viva Pinata got a DS installment, which basically worked as described (one screen for doing stuff, one screen for watching stuff happen). I have no doubt that Nintendo would have marketed it better and it would have suited their demographic more, but the overlap between Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon/Viva Pinata might have been a bit much.

Banjo Kazooie I can agree with, although 3D platformers in general have died this generation outside of Mario's finest efforts and possibly Ratchet (which is barely a platformer in all honesty).  I suppose BK could've been Nintendo's collectathon game.

I´d like to see a proper Banjo game, not that lame (imo) Nuts and Bolts title that was released a few years ago, though if we ever see one (doubt it) it´ll be for an Xbox system, unless MS sells the IP.

But I don´t think Rare is still able to craft an excellent platformer anymore, at least not compared to the N64 games.

Rare is dead, and nothing is going to change that.

I mean think about how may IPs the company has that were hugely successful and that you would think they could do wonders with on an HD console... Banjo, Killer Instinct, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, PD etc.

And what has Rare given us since being bought by M$, a company that supposedly is more in tune with "core" gamers than Nintendo ever was? Let's see

Grabbed By The Ghoulies
Conker Live and Reloaded remake (arguably their best game on any M$ system)
PD Zero
Kameo
Viva Pinata
Banjo Nuts and Bolts, an abomination of the original series
XBLA ports of N64 classics like Banjo and PD
and now Kinect Sports.

This is clearly not the same company that helped make Nintendo so successful in the 90s.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.