By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3 Games Rare Made That Would Have Been Successful on the Wii U

NightDragon83 said:
JGarret said:
happydolphin said:
Point 2 contradicts with point 1.

Point 3 is the only interesting one.

For everything else, it's time to move on. Now Nintendo fans have retro, they will become great and greater than the Rare of yore.

Retro is great, but to become greater than the Rare we knew from the 5th generation..well, at least in my opinion they´d have to release more games in a certain amount of time.

Rare was golden, they´d release one game every year

ahem...

Donkey Kong Country 3 -- 1996

Killer Instinct Gold -- 1996

Blast Corps -- 1997

GoldenEye -- 1997

Diddy Kong Racing -- 1997

Banjo Kazooie -- 1998

Jet Force Gemini -- 1999

Donkey Kong 64 -- 1999

Perfect Dark -- 2000

Banjo Tooie -- 2000

Mickey's Speedway USA -- 2000

Conker´s Bad Fur Day -- 2001

Look at that!...imagine Retro doing that.

Make that an average of TWO games per year!  You don't even see alot of major 3rd party developers doing that these days.

Oh, I didn´t remember those games..well, even more impressive!...and huge, huge shame on what they´ve become.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
JGarret said:
happydolphin said:

For everything else, it's time to move on. Now Nintendo fans have retro, they will become great and greater than the Rare of yore.

Retro is great, but to become greater than the Rare we knew from the 5th generation..well, at least in my opinion they´d have to release more games in a certain amount of time.

Banjo Kazooie -- 1998

Jet Force Gemini -- 1999

Banjo Tooie -- 2000

Yeah, good point. Rare was pumping them out at an incredible rate. I don't see Retro doing that for some reason, they don't seem to be the type to like to reuse code and optimize their output.

Not to mention that Retro has been around for over a decade now, and they have yet to put out a single game that's not based off an existing Nintendo IP.  Rare on the other hand had roughly half of their N64 library of games based on new and original IPs.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

JGarret said:
NightDragon83 said:
JGarret said:
happydolphin said:

ahem...

Blast Corps -- 1997

GoldenEye -- 1997

Banjo Kazooie -- 1998

Jet Force Gemini -- 1999

Donkey Kong 64 -- 1999

Perfect Dark -- 2000

Banjo Tooie -- 2000

Make that an average of TWO games per year!  You don't even see alot of major 3rd party developers doing that these days.

Oh, I didn´t remember those games..well, even more impressive!...and huge, huge shame on what they´ve become.

lol, I know some of those aren't as well known, but how could you forget games like Goldeneye, DK 64 and Perfect Dark?!?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I would've loved to see a Banjo similar to the old ones.

I think the people who used to work there in the SNES/N64 days are probably long gone.

miz1q2w3e said:
I would've loved to see a Banjo similar to the old ones.

I think the people who used to work there in the SNES/N64 days are probably long gone.

I think Retro is hiring. Nintendo should probably actively seek these  talented people.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
JGarret said:
NightDragon83 said:
JGarret said:
happydolphin said:

ahem...

Blast Corps -- 1997

GoldenEye -- 1997

Banjo Kazooie -- 1998

Jet Force Gemini -- 1999

Donkey Kong 64 -- 1999

Perfect Dark -- 2000

Banjo Tooie -- 2000

lol, I know some of those aren't as well known, but how could you forget games like Goldeneye, DK 64 and Perfect Dark?!?

Yeah, shame on me, especially since me and my friends spent countless hours playing Goldeneye.Getting old, I guess >_>

I think a rare game that would be a smash hit on the Wii U would be Kinect Sports... just rebrand and make it the Wii Sports pack in with the console :P

If the Wii U was launching with a Perfect Dark game, I think it'd almost certainly be the no.2 best selling game after Mario.

But there are few other possibilities that would be fun to speculate about:

Killer Instinct Returns - Given the resurgance of 2D fighters (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat somewhat), a new KI could really kick ass.

GoldenEye/007 - I think Nintendo + Activision could work out a deal where Rare could develop 007 games, including a "real" remake of the original N64 GoldenEye for the Wii U. Activision and Nintendo share the profit, Nintendo fans get exclusive content.

Donkey Kong Country U - Now that Retro is working on something seemingly original, DKC could shift back to Rare. Re-hire David Wise for the music too.

Someone nailed it good already. Today's Rare, isn't 90's Rare.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
Someone nailed it good already. Today's Rare, isn't 90's Rare.

Most of the people who worked on Metroid Prime have left Retro too.

With the state of the industry today, Nintendo would probably be easily able to re-stock Rare with high end talent from around Europe and probably bring back a lot of former Rare employees too (David Wise for one is basically doing nothing these days).

I wish Nintendo never made that deal. IMO whatever they would've paid for Rare in 2002 (the remaining 50% share) would've been paid off as I think franchises like Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, Killer Instinct could've been steady money-makers for Nintendo on the Wii + DS.