By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874
Fusioncode said:
RolStoppable said:

This thread is much better than any sort of election. If you want to see a certain mod gone, get some of your buddies together and make a case against said mod (or the mod team as a whole). The rest of the community can chime in as they see fit and the mods can't shut down the discussion. Because if they did, they would have to lock this thread; and once they do that, they are making the point that they are a bunch of selfish scumbags. Thanks to the existence of this thread, there's no easy way out for them.

A large part of the community isn't even aware of this thread since it doesn't show up in hot topics. If you notice it's only the same dozen or so people posting in this thread for the last few months. I like the idea of putting certain moderators up to a vote, never going to happen though. 

I think more people are probably aware of it than you think.  I was certainly aware of it before I started posting in it.  I post in it a lot now though because after I posted in it the thread starting showing up in my topics everytime somebody posts something new...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Fusioncode said:

A large part of the community isn't even aware of this thread since it doesn't show up in hot topics. If you notice it's only the same dozen or so people posting in this thread for the last few months. I like the idea of putting certain moderators up to a vote, never going to happen though. 

The Hot Topics show the top three recently active stickies, and stickies are right at the top of the entire list. The reason that it's mostly the same people posting in this thread also has a lot to do with only a few people being able to put a solid argument together.

On a second thought, voting for moderators could be very interesting. Of course, it wouldn't happen through a poll because they are worthless due to their nature. All votes would have to be public in the form of posts and under such conditions most of the naysayers would get cold feet. Therefore it would be very surprising if even a single mod wouldn't attain a majority of approval.

nah, there would be a couple that would get the boot.  Personally, I wouldn't vote any of them out, but I think a couple of moderators have quite a few enemies on here that would joyfully show them the door.  

As to if that system would be very effective... Well I would guess the moderators would  stop enforcing the rules as effectively under such a condition.  As they might get fired by the community if they tick too many people off.  Depending on what camp you are in on that subject, that would be either good or a bad thing...

Dislike? No, disapprove recent actions yes, unwilling to admit being wrong does get me geared up for a crusade

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Fusioncode said:
RolStoppable said:
BreedinBull said:

If mods really want a measure of their performance, they should put their jobs up to a vote each year. If they make it, they did a good job, if they don't, well obviously the majority of the community felt they did a not so good job. For example after Sony's E3 conference, a mod chat was posted where mods were calling the PS4 the portstation. Calling the PS4 that will get anyone banned. Except a mod of course, so there should be group or voting that the mods should be held accountable to. Of course the mods won't feel like they need any one to hold them accountable to, un less it's another mod which would then defeat the whole purpose. So anyone think something like this should be looked into, as this become a mod and run rampant like a dictator/god on the forums isn't cutting it.

Also, is this some private thread or something? Kinda weird it doesn't behave like other threads when someone comments in it.

This thread is much better than any sort of election. If you want to see a certain mod gone, get some of your buddies together and make a case against said mod (or the mod team as a whole). The rest of the community can chime in as they see fit and the mods can't shut down the discussion. Because if they did, they would have to lock this thread; and once they do that, they are making the point that they are a bunch of selfish scumbags. Thanks to the existence of this thread, there's no easy way out for them.

Yeah, this thread really does fly uner the radar.

Thanks jlmurph!

Ka-pi96 said:
A vote on mods would be a terrible idea. Some people don't like mods for whatever reason, but the mods are just following the rules of the site. The mods can't do much about that. If the mods see someone breaking rules they mod them, they shouldn't stop doing that just to win popularity points.

How would it be a bad idea? No one person would be able to get rid of or create a mod. The majority of the community would have to make or break a mod. And the mods that go by the rules are fine, but mods that see no problem for example calling the PS4 the portstation and posting a thread about it is obviously trolling while hiding behind the protection of being a mod. There should be some kind of moderation for the mods as they just hide behind this "we collectively as a mod team have all consoles so we can't be biased." Which is pretty much crap. If they are so certain they are doing a good job then let the ones affected by their job have some say in it. Just an idea of course.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network

Ka-pi96 said:
BreedinBull said:
Ka-pi96 said:
A vote on mods would be a terrible idea. Some people don't like mods for whatever reason, but the mods are just following the rules of the site. The mods can't do much about that. If the mods see someone breaking rules they mod them, they shouldn't stop doing that just to win popularity points.

How would it be a bad idea? No one person would be able to get rid of or create a mod. The majority of the community would have to make or break a mod. And the mods that go by the rules are fine, but mods that see no problem for example calling the PS4 the portstation and posting a thread about it is obviously trolling while hiding behind the protection of being a mod. There should be some kind of moderation for the mods as they just hide behind this "we collectively as a mod team have all consoles so we can't be biased." Which is pretty much crap. If they are so certain they are doing a good job then let the ones affected by their job have some say in it. Just an idea of course.

Because people hold grudges against mods. Maybe they never liked them before they were a mod, maybe it is because they were banned before by that mod (even if the ban was justified). Having a vote would allow people to just attack the mods they don't like even if they were adhering exactly to the rules.

Again, how would one mod get singled out by one person? If one mod bans say 3 people in a community of 10. And those other 7 feel the mod did a good job by banning those 3 people, then that 70% of the vote would keep that mod in. So I don't see how a few bad apples would suddenly go after one mod since you rarely see one mod hunting down all offenders, it is usually spread out across a few of them. Way less people get banned than don't get banned, so that would already tip the odds in any mods favour as there are less bad people who need moderation in the first place.

Thanks jlmurph!

Ka-pi96 said:
BreedinBull said:

Again, how would one mod get singled out by one person? If one mod bans say 3 people in a community of 10. And those other 7 feel the mod did a good job by banning those 3 people, then that 70% of the vote would keep that mod in. So I don't see how a few bad apples would suddenly go after one mod since you rarely see one mod hunting down all offenders, it is usually spread out across a few of them. Way less people get banned than don't get banned, so that would already tip the odds in any mods favour as there are less bad people who need moderation in the first place.

That would be true if everyone in the community voted though. I expect most people won't bother while those that dislike certain mods would be much more likely to try to vote them out.

To use your example... if only 5 people from that community voted (including the 3 that had been banned) then the mod would be voted out despite most people not having a problem with them.

While that is an excellent point and scenario, the chances of that happening are the same as it not happening. All 10 people could vote against the mod or all 10 could end up voting for them. 0 out of the 10 could vote and then nothing happens. An endless (well obviously not endless endless) number of scenarios can play out so to hold off because of the negative scenarios is putting less value on the positive scenarios.

Thanks jlmurph!

BreedinBull said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well the important part is that it wouldn't be a majority of the community but just a majority of the part of the community that decided to vote.  Regardless of that and assuming that voting would show an accurate measure of what the whole community feels I'd still have to disagree with the concept.

Part of being a moderator on a forum is being dislikd if you actually do the job.  People don't like when the rules are upheld against them and I think you'd see most of the moderators voted out everytime or the moderators would be too afraid to do anything acgually meaningful because it might make them unpopular.  It'd be an interesting experiment to see how people would vote in that scenario but I can't see it being beneficial.  Moderators have to be upheld to standards, but that can only be done by the head mod.  He sets the standards and he decides how far he's willing to go to uphold them.  I suppose one could vote ini and out the head mod and that would allow for larger changes to how things are moderated without crippling every individual moderator, but I doubt even that would work.  

Miguel_Zorro said:
Fusioncode said:

This thread is stickied right at the very top.  Including in the Hot Topics view.  If somebody doesn't notice it, I think the problem is on the user end.

This thread does not show up on the forum hot topics on the main page when someone comments in it like other threads.

Thanks jlmurph!

Miguel_Zorro said:
Torillian said:

Well the important part is that it wouldn't be a majority of the community but just a majority of the part of the community that decided to vote.  Regardless of that and assuming that voting would show an accurate measure of what the whole community feels I'd still have to disagree with the concept.

Part of being a moderator on a forum is being dislikd if you actually do the job.  People don't like when the rules are upheld against them and I think you'd see most of the moderators voted out everytime or the moderators would be too afraid to do anything acgually meaningful because it might make them unpopular.  It'd be an interesting experiment to see how people would vote in that scenario but I can't see it being beneficial.  Moderators have to be upheld to standards, but that can only be done by the head mod.  He sets the standards and he decides how far he's willing to go to uphold them.  I suppose one could vote ini and out the head mod and that would allow for larger changes to how things are moderated without crippling every individual moderator, but I doubt even that would work.  

The moderators do well in the "Greatest User" tournaments.  I think mods that are good at the job would also do well in a moderator vote.  I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Cage matches would be cooler. Fox only, no items, final destination.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.