By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do you feel about the performance of the VGChartz mod team?

How is the VGChartz mod team doing?

It's doing a great job. 299 32.97%

It's doing okay. 143 15.77%

It's not doing well. 432 47.63%

Total:874
Conegamer said:
gergroy said:

well, saying somebody is anal does have negative connatations (and possibly perverse...)  but yeah, basil kind of overreacted.  It definitely isn't that insulting... Like Rol said, neither side should have been moderated...

Yes indeed, that was the case. The actual content isn't too bad from Faxandu; it's more he got offended, asked him to stop and told him why we was offended and then continued on regardless. The initial post if you check isn't actually moderated, but it is the one afterwards which is. 

For example if I were to call you a fuddy-duddy and then you tell me to stop doing it, then I immediately call you it again; regardless of that; then that's a bigger offence IMO. Yeah it's an overreaction, but even so it seems like he's just baiting him into a more aggressive reply.

Also I've already explained my stance on Basil's post (apologies for not putting in the mod note, that was careless as I was distracted by Basil's PM) and I stand by that. Is it harsh? Yes, maybe it is. I said that above as well.

As you know, most of the time I do indeed post a warning in a thread; either before or during an argument. But the whole thing was completely unneeded and unusual from both sides (continuing when asked to stop by one party, overreacting and posting the needless "reported" comment by the other) and as both were due just a warning I decided to stop it right there and punish both parties right off the bat. 

Ok, but was a mod warning neccessary at all?  The conversation was essentially over amd I think a general warning would have been more than enough.  Since neither side really broke any forum rules.  Specifically basil, I dont see why his post would need an official warning, thats just going overboard.

as for the other guy, I think his second post was an explanation of what he meant in an attempt to calm basil down.  He certainly didnt mean anything bad by it.  I still think both warnings should be overturned!

Around the Network
gergroy said:

Ok, but was a mod warning neccessary at all?  The conversation was essentially over amd I think a general warning would have been more than enough.  Since neither side really broke any forum rules.  Specifically basil, I dont see why his post would need an official warning, thats just going overboard.

as for the other guy, I think his second post was an explanation of what he meant in an attempt to calm basil down.  He certainly didnt mean anything bad by it.  I still think both warnings should be overturned!

Looking at the bolded, I think I answered your question already. It really was a 50-50 decision; I came down the side of the official warning whereas others may have come down on the other side for a general warning. I'd have understood why they went for a general warning (as you said things were pretty much over in the conversation department; or so it seemed), but I went the other side. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you want to say it is harsh, then yeah I could agree with that in retrospect. However that doesn't mean I disagree with the decision I made.

One other quick point, though. I would like to apologize for any offence either party has taken to it. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made as was the case here, but that doesn't mean it's a personal thing nor an attack on the character of the user (or indeed their general quality). Note this is true for all moderations; from me at least.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Ban gergroy.

Give him the image of a bad boy and rebel.

whom?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Ban gergroy.

Give him the image of a bad boy and rebel.

Lol, As you can see from kirby's response, it wouldnt do anything for my image as nobody would notice... Because as you say, nobody knows who I am!

Conegamer said:
gergroy said:

Looking at the bolded, I think I answered your question already. It really was a 50-50 decision; I came down the side of the official warning whereas others may have come down on the other side for a general warning. I'd have understood why they went for a general warning (as you said things were pretty much over in the conversation department; or so it seemed), but I went the other side. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you want to say it is harsh, then yeah I could agree with that in retrospect. However that doesn't mean I disagree with the decision I made.

One other quick point, though. I would like to apologize for any offence either party has taken to it. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made as was the case here, but that doesn't mean it's a personal thing nor an attack on the character of the user (or indeed their general quality). Note this is true for all moderations; from me at least.

It just strikes me as moderation for moderations sake, rather than keeping the peace and enforcing the forum rules.  Look, I agree with most of the moderations you do, but sometimes you have to remember that you are keeping the peace and creating a safe place do discuss things, not looking for what can be moderated.  I think you may have crossed that line in this case...

Around the Network

Ryan hot modraped

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

spurgeonryan said:
-snip-

You were banned for spam because your thread offered no decent topic of discussion. Your last moderation (a warning) for creating a spam thread was on February 13, 2014. Since it hasn't been six months since then, you earned a day ban for a repeat offense. That's the simple answer. Cone and I both saw the thread, and made the call. It was an easy one.

Here's some of the comments the thread produced by the time I locked it:

Loll... What websites have you been going to recently? :/
Just, I have no words for this.
Speechless.
Why would you do that?
You need help.
You feeling okay, spurge?
What is this I don't even...

So yeah, the thread was getting nowhere and it was obvious there was no decent direction for the thread to go to. And of course the topic of rape had something to do with the ban. Your poor choice of topic derailed the thread before it even began (hence the pointless/spam topic). You might treat the issue of rape lightly, but the mod team does not. If you want to have an open conversation about rape and how it affects us on a human level, go ahead (but you better be respectful about it, because it's a real issue with real victims).

As for your little quip about the mods who don't post as frequently as you'd like, you'll say that it's a random point that means no harm, but you've done it before to try and take a shot at another mod. So I won't ignore it and I'll post what Truck posted on your wall when you tried to discredit him for not being as "active" as you'd like:

"While you have every right to not appreciate me and I surely don't consider myself the greatest user on VGC, I do pride myself in the contribution I make to this forum. Both by my participation in threads and my efforts to provide a friendly environment to debate and talk games for all through my duties as a moderator so I thought I'd let you know that when you go in and pretend that I'm "hardly ever here" I find this hurtful, unfair and insulting. Have a good day!"

They put in the work because they care about this site. You might not see it, but a user can be so much more than forum posts and wall conversations. And like everyone else, they have lives outside of this forum and they can spend it however they'd like. But they're mods because they put in the work to make this site a great place for everyone who wants to be part of gamrConnect. Don't worry yourself about their activity Spurge. There's no need for it.

I win spurge, I joked about rape in this thread and wasn't even moderated, and already i get banned for flexing my pecks.. they just hate you

You need to stop thinking that you're being victimized Spurge. I can categorically tell you that isn't true.

Your thread was locked and you were moderated because the thread was considered to be spam. The thread didn't have an awful lot of relevance, the question was distasteful and the replies were going nowhere. After we had earlier discussed so-called-"Spam" threads earlier that day there's wasn't too much more we could do unfortunately. This is the reason you were banned. Nothing more, nothing less.

So yeah. That's simply all there is to it. There's no conspiracy, there's no victimization and there's no pleasure taken in this ban regardless of what you or others think. And if that thread was made by some other user they also would have been moderated. Not a ban maybe depending on their recent history for spam (remember, you've been banned several times for this but it was only a one day this time; reflecting on your good behaviour) but moderated nonetheless.

Also I know Smeags has said this all before but all the moderators help out the site in their own way and to the upmost of their capability. Not everyone wants to or are able to post all the time, and that's fine. But they're still moderating; they're still in the mod chat helping with tricky decisions and they're still an integral part of the team, regardless of what you may think. Was it not you, indeed, who said this to me a couple of days ago Spurge?

"sometimes people just do the best they can with what they have to talk about their hobby here."

Have you perhaps thought that the other moderators who you mentioned are doing the same? I can assure you the mod team takes things very seriously and that's because we enjoy the site and the members and we "just do the best we can", as you do. Just because you may not see them posting in every thread; doesn't mean they aren't helping. Far from it.

Also I've just realized that you've made 9 threads in about 6 hours; thus nullifying your whole argument.