By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Do You Feel About Bethesda?

Where Would You Rank Your Satisfaction of Bethesda?

Excellent 31 20.81%

Good 23 15.44%

Okay 22 14.77%

Poor 16 10.74%

Bad 13 8.72%

Terrible 24 16.11%

DIE! BETHESDA DIE! 20 13.42%

Total:149

Well Fallout 3 and Skyrim were easily two of this gen's top 10 games IMHO. Even though it was frustrating putting up with the bugs in New Vegas (that's what happens when you hand development off to a 3rd party), there's no games I spent more time with this gen except perhaps COD4.

By the way, Bethesda aren't the only developer to snub PS3... remember when Valve passed off the PS3 version of The Orange Box to EA resulting in a shoddy port, and completely left the L4D games off of PS3 citing its difficulty to work with before finally fully supporting it with Portal 2?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

After the masterpiece that was morrowind, the only pieces of software to even remotely come close to that level of epic was fallout 3 and New Vegas (even another developer made something better than them), not their two miserable elders scrolls sequels. Can you believe that?

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

BenVTrigger said:
Blame the PS3s RAM structure as Ive heard thats the biggest problem

so how come they are the ONLY developers that seem to have such an issue with it. They are absolutely to blame. 

OT, they are meh to me, honestly never liked the Elder Scrolls series, not into the D&D fantasy theme. Loved Fallout3, and i never really had any issues with it, until i started getting the DLC for some reason it acted really wonky after that. I skipped New Vegas becasue everyone i know pretty much told me to just play Fallout3 again.

NightDragon83 said:
Well Fallout 3 and Skyrim were easily two of this gen's top 10 games IMHO. Even though it was frustrating putting up with the bugs in New Vegas (that's what happens when you hand development off to a 3rd party), there's no games I spent more time with this gen except perhaps COD4.

By the way, Bethesda aren't the only developer to snub PS3... remember when Valve passed off the PS3 version of The Orange Box to EA resulting in a shoddy port, and completely left the L4D games off of PS3 citing its difficulty to work with before finally fully supporting it with Portal 2?

The Orange Box is one of the first games i got for PS3 and the shoddiness of the port is way overexagerated, Bethesda games from what ive heard and experience make Orange Box run smooth by comparison. Yeah they finally supported PS3 in the end, but Bethesda still cant get it right.

Bethesda pushes hardware MUCH harder on RAM than 99% of all other software titles. Something like Skyrim is going to be much more demanding than something like a linear Uncharted.

Obviously Bethesda could probably optomize their engine better but the PS3 is honestly a bit slower than the 360 in terms of RAM speeds and I think thats what is making Skyrim so problomatic for them.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
BenVTrigger said:
Blame the PS3s RAM structure as Ive heard thats the biggest problem

so how come they are the ONLY developers that seem to have such an issue with it. They are absolutely to blame. 

OT, they are meh to me, honestly never liked the Elder Scrolls series, not into the D&D fantasy theme. Loved Fallout3, and i never really had any issues with it, until i started getting the DLC for some reason it acted really wonky after that. I skipped New Vegas becasue everyone i know pretty much told me to just play Fallout3 again.

To be fair the problem is, from what I've been explained(someone please correct me if I'm wrong), that every item in skyrim needs to have its position saved if you move it. So the more you play, the more objects you interact with, the bigger the save gets. Eventually the save file gets too big. The 360 version would have the same problems too but since its ram isn't split you would need to play the game for obscene amounts of hours and move around a ridiculous amount of items to get a big enough save. On the other hand the problems with the ps3 version usually occured before the typical player had finished doing everything they want to in the game, at least before the game was patched. I'm not sure about its current state since I only own the PC version.

Either way I do agree that it is ridiculous the ps3 game shipped out like that. They should have scratched or delayed the ps3 version if they knew the game would have issues during even a normal playthrough. As for the dawnguard expansion. I'm guessing it causes the problem to occur much sooner since they are adding more areas and items. They already fucked up once so surely they wouldnt want to release a dlc that makes the game become unplayable significantly sooner.

This is a tough question for me.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV are two of my favorite games ever (on PC). I've logged so many hours on them and I have soo many mods in place that there is always something new to play with.

However, that being said, the bugs are deplorable. I can't even shut NV down normally without it crashing, I have to use the task manager. New Vegas is an awesome game (and Old World Blues the best DLC I've ever played) but they made absolutely ZERO effort to fix the bugs from Fallout 3. None. People were having the same exact issues. That's really sad.

Then there is the timed exclusive DLC crap. They're basically telling the majority of their customers to go screw themselves because Microsoft's money is more important. After I beat it the first time, I was really pumped for the DLC, but that exclusive garbage move killed my enthusiasm. I only bought it because it was all on sale on Steam for like $2 each.

I guess I love them and hate them both. However, I have made the decision that I will buy nothing of theirs at full retail price, especially time exclusive DLC. That's why I'm waiting for Skyrim to hit $10.

I will buy Dishonored, but I have pirated Skyrim. I think I am ok with them.

Are they not releasing Dawnguard on PS3?!

The games are very good and fun. But it seems that they only make the games for PC's and port it to other platforms. That said I remember that also on PC they have major glitches and update after update to fix it. Maybe they want to put in too much in too little time, because it's true that they put in alot of cool stuf in their games compared to other Western RPG developers.