By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EuroGamer: How Powerful is the WiiU Really?

FrancisNobleman said:

Yes, sony can release an underpowered console, they did it with the PSone, which was behind the N64, and they did it with the PS2, which was behind the Gamecube and Xbox.

The PSX and PS2 weren't underpowered at launch tho. They were both the most powerful systems available at the time of their launch. 

The PSX was more powerful than the Saturn that launched the same year, and it smoked the 3DO and Neo Geo CD etc. The N64 was more powerful but it was released a year later. Same for the PS2 it smoked the Dreamcast which was released over a year earlier, but the Xbox and GCN which were released a year after were more powerful. 

Sony has never launched a console (or handheld) that was not the most powerful at launch. They always use cutting edge tech for their hardware. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
pezus said:
FrancisNobleman said:
pezus said:

Yes, but there was a clear jump from CoD PS2/xbox to CoD 2 PC/360, as well as from other xbox games to 360.

A minor one. Next to nothing. The best I recall is Kameo, that game was gorgeous, but so was Mario Sunshine.

The Wii U is facing the same problems with an added detail: diminishing returns. I bet many people can't see what is superior and not possible on X360 and PS3 in the japanese garden tech demo from E3 2011 and Zelda HD demos.

They are a clear jump. But a minor one. Next to nothing. Because there's no game pushing the console yet. The bird tech demo was made on a slugish second gen devkit according to a neogaf member.

A huge resolution jump is not next to nothing. Now there's not even that.

Yeah, we all know how reliable tech demos are

480p to 640p is a little jump talking about the cod franchise. And nintendo has a story of zelda demos being inferior to the actual final games.

Player2 said:
Hynad said:
Player2 said:
Hynad said:
DieAppleDie said:
Hynad
did you ever heard of F1?

Did heard...  2 past tense for the same verb... -_-

As for F1, I was staying inside the confines of the street legal stuff.  Otherwise, the original analogy would have to take into account super computers. ¬_¬

Radical SR8 LM. That thing is street legal. 6:48 in Nurburgring. Good luck finding a bike that fast. Bikes can't be as fast as cars because they can't use downforce to their advantage.

Depends on the parameters.  If it's a drag race, a circuit race, etc, you'll find different vehicles getting in the lead.  But I'd be curious to see a drag race between the Hayabusa and the Radical SR8 LM.  The Hayabusa does beat the SR3 RS.

If it is a drag race, the Veyron Super Sport will win due to 4WD and its over 1100 HP. Or the Ariel Atom 500. In a circuit, The Radical or the Atom will win. The best car will beat the best bike.

Hum, no. The Hayabusa has the Veyron beat.

This is just a news site reiterating the same rumored information except now I guess its suppose to suddenly become fact since they are saying it. On top of that all rumors say 1.5 GB as they did a year ago. Where did the drop to 1 GB come and no, the 512 system reserved wouldn't account for that as it would be still be 1.5.

The fact that it says the Wii U uses DX10 based hardware just throws it all out the door.

They selected the worst of the rumored specs on all accounts then coupled that with everything else the average anti-Nintendo fanboy would want to here. Same old gaming news media as always.

This is and the number of people who came to support this as fact where they denied all other information shows that peoiple really want the worst for Nintendo.

Just the same old rumors. No numbers, no names. Yet people are so quick to accept them on these accounts.

pezus said:
ninetailschris said:

Gotta love how people take the specs as true when we all ready seen two reports having two different specs.
This happens almost ever month THE SPECS ARE REVEALED!

Look how gullible @Baneavatar is . Probably believes ever single rumor that comes out from Eurogamer. LOL wait he did anyone remember Wii-U on par (eurogamer which they they updated they lie)article he believed just because of the title?

God I wish I was that gullible. 

This is fake anyone on release Specs and claim there true. What they did was probably base it around other articles then say SPECS reavel. It's pretty obvivious when you read it and sounds  like other other threads.

God I wish you actually read the article

Let's play did you read carefully?

""The Wii U is a nice console to work with because it's got so much RAM in comparison [to the PS3 and Xbox 360]," another Wii U developer, who wished [to remain anonymous], told us. "For E3 we simply dumped the whole game into memory and never once used the disc after the content was loaded from it.""

Positive or bad anoymous have no creditability.

""We're a GPU-heavy game," [the source continued]. "Wii U has a powerful GPU with more oomph than the rivals - and is more modern in architecture and shader support, which may come in handy later on.

"The CPU on the other hand is a different question. We are not limited by it but some other games might suffer from it. Still, because of the GPU, I expect most multi-platform games to look the best on Wii U, even if the difference might not be huge sometimes."

The mention of the Wii U's CPU raised our eyebrow - as it has done for many developers we've spoken to. While its clock speed remains private, most developers agree it is lower than the clock speed offered by the PS3 and Xbox 360's CPUs - disappointing for many.

It remains to be seen what impact this will have in the future, but we've been able to ascertain the impact it has already had. We were told that when early Wii U developer kits were sent to studios, Nintendo indicated the console would support four GamePads at the same time. But as the dev kits were refined and the tech specs fell into place, it became apparent this would not be the case."

^ All this from a source that is anoymous? Pezus wish you read carefully now?

"Then, the Wii U will lag significantly behind in the graphics stakes. At least, that's what we're [being told]. The next Xbox, we understand, allows developers to use the DX11 graphics standard to easily shift code from PC to the console. The Wii U supports DX10 (one of the reasons you won't see an Unreal Engine 4 game on it). And let's not forget that processor."

Who told you Eurogamer? Oh wait it's anoymous too right? Pezus look at this great proof man. Damn wish i read like you did. Hmm.

"The Wii U versions of multi-platform games shown to the public have done little to fill Nintendo fans with confidence. The Wii U version of Batman: Arkham City looks poor in comparison to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and the less said about Ninja Gaiden 3 on Wii U the better."

Come on guys if you can't see how idiotic this is then there something wrong with you. You can look up videos on youtube saying that when they played batman on Wii-U it looked better even the people who are amking it said it will look better. Where did he even get this from anoymous sorces again? Ninja Gaiden 3 one made me laugh because they said it will look better too. This whole article when quoting names never said anything negative about the wii-u yet the anoymous sources did? Hmm wonder who are these guys the same guys that said batman looked worst? LOL. Anoymous Source = Writer to get hits.

"Indeed, we've seen this before the console has launched. [One develope]r working on a Wii U launch game told us he was able to optimise his game's CPU main core usage by up to 15 per cent throughout the course of development, and further optimisations are expected before the game comes out."

Ok? Who is this one developer? See the pattern? This article is full of anoymous sources with real sources so you get confused and think everything is legit. 

Pezus I think its obvious you loss this one.

We been getting SPec reveals every damn week now this one is no different.

I probably wouldn't even trust them to quote someone correctly after article with Sega. There trying to do damage control so that article doesn't make them look so bad. It's sad but Eurogamer is a untrusted site.

Wait till 9/13 that's when we will get facts not based on I talk to random person whon will not be sourced.

What's left to say?

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:

""The Wii U is a nice console to work with because it's got so much RAM in comparison [to the PS3 and Xbox 360]," another Wii U developer, who wished [to remain anonymous], told us. "For E3 we simply dumped the whole game into memory and never once used the disc after the content was loaded from it.""

""We're a GPU-heavy game," [the source continued]. "Wii U has a powerful GPU with more oomph than the rivals - and is more modern in architecture and shader support, which may come in handy later on.

"The CPU on the other hand is a different question. We are not limited by it but some other games might suffer from it. Still, because of the GPU, I expect most multi-platform games to look the best on Wii U, even if the difference might not be huge sometimes."

The mention of the Wii U's CPU raised our eyebrow - as it has done for many developers we've spoken to. While its clock speed remains private, most developers agree it is lower than the clock speed offered by the PS3 and Xbox 360's CPUs - disappointing for many.

It remains to be seen what impact this will have in the future, but we've been able to ascertain the impact it has already had. We were told that when early Wii U developer kits were sent to studios, Nintendo indicated the console would support four GamePads at the same time. But as the dev kits were refined and the tech specs fell into place, it became apparent this would not be the case."

"Then, the Wii U will lag significantly behind in the graphics stakes. At least, that's what we're [being told]. The next Xbox, we understand, allows developers to use the DX11 graphics standard to easily shift code from PC to the console. The Wii U supports DX10 (one of the reasons you won't see an Unreal Engine 4 game on it). And let's not forget that processor."

Who told you Eurogamer? Oh wait it's anoymous too right? Pezus look at this great proof man. Damn wish i read like you did. Hmm.

"The Wii U versions of multi-platform games shown to the public have done little to fill Nintendo fans with confidence. The Wii U version of Batman: Arkham City looks poor in comparison to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and the less said about Ninja Gaiden 3 on Wii U the better."

Come on guys if you can't see how idiotic this is then there something wrong with you. You can look up videos on youtube saying that when they played batman on Wii-U it looked better even the people who are amking it said it will look better. Where did he even get this from anoymous sorces again? Ninja Gaiden 3 one made me laugh because they said it will look better too. This whole article when quoting names never said anything negative about the wii-u yet the anoymous sources did? Hmm wonder who are these guys the same guys that said batman looked worst? LOL. Anoymous Source = Writer to get hits.

"Indeed, we've seen this before the console has launched. [One develope]r working on a Wii U launch game told us he was able to optimise his game's CPU main core usage by up to 15 per cent throughout the course of development, and further optimisations are expected before the game comes out."

Ok? Who is this one developer? See the pattern? This article is full of anoymous sources with real sources so you get confused and think everything is legit. 

I probably wouldn't even trust them to quote someone correctly after article with Sega. There trying to do damage control so that article doesn't make them look so bad. It's sad but Eurogamer is a untrusted site.

Wait till 9/13 that's when we will get facts not based on I talk to random person whon will not be sourced.

What's left to say?

Thank you, good sir.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

zarx said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Yes, sony can release an underpowered console, they did it with the PSone, which was behind the N64, and they did it with the PS2, which was behind the Gamecube and Xbox.

The PSX and PS2 weren't underpowered at launch tho. They were both the most powerful systems available at the time of their launch. 

So is the Wii U. There's no other console as powerful as it.

Many people just don't stand the fact that Nintendo is the first one to have a next gen console. This reminds me of people arguing  in countless threads that the NGP was the true next gen and the 3DS was just on par with PSP, just slightly above, or so they wanted badly. NGP would put Nintendo to shame now, and be the "king" of portables because of... dual analog sticks? Revolutionary back touch surface ? *laughs*

That type of posters nowadays are nowhere to be seen on the internet. The post-mortem threads about those epic debates are now gold. 3DS vs PSV bullshit is over. But it was fun while it lasted.

Hynad said:
Player2 said:
Hynad said:
Player2 said:
Hynad said:
DieAppleDie said:
Hynad
did you ever heard of F1?

Did heard...  2 past tense for the same verb... -_-

As for F1, I was staying inside the confines of the street legal stuff.  Otherwise, the original analogy would have to take into account super computers. ¬_¬

Radical SR8 LM. That thing is street legal. 6:48 in Nurburgring. Good luck finding a bike that fast. Bikes can't be as fast as cars because they can't use downforce to their advantage.

Depends on the parameters.  If it's a drag race, a circuit race, etc, you'll find different vehicles getting in the lead.  But I'd be curious to see a drag race between the Hayabusa and the Radical SR8 LM.  The Hayabusa does beat the SR3 RS.

If it is a drag race, the Veyron Super Sport will win due to 4WD and its over 1100 HP. Or the Ariel Atom 500. In a circuit, The Radical or the Atom will win. The best car will beat the best bike.

Hum, no. The Hayabusa has the Veyron beat.

That was in 2008, so it does have to be the standard Veyron (980 HP) , not the Super Sport (1187 HP, 1/4 mile in 9.9 seconds). The 0-186 mph figures are hard to find :P. And the Atom 500 accelerates faster (factory claim) that the Veyron, it does have 0.863 bhp/ton (475 bhp, 550 Kg).

ninetailschris said:
pezus said:
ninetailschris said:

Gotta love how people take the specs as true when we all ready seen two reports having two different specs.

Look how gullible @Baneavatar is . Probably believes ever single rumor that comes out from Eurogamer. LOL wait he did anyone remember Wii-U on par (eurogamer which they they updated they lie)article he believed just because of the title?

This is fake anyone on release Specs and claim there true. What they did was probably base it around other articles then say SPECS reavel. It's pretty obvivious when you read it and sounds  like other other threads.

What's left to say?

Errr... what is your point? The article states in the first 2 paragraphs:

"How powerful is the Wii U really? Is it less powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360? Is it as powerful? More powerful? And how will it compare to the next generation? What quality of graphics will we see from Wii U games?

Answering these questions is impossible, given how abstract the idea of console power is in the first place. Is X twice as powerful as Y? Is Y 10 times as powerful than Z? And what does power mean anyway?"

You have no evidence to show their sources are fake and as always you have to take this sort of information with a pinch of salt. It wouldn't be that surprising for Eurogamer to have some sources in the Games Industry. It also wouldn't be that surprising if some of those sources are great at bullshitting. It further wouldn't be surprising if those devs have differing viewpoints as developers have different skill levels when it comes to coding or adapting to new architecture.

And who would mix up dev quotes with the article authors opinions?

Anyway, that doesn't mean we can't use this article, coupled with previous articles from other sources to come to a logical ballpark for WiiU hardware specs. Most of the information about hardware specs are similar to previous rumours.

Scoobes said:
ninetailschris said:
pezus said:
ninetailschris said:

What's left to say?

Errr... what is your point? The article states in the first 2 paragraphs:

"How powerful is the Wii U really? Is it less powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360? Is it as powerful? More powerful? And how will it compare to the next generation? What quality of graphics will we see from Wii U games?

Answering these questions is impossible, given how abstract the idea of console power is in the first place. Is X twice as powerful as Y? Is Y 10 times as powerful than Z? And what does power mean anyway?"

You have no evidence to show their sources are fake and as always you have to take this sort of information with a pinch of salt. It wouldn't be that surprising for Eurogamer to have some sources in the Games Industry. It also wouldn't be that surprising if some of those sources are great at bullshitting. It further wouldn't be surprising if those devs have differing viewpoints as developers have different skill levels when it comes to coding or adapting to new architecture.

And who would mix up dev quotes with the article authors opinions?

Anyway, that doesn't mean we can't use this article, coupled with previous articles from other sources to come to a logical ballpark for WiiU hardware specs. Most of the information about hardware specs are similar to previous rumours.

"Errr... what is your point? The article states in the first 2 paragraphs:

Answering these questions is impossible, given how abstract the idea of console power is in the first place. Is X twice as powerful as Y? Is Y 10 times as powerful than Z? And what does power mean anyway?""

"And, crucially, developers Eurogamer spoke to as part of a wide-ranging investigation into the innards of the Wii U now have final specifications.

Here's what they told us."

Come on common reading ability will tell when some says Developers told us that means they are saying developers are telling them this is correct lol. They are saying  the following which were the the specs are correct based on developers who TOLD them.

"You have no evidence to show their sources are fake and as always you have to take this sort of information with a pinch of salt. It wouldn't be that surprising for Eurogamer to have some sources in the Games Industry. It also wouldn't be that surprising if some of those sources are great at bullshitting. It further wouldn't be surprising if those devs have differing viewpoints as developers have different skill levels when it comes to coding or adapting to new architecture."

Can't prove anonymous sources are fake?

The question is not what you feel but like you said basically there is no crediability with anonymous sources. Industrygames and  kotaku showed there is no creditability. Did anyone remember before the wii was out the anoymous sources telling us it would be stronger than xbox360 until it came out it was false.

"And who would mix up dev quotes with the article authors opinions?"

Pattern Developer -anoymous source to someone who isn't intelligent will think if an article quotes someone legit everything is legit. Look at Gameidustry for example. Look at kotaku. Both been exposed and caught lying using the same tactic.

"Anyway, that doesn't mean we can't use this article, coupled with previous articles from other sources to come to a logical ballpark for WiiU hardware specs."

Use it doesn't mean it's creditable lol. Rumors for systems have be constantly wrong over the years. rarely do we ever get it right. Rumors and anonymous sources are those who put there neck for sites that want to make cash in on a tread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pezus

"You're basically discrediting the anonymous source with no proof. Why exactly would they create such an article with lies? "

Damn you're right... there is no evidence of this ever happening.......

~cough~ Game Industry ~cough~

~cough~ Kotaku ~cough~

~cough~Sega says Wii-U on par with ps3~cough~

What about the quotes which I pointed out were directly lying to what the actual developers have said who are creating Batman and Ninja Garden for Wii-U? So we suppose to trust some anonymous person over a real life quotable person?  If one anonymous source is lying you shouldn't even consider the rest of anonymous sources unless your biased and want to hear bad news. They are already caught lying what's to stop from continuing?

"You can be in denial all you want, but I just hope you won't be in denial after we get the confirmation."

"Today, an inside source claims that the Wii U “is not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360.” Another source from GamesIndustry, this one apparently from a major developer, reiterates:

“It doesn’t produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren’t as many shaders, it’s not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can’t quite keep up.”"

Pezus this sounds legit now with rumors of Wii-U being on par with 360/ps3?  Or maybe....anonymous sources are just the writers and people pick and choose which rumors are true and not. Hell you ignored when I quoted developers but you belived rumors. You are clearly bias and the perfect person to fall for this rumors from sites to get hits.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max