By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Land is not Wii U's Wii Sports

Tagged games:

Takamaru and Donkey Kong are easy to see what's going on, but less fun than watching people move around.

Wii U's next hit? Art.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Podings said:
On September 13, Nintendo needs to pull something wholly surprising out of their collective hat, if want us to understand why marketing for Wii U has been put on hold for this long.

Iwata has been talking about "must-have" and Miyamoto about recapturing the broad consumer's imagination, but nothing has been shown neither for 3DS or Wii U, that holds the power to awe the public like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, and Brain Training did all those years ago.

And although Nintendo may not yet be completely outpaceed on technology, it's gettin very hard for them to come up with concepts that couldn't just as easily have been done on iOS/Android/PSV/360/PS3/Slate/SmartGlass/Kinect.

If they truly have to ride on IP, then Nintendo Land really isn't an ace up the sleeve.

All I can say is "thank you".  As for why, I had no clue the press event with news would be that date:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-holding-wii-u-event-sept-13-6392347

I still hold out narrow hope, or think it would be really cool, if the do $250 release point bundled with Nintendo Land and Mario.

TomaTito said:

Takamaru and Donkey Kong are easy to see what's going on, but less fun than watching people move around.

Wii U's next hit? Art.

Visions of a competent RTS keep dancing in my head. Beyond that, the ability to use art styling to customize in a game due to the touch screen, seems promising.

happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

When the Wii was released, most people involved with videogames, including people who post on forums like this, thought the Wiimote was a pointless gimmick and the Wii wasn't going to do anything.  Looking back, people were proven to be very wrong.  In no way, shape, or form, am I going to try to predict what Nintendoland is or is not, in regards to the minds of the public.

I think we're more educated on the matter than we were back then, and Trucks' OP is pretty logical and free of bias (he's pro-Nintendo).

Most of the people saying it was a gimmick still today call it a gimmick, or few have realized the importance of motion gaming after all. But those people also call the WiiU a gimmick, and none of them are here this far, so you don't need to worry about that. The past happened, we are better now and we move on.

Being educated isn't the point here.  Being educated can mean having more informed biases.  If you said "more open-minded" would be more inclined to agree.  As of now, I am just saying I can't say here.  I personally don't get the same "that looks like fun" buzz I got out of seeing the Wii (I just had to try boxing, golf and tennis), but I do see potential for the Wii U opening up new gameplay.  I could also see maybe it won't do as much.  I don't speak to bias here, just I think I am not sure what will happen, nor I am sure anyone can predict other things either.

I remember the first thread I ever made in vgchartz (right after wiiu was announced) was about nintendo throwing away their motion controls which is what made the wii popular. Sadly nobody read my thread :(

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129937&page=1

I see people are now starting to realize the trouble (appeal wise) nintendo might be in with the wiiu.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:
I remember the first thread I ever made in vgchartz (right after wiiu was announced) was about nintendo throwing away their motion controls which is what made the wii popular. Sadly nobody read my thread :(

I see people are now starting to realize the trouble (appeal wise) nintendo might be in with the wiiu.

Throwing away their motion controls? Far from it. Wii Motes are still an important controller for the console and the Wii U gamepad has a Wii Mote essentially built into it. It has gyros and infared, what makes a Wii Mote a Wii Mote. Sure it is bigger and has a screen but its just as light and does tons more.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Gamerace said:
Kinneas14 said:
Squilliam said:
The Wii sold because of Wii Sports and the Wii U will sell at first because of the Wii. Effectively the big system seller for the Wii U will be the popular Wii titles like Wii Sports.

I agree with that. I believe that this could be the key for the very first months after launch, after that WiiU will need real system sellers.

I'd have agreed with this in 2010 but WiiU is coming out far too late to capitalize on Wii's popularity.  iOS/Android are what's popular now.

The last Wii titles of any significance was Wii Sports Resort which was, for the mass audience, an eternity ago.   Wii Music, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Party and the poor upgrade value of Wii Fit Plus have failed to maintain the brand's relevance IMO.    Sadly Wii Fit U is a launch title and from what we've seen, really doesn't look anywhere's near different enough from Wii Fit/WF+ to justify a purchase of the game, let alone a new system to play it on.  Or to resusitate a now tired genre.  

Name recognition is a powerful thing and so is nostalgia. A lot of what made the Wii popular was the fact that it came from Nintendo and the people who bought it were already familiar with Nintendo from the handhelds and from the earlier success of the NES/SNES. Even if the system is late it still doesn't mean that people won't recognise the names Wii, Nintendo and Mario. Nintendo doesn't have to hit it out of the park at launch of the Wii U because they already did that with the Wii and have previous success to rely on,

Tease.

Chark said:
cyberninja45 said:

Throwing away their motion controls? Far from it. Wii Motes are still an important controller for the console and the Wii U gamepad has a Wii Mote essentially built into it. It has gyros and infared, what makes a Wii Mote a Wii Mote. Sure it is bigger and has a screen but its just as light and does tons more.

I see you haven't read my thread.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Chark said:

I just played a bunch of Nintendo Land games and I firmly disagree with the OP. Nintendo Land if bundled with the Wii U will have a similar effect and a much more solid one than Wii Sports. The games are better and the new controller does provide a new "wow" factor. The games are intuitive and at the least interactive physically giving the game a solid feel that helped separated motion controls from traditional ones. It has multiplayer games, ones using their big name IPs. I see Nintendo Land being the ultimate mini game collection for the Wii U and it will do wonders for the console if they bundle it in. That ninja star game alone would bring in the "casuals".

I agree with this. Sure, its not playing tennis, but what it does offer is a new capability to differentiate itself from the IPad Generation aswell as the other consoles.

Betting against a product that gives families a new method of using their old wiimotes, and new ways to interect and manipulate all their content, is kinda silly.

3DS is almost at 20 Million btw.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

It doesn't have to be Wii Sports, it has to seperate itself from the other consoles and the IPad.

2 ways it has achieved this.

* Price.

* Ease of Use.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.