By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the wii and third parties

Gamerace said:
brute said:
^well MOH even sold poorly on 360 considering they buy so much software and the userbase is bigger in US then wiis

True that.  But I think CoD4 blew MoH:Airborne out of the water on 360/PS3 whereas it had no competition at all on Wii and I mean no competition, it's still the only FPS online.

well i agree on the point on wii but i MOH on 360 was released about 2 months before and still sold poorly

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
HappySqurriel said:

If third party games were "bombing" like some people claim there should be games which fit the 3 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly; If third party games were underperforming there should be a long list of games that fit 2 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly.

• Popular IP
  • Popular Genre
  • Heavily Marketed
  • High Quality

The reality is that few third party games that have been released for the Wii satisfy any of those conditions, and those that statisfy one or more of these conditions tend to sell at an appropriate level.

Madden and MoH:H2 come to mind.  Madden is profittable but definately below-par for sales vs other systems.  Not the greatest Madden ever, but well reviewed and fun.   MoH:H2 big franchise (MoH), great reviews, popular genre - poor sales.

I also disagree popular IP will have much effect.  I think a lot of Wii owners either A) Never cared about most of the 'popular' franchises in the first place (I myself fall in this group) or B) Are new to gaming and only know the Mario, Sonics and Master Chiefs of the world.  And MC is debatable for the average Joe.   Instead I'd suggest a highly known franchise like Star Wars, D&D or James Bond might get more sales than Call of Duty or DMC or Ninja Gaiden (sp?) on Wii.  Come to think of it, I wonder if the movies have helped RE4 / RE:UC sales on Wii....

In my opinion, Madden sold at an adequate level being that it was considered much lower quality than the XBox 360 or PS3 version, and the marketing campaign was focused entirely on the XBox 360; if I remember correctly, the advertizements that played on TV didn't even have a PS3 or Wii symbol. Overall, it will break 500,000 units before Madden 09 is released ...

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 has underperformed in North America, and will probably only sell 200,000 units here; it may see similar sales in "the Other" regions and end up with total sales around 500,000 units. The game was not really marketed (that I saw), it was a good game but not a great game, the IP has steadily been damaged by over-use and lower quality games (Medal of Honor: Vanguard), and the content material of the game (WWII shooter) is getting tired.

I'm not saying I fully disagree with you (these games could have sold better) but neither game is really a poster child for under apprieciated games that bombed. In general, these games would have sold better if they were higher quality and marketed more heavily; and their (worldwide) sales are not that bad for what the games are.

I think a part of the problem is publishers have to advertise differently.

Bioshock sold like crazy with no mainstream advertising (that I'm aware of). However putting ads on game website like IGN will not reach the average Wii owner. They need to find more mainstream marketing venues, and/or more mainstream recgonizable games (Note: Harry Potter and Lego Star Wars sell best on Wii). I saw Ubisoft had ads for My Word Coach in the subway here, based on sales I can't say that helped, and TV ads are hideously expensive so it'll take a while for 3rd party publishers to find the right way to advertise to this market.

Gamerace said:

Bioshock sold like crazy with no mainstream advertising (that I'm aware of). However putting ads on game website like IGN will not reach the average Wii owner. They need to find more mainstream marketing venues, and/or more mainstream recgonizable games (Note: Harry Potter and Lego Star Wars sell best on Wii). I saw Ubisoft had ads for My Word Coach in the subway here, based on sales I can't say that helped, and TV ads are hideously expensive so it'll take a while for 3rd party publishers to find the right way to advertise to this market.

Ehhh?  You must not watch much TV.  Microsoft pushed Bioshock hard.  Other than Halo 3 it's their most advertised game this year.  Far more than Mass Effect.  That "Under the sea" song and commercial played every 10 minutes.

naznatips said:
Gamerace said:

Ehhh?  You must not watch much TV.  Microsoft pushed Bioshock hard.  Other than Halo 3 it's their most advertised game this year.  Far more than Mass Effect.  That "Under the sea" song and commercial played every 10 minutes.

Guilty as charged! My son does, and didn't mention it (he normally does) so it may not have been advertised in my neck of the woods anyway or maybe we just missed it. No wonder it sold so well for a new IP.  Wish Nintendo would take some notes from MS on how to hype a game though.

Around the Network

You want third party, you got third party! This is only the start!

If third party devs aren't going to put good games on the Wii, they have no one else to blame but themselves. Nintendo can't be faulted that consumers won't buy bad games even if it is at the cost of third party support. Honestly, if third parties aren't putting good games on the Wii there really is no third party support as it is.

@ FishyJoe
this one isnt just a start.. its a amazing start too, but after what ? after EA released there crappy Fifa 2007 ?? after one year of the wii launch ?
this is why i said "its just a matter of time"
@Girl Gamer Elite
the problem is that third parties are not even doing really good with other systems as well(need for speed?). This console war is so screwed, i till now am very happy with my wii and i hope that my prediction that is its only a matter of time for third parties to relise that they need to make good games for the wii..

but the japanese market is just going wierd..? no more heroes ? mario galaxy ? why arnt they buying those ?
even for the ps3/360 games ? japan seems to be stuck with handhelds for unkown reasons

MeowTheMouse said:
@ FishyJoe
this one isnt just a start.. its a amazing start too, but after what ? after EA released there crappy Fifa 2007 ?? after one year of the wii launch ?
this is why i said "its just a matter of time"
@Girl Gamer Elite
the problem is that third parties are not even doing really good with other systems as well(need for speed?). This console war is so screwed, i till now am very happy with my wii and i hope that my prediction that is its only a matter of time for third parties to relise that they need to make good games for the wii..

but the japanese market is just going wierd..? no more heroes ? mario galaxy ? why arnt they buying those ?
even for the ps3/360 games ? japan seems to be stuck with handhelds for unkown reasons

unknown reasons? On what planet?!

@ routsounmanman
sarcasm ? ^^"