By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the wii and third parties

Unfortunatately No More Heroes stylized presentation probably won't appeal to the mainstream Wii audience. While I'm personally interested I doubt this title will see good sales. Hope I'm wrong.

Developers aren't the problem here, it's the publishers. They don't really understand what to put on Wii, aren't willing to shell out big money to have a highly polished game made - because they assume it'd get smoked by whatever Nintendo puts out anyway (possibly a false assumption but pervasive nevertheless), so they rather stick to something rather risk-free. Until someone takes a chance and proves this line of thinking wrong, it'll probably continue.

Around the Network
brute said:
StarcraftManiac said:
Well... It sure isn't the lack of quality that made No more heroes Bomb!... I want that game bad myself!...

well in japan alot of weird things have been happening,plus the game isnt released in NA and europe yet

C'mon... We all know the game is gonna do a Zack and Wiki in the US... It's called 'Lack of Marketing'. Btw... The game is a nichegame... (Resulting in becoming a culthit...)

THE NETHERLANDS

^yeah you are right but thats still there fault for not advertising it and not nintys or ours

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I've got no sympathy at all for 3rd party publishers. It's lack of advertising plain and simple. The only 3rd party games I've seen advertised are Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids and they've both sold well. There's really no excuse as internet and TV advertising are incredibly cheap (here in the UK at least).

Posting under this as it won't let me log in to my main account.

HappySqurriel said:

If third party games were "bombing" like some people claim there should be games which fit the 3 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly; If third party games were underperforming there should be a long list of games that fit 2 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly.

• Popular IP
  • Popular Genre
  • Heavily Marketed
  • High Quality

The reality is that few third party games that have been released for the Wii satisfy any of those conditions, and those that statisfy one or more of these conditions tend to sell at an appropriate level.

Madden and MoH:H2 come to mind.  Madden is profittable but definately below-par for sales vs other systems.  Not the greatest Madden ever, but well reviewed and fun.   MoH:H2 big franchise (MoH), great reviews, popular genre - poor sales.

I also disagree popular IP will have much effect.  I think a lot of Wii owners either A) Never cared about most of the 'popular' franchises in the first place (I myself fall in this group) or B) Are new to gaming and only know the Mario, Sonics and Master Chiefs of the world.  And MC is debatable for the average Joe.   Instead I'd suggest a highly known franchise like Star Wars, D&D or James Bond might get more sales than Call of Duty or DMC or Ninja Gaiden (sp?) on Wii.  Come to think of it, I wonder if the movies have helped RE4 / RE:UC sales on Wii....

Around the Network

^well MOH even sold poorly on 360 considering they buy so much software and the userbase is bigger in US then wiis

ferret1603-2 said:
I've got no sympathy at all for 3rd party publishers. It's lack of advertising plain and simple. The only 3rd party games I've seen advertised are Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids and they've both sold well. There's really no excuse as internet and TV advertising are incredibly cheap (here in the UK at least).

yeah they think the game will sell well just because its on a console with a high userbase

I find it rediculous that people keep brigning up Mario Party 8 as a an example of what is wrong. It shows publishers that games with intuitve controls,expierience that can be shared with friends are a good thing. Now some people will argue that it just incourages more party games. There certianly is room for some 3rd parties in that market. Rayman has sold 1.3 million and has a weaker multi-player component(although a much better overall game). But just like WiiSports didn't mean everyone should make sports games, it doesn't mean there should only be party games. They need to make "fun"games. Games you can play for 30 minutes and put down, games you can play everyday for a year.

I just laugh at developers who say they can't compete with Nintendo. All they are saying is they do not have the talent to make a game as well as Nintendo does. NonNintendo games don't cost more. There is no build in hardware to make Nintendo games look better. They are not the only ones with massive IPs. It is just laziness. Playstation devlopment was the same for over a decade. The 360 is like programming for a PC which people have been doing even longer. They both use analog controllers and aren't trying to takle the gaming audience in a new way.

But they will wise up. A slightly higher attach rate didn't help the 360 for long and now Wii software outsells it every week. Imagine how big the difference is going ot be when the Wii double the 360s sales. There will be plenty of profit for everyone. And right now it is lookin like Capcom and Ubisoft will be the big winners.

What I want to know is when the first really major 3rd party title will hit the Wii. I am talking about a big studio with their #1 team and a huge budget. That might be Red Steel 2 if Ubisoft really has dedied to "make Nintendo Quality titles".

What 3rd parties really need to do is go after teh new controls. Nintendo hasn't done much with them since WiiSports(Excpet for MP3 showing dominant FPS controls). Games liek Zack & Wiki are a start but so much is waiting.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

brute said:
^well MOH even sold poorly on 360 considering they buy so much software and the userbase is bigger in US then wiis

True that.  But I think CoD4 blew MoH:Airborne out of the water on 360/PS3 whereas it had no competition at all on Wii and I mean no competition, it's still the only FPS online.

Gamerace said:
HappySqurriel said:

If third party games were "bombing" like some people claim there should be games which fit the 3 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly; If third party games were underperforming there should be a long list of games that fit 2 of the following 4 conditions and sold poorly.

• Popular IP
  • Popular Genre
  • Heavily Marketed
  • High Quality

The reality is that few third party games that have been released for the Wii satisfy any of those conditions, and those that statisfy one or more of these conditions tend to sell at an appropriate level.

Madden and MoH:H2 come to mind. Madden is profittable but definately below-par for sales vs other systems. Not the greatest Madden ever, but well reviewed and fun. MoH:H2 big franchise (MoH), great reviews, popular genre - poor sales.

I also disagree popular IP will have much effect. I think a lot of Wii owners either A) Never cared about most of the 'popular' franchises in the first place (I myself fall in this group) or B) Are new to gaming and only know the Mario, Sonics and Master Chiefs of the world. And MC is debatable for the average Joe. Instead I'd suggest a highly known franchise like Star Wars, D&D or James Bond might get more sales than Call of Duty or DMC or Ninja Gaiden (sp?) on Wii. Come to think of it, I wonder if the movies have helped RE4 / RE:UC sales on Wii....

Well, I agree on Madden, but not MoH:H2. It was popular on the PSP, but MoH hardly has stellar sales, and was in a steady decline since the first one. It's also a ridiculously oversaturated genre (WWII shooters) even on the Wii, and at the rate that they are shoveling out (bad) MoH titles it's not surprising that it's getting overlooked. It also wasn't reviewed very well outside of IGN...