By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Gamecube vs. Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Dreamcast

P.N. 03 (I can't find a screenshot that does this game justice anywhere)

Metroid Prime 2: Echos

Resident Evil 4 GC

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
lilbroex said:

No. Not even theoretically could the Xbox's Pentium 3 based Celeron outperform the PowerPC processor in the GC.

The GPU was less advanced but used more modern technology that was easier to program. There was no similarity.

The fact still remains to this day.

The max achieved on the Xbox in an actual game was 12 million polygons at 30 FPS with minimal effects.

The max achieved on the GC in an actual game was 20 million polygons at 60 FPS with full bump mapping, dynamic self-shadows, bloom lighting andenemy/enivornmental destruction with over a 100 A.I. controllered enemeis on screen at once.

Those are the facts till the end of time.

I've tried looking it up and every source said the Xbox was more powerful than the Gamecube. Also, you're forgetting that the Xbox could output in 720p.

Of course more sources say that. The Xbox had more fans and most people don't even know what the GC can actually do on a technical level. Most of those people aren't educated on things like that. I am.

I don't get where people come from with these minor details like they override everything else. The PS2 could output 1080i. What different does it make? Was 720p used in any games? That is just a feature.

The max res does not influence what else can be technically done. I'd image that if it tried to run a full featured game at that res it would cripple the system. The Wii could do 1080p technically but you don't see it in any games.

The facts are still facts. At the end of the day, the Xbox at its best couldn't pull off half of what the GC did at its best.

You can find a thousand Xbox fans saying the Xbox is better and thousand journalist but at the end of the day, what i posted up above is the final fact. Eveyrone can skate around it and nitpick at other features all day long. Its not going to change.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

brendude13 said:
lilbroex said:

No. Not even theoretically could the Xbox's Pentium 3 based Celeron outperform the PowerPC processor in the GC.

The GPU was less advanced but used more modern technology that was easier to program. There was no similarity.

The fact still remains to this day.

The max achieved on the Xbox in an actual game was 12 million polygons at 30 FPS with minimal effects.

The max achieved on the GC in an actual game was 20 million polygons at 60 FPS with full bump mapping, dynamic self-shadows, bloom lighting andenemy/enivornmental destruction with over a 100 A.I. controllered enemeis on screen at once.

Those are the facts till the end of time.

I've tried looking it up and every source said the Xbox was more powerful than the Gamecube. Also, you're forgetting that the Xbox could output in 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbEb7HpQOJ4&list=FLjQX6V6EJoxZ07p4PVBMQwQ&index=53&feature=plpp_video

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Mario Sunshine

Twlight Princess

R: Racing Evoluation GC

Burnout 2 GC

Around the Network

NFS Most Wanted GC

Pikmin

I remember the xbox always having a full screen blur over everything, not nice on my HD ready CRT TV back then. The ps2 and gc were full of jaggies, but that wasn't that big of a problem on a CRT tube.

Whatever the technical specs, what stands out most from last gen to me are Ico, Windwaker, SotC and Okami.
Favorite racers were GT4, PGR, Burnout, Colin McRae and Rallisport challenge. Only the first one got a worthy sequel this gen although it is still missing the best tracks of gt4 :(

Best technical graphics I wouldn't know, I played on the pc to be wowed by that. Fable had some nice bits though.

I had all 4 systems and the gamecube had the best graphics in my opinion.

I remember beeing very impressed by starfox adventures and mario sunshine.

Nem said:
I had all 4 systems and the gamecube had the best graphics in my opinion.

I remember beeing very impressed by starfox adventures and mario sunshine.

Indeed. Peaches castle says it all. It didn't tell people what the GC could do. It showed them.

I don't know how to embed video, but F Zero GX looked darn good on the Gamecube as well.

30 racers on the track at once at breakneck speeds and 60fps with surprisingly sharp textures and some cool effects.