By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario need to be so kiddy?

Tagged games:

Does this makes sense?

It's true. 42 36.52%

It's not so true. 71 61.74%

Total:113

There is a marked difference between 'kiddy' (appealing to kids) and 'all audiences'. Mario is a game that anyone can play at any age. There don't need to be adult-targeted themes in every type of game. Mario games are very unique and special because they don't target any specific demographic. In my 25 years of gaming I have never heard an adult refer to Mario games as 'kids games'. They are only ever called 'games', and it's because of their ability to do what very few games in history have been able to. I believe the premise of this thread is baseless.

Around the Network

I didn't watch the Sunshine video before but no wonder it is the Mario game I like the least!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

The story in Donkey Kong wasn't as well scripted as you make it out to be. The hero wasn't even named Mario. He was Jumpman. Yeah, Jumpman. That's the best that they could do.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

NintendoPie said:
AndrewWK said:
lets face it almost every game Nintedno makes is rather fo children rather then adults. And children don´t care so much about story

Why are they kiddy? Because there's no blood in some of them, or a lot of them a colorful?

Yes.

There is no sex either.

Mnementh said:
AndrewWK said:
lets face it almost every game Nintedno makes is rather fo children rather then adults.

Really? Brain Age, Wii Fit, Fire Emblem, Pandoras Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis - are these made for children?

AndrewWK said:
And children don´t care so much about story

Really? Adults that have not time for games with an epic story and prefer to play casual games like Angry birds or the like with no story at all? The only ones that have the time to loo for a storyline in a game are children and unemployed people.

Yeah some of them, and nobody gave a damn about Pandoars Tower. I never heard of Disaster and Fire Emblem.

The second one is hliarious I hope it meant as joke. I am sure the most 12 year olds live for an epic plot and brilliant characters.

Around the Network

Generalisation usually leads to bad conclusions like this one.

Is mario kiddy? Yes and no. Mario appeals to the whole spectrum. He is good for kiddies but its still good for adults aswell because the games are about the gameplay.

AndrewWK said:

Yeah some of them, and nobody gave a damn about Pandoars Tower. I never heard of Disaster and Fire Emblem.

How would you know?

And does that really matter if you know them or not? He's trying to point out things that prove your point wrong, not give you games that you could play,

I haven't read the whole thread but he's my take on Mario games (platformers) and story: the less, the better.

I've recently started replaying SMG2 and I felt like the intro story was getting in the way of me enjoying the game. I kept mashing the A button the skip ahead and couldn't wait to hop to my first galaxy. NSMB Wii has the perfect amount of story for a Mario platformer, about 30 seconds.

Signature goes here!

amp316 said:
The story in Donkey Kong wasn't as well scripted as you make it out to be. The hero wasn't even named Mario. He was Jumpman. Yeah, Jumpman. That's the best that they could do.

Fun fact: it was originally supposed to be a Popeye game (with Pauline as Olive Oyl, DK as Bluto, and Mario as Popeye), but Nintendo couldn't quite net the rights to it in time

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Why can't we have any mature games that don't involve constant shooting and killing? Like Heavy Rain, that was a good Mature title that wasn't too violent

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash