By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario need to be so kiddy?

Tagged games:

Does this makes sense?

It's true. 42 36.52%

It's not so true. 71 61.74%

Total:113
Smeags said:
cunger said:

Sorry about that!!  I am new to the site as a poster although I've been following the site for a long long time.

No worries my good sir, it made for a good laugh. Plus, it was an enjoyable read... so keep up the good posting. ^_^

I wondered what that was. I was re-reading through the thread to see if cunger had some sort of problem with HappyDolphin before you cleared it from the queue

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

On your three points: maybe. But I think the decision if something seems kiddy to you or not is more subjective.

And you miss my point on the petite prince: it has no soundtrack, but graphics. But the point I made was about surface and content and about personal opinion. On the surface the prince has cute images and simple writing style seemingly targeted at children. Actually the author makes some fuss about targeting at children in his dedication. But under that surface the prince contains deep themes. So I think it is very strongly a personal opinion, if you think the prince is for children or adults (or everyone). That can be point of long discussions, as people may disagree from their personal point of view.

All you describe as childish about Mario are such surface things. For the little prince that were writing style and the lovely images the author painted. For Mario it's music, graphics and the lack of proper story. Yeah, I understand why this thread is so long, because Mario contains indications in either direction, so everyone can maintain an own personal opinionion about the childishness of the game.

This is not true. It's not a contested fact that Le Petit Prince appeals to children and adults alike. Rather, it was designed that way and it's pretty clear.

Here are some graphics from the title to help the topic:

Nothing of this is kiddy, and actually thank you for bringing this up. This ^ is how you make content appealing to adults and children. It is highly detailed, and has subdued colors, nothing alienating to an adult, rather taps into his childlike psyche imho.

This is a great example of the direction in which I would like Mario to go.

NintendoPie said:

And I wouldn't want him to have a stuffy voice either.

What I've gathered (between your music and voice-acting acting issues with Mario) is that you want it to be darker. Is that correct? Because that's what I'm seeing from the examples.

Not "darker". That's exactly what I'm not looking for. And not "happier". I'm looking for balance.

I've been trying to clarify, I want some night levels (like in NSMB2, that is fantastic). I want all the great and wonderful things of SMG, stripped of the excessive colors and moods (voice acting). I want some nuance, some balance, something more delicate and more relatable, something that is faithful to the needs of both adult and children alike, in artistic direction especially.

Le Petit Prince above is a great example.

Interesting. Not quite what I'm looking for, much more in the right direction:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=146636

Focus on the colors, and the emotions. Yet this is suitable for children, as most of Studio Ghibli's work.

happydolphin said:

Interesting. Not quite what I'm looking for, much more in the right direction:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=146636

Focus on the colors, and the emotions. Yet this is suitable for children, as most of Studio Ghibli's work.

That's also a totally different type of game. (Though, I do like it and would buy it if it came to the Wii U or something.)

Around the Network

@happydolphin i think its a pipe dream my friend. They will never go that route, would be cool if they did

Mario needs to be colorful. There are certain levels that, without the vibrant colors, would look boring and not what they are supposed to be.

I can understand a level like this: (NSMBU)

And they already do this: (NSMB2)

That wasn't the best picture but you know what I mean; the Ghost Mansions.

But if everything is toned down in color, that's not cool.

NintendoPie said:

That's also a totally different type of game. (Though, I do like it and would buy it if it came to the Wii U or something.)

No matter.

Platformer. Music.

Here's another one:

Platformer: Artistic design.

3D Platformer: Ambiance and un-written story.

happydolphin said:
F0X said:

From my point of view, if you want to criticize a franchise for lack of originality, then Mario shouldn't even be a consideration, because even a game that is "stagnant" by Mario standards is still more creative in its presentation and design than most other games.

But from here on out, let's talk about personal experience. In Super Mario Sunshine, I loved the then-beautiful look of Delfino Island, especially the Noki Bay area. I remember diving into a deep, underwater pit and hearing "Underwater Exploration" play, yet another beautiful water-themed piece of music. In Super Mario Galaxy, it was amazing to stare off into the vast expanse of space, and deeply satisfying to rocket through its empitness, accompanied by fittingly epic music. And like its predecessors, it had its moments of respite. Of juxtaposition. To the point where some might call it the deepest, most reasonant Mario game ever released (but of course that's very subjective).

I may be wrong, but I think the source of your frustration isn't stemming from the smartly-presented, creatively-charged 3D Mario games. I think we're both concerned about the recent (and upcoming) 2D entries in the series, since unlike most previous Mario games, they stick to a simple aesthetic that doesn't try to evoke much emotion beyond the usual pure unadulterated joy. How did this happen? It could be the change in development teams. It could be because Miyamoto isn't as involved as he used to be. But it's most likely because Nintendo believes that, at the end of the day, it takes much more effort artistically to develop a best-selling 3D Mario game than a successul 2D Mario. I hope that 3D Land's success proves to them that there's an excellent middle ground between the two approaches. I hope that the beautiful backdrops of New Super Mario Bros. U allude to more depth and emotion than previous 2D Mario games. In the meantime, though, I suggest we criticize what actually needs improving, and not squabble over the fine details of Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack.

I agree, and I honestly wasn't squabbling. I just wanted to give an example of something that showed the direction I disagreed with, whether that painted a good picture of the overall direction wasn't really my intent or interest, it could be just an aspect of the new direction and not the direction as a whole.

Yes, as a matter of fact you're right, my struggle is less with the 3D implementation of Mario than with the 2D one. In fact, I think SMG really did a phenomenal job in the artistic direction for many areas and aspects of the game. To me, it really is those few yet present experiences that alienate me. For instance, the hub in galaxy has a beautiful tune, but it is much too lullaby-esque. And yes, @JWein, I understand why, but it doesn't excuse the fact that it's alienating for many of us. Complement that with lumina sounds and it is really overbearing for some of us adults. Yes Phil Collins used some endearing words in his Tarzan song "You'll be in my heart", but who can't relate to the feeling of the consolation of a mother, no matter the age?

To follow your thoughts, I think the 2D version did a good job at keeping a balance, the colors were overall in line with most Mario games that far, and the music though of lesser quality was fun. However I didn't expect all 2D Marios to continue in the lesser music quality, this is one of the highest selling games Nintendo's ever made.

I remember the underwater music in Super Mario Sunshine, and I remember thinking "I'm glad Nintendo did it again", and just feeling happy that they were able to make that very close to as good as Dire Dire Docs. I was pleased. Even if it wasn't as good, at least they tried and it was darn good.

Ah, yes, I can see how there might be some aspects of the presentation that don't quite click. I had a similar problem with Pokemon Black in which, while having the best story in the series, the writing felt too simple and lacking in subtlety to me (maybe I'm looking for the word "kiddy"). It rubbed me the wrong way, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game and appreciating its general direction. On the contrary, I like Pokemon Conquest's writing very much, despite having a much shallower plot, thanks to an abundance of humorous characters and dialogue that seemed more natural. I'm sure someone else who is my age and played both games sees it differently, but that won't stop me from mentioning that it bothered me.

In my experience, the Mario RPGs usually hit the nail on the head in terms of balanced appeal, combining great humor, memorable characters, and unique world design to create something truly memorable. I think the platformers could learn a thing or two about storytelling from their cousins... but Miyamoto seems to hate narratives that can't be summed up in five words or less.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

Ah, yes, I can see how there might be some aspects of the presentation that don't quite click. I had a similar problem with Pokemon Black in which, while having the best story in the series, the writing felt too simple and lacking in sublety for me (maybe I'm looking for the word "kiddy"). It rubbed me the wrong way, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game and appreciating its direction. On the contrary, I like Pokemon Conquest's writing very much, despite having a much shallower plot, thanks to an abundance of humorous characters and dialogue that seemed more natural to me. I'm sure someone else who is my age and played both games sees it differently, but that won't stop me from mentioning that it bothered me.

In my experience, the Mario RPGs usually hit the nail on the head in terms of balanced appeal, combining great humor, memorable characters, and unique world design to create something truly memorable. I think the platformers could learn a thing or two about storytelling from their cousins... but Miyamoto seems to hate narratives that can't be summed up in five words or less.

Wholeheartedly agree.

And the oddest thing about Miyamoto's attitude is that the things some of us are looking for could be achieved with even less Narrative than SMG. See Sal's post on Journey (which I've never played, but I did some research and it does make sense).

I'm looking for the cream of the crop, absolute best of the best, and I truly wish Nintendo did that with its greatest icon, even the very icon of the gaming industry as a whole, in my humble opinion.