By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Things that we all agree on.

RedInker said:
I would like to see the death penalty re introduced in the UK.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire penal system replaced with something that actually represents justice. Let the victims, or heirs of the victim, choose the punishment (within reason), and let the criminal offer to work to provide financial compensation to offset some of the punishment.

Around the Network

Is there anything that "we all" agree on politically? I seriously doubt it. There's at least a semi-legitimate argument for (and against) pretty much every political belief so I can't see everyone or even the vast majority of people agreeing on any single point.
I mean, already, this thread has become a vessel for a lot of people to express their fairly controversial views, which obviously aren't accepted by everyone.
I would actually love to see someone propose a view on one of these popular issues that most people agree to.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Kantor said:
Soleron said:
Lets try:

Current copyright terms should be reduced
Software patents should be invalid

Completely invalid? I wouldn't go that far. It makes it very easy for a Chinese company to make knockoffs of your software and sell it cheaply, robbing you of large amounts of business.

How about: individuals who violate copyright law for personal use without intention to profit should not be prosecuted.

Software is so flexible that the advantage you get is time-to-market. When Apple invents a cool scrolling bounce back as you reach the end of the list, don't you think everyone should be allowed to copy it right away? Currently they can block anyone from doing the same thing for over ten years. And yes they do have a patent for that and are suing Samsung and others as we speak.

You still own the copyright to your code. If someone can make a clone of Windows or Office or something, that does everything it does without copying any code it should be allowed.

Second thing: DEFINITELY not. Not paying for things is always wrong. The way they currently use DRM and find/prosecute people is vastly unfair, and needs fixed but that doesn't mean it should be OK to just take hatever.

Kantor said:
Soleron said:
Lets try:

Current copyright terms should be reduced
Software patents should be invalid

Completely invalid? I wouldn't go that far. It makes it very easy for a Chinese company to make knockoffs of your software and sell it cheaply, robbing you of large amounts of business.

How about: individuals who violate copyright law for personal use without intention to profit should not be prosecuted.

Or liable in civil suits.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Salnax said:
How about "People have the right to exist?"

And the rights to die.

Around the Network

Equal rights for everyone. Including women and gays. Except the conservative bigot of course.

neptune20 said:
Equal rights for everyone. Including women and gays. Except the conservative bigot of course.

Everyone = everyone. Not a few groups that I like/support.

neptune20 said:

There is too much hatred on your little heart.

mysticwolf said:
Guns are dangerous objects designed to kill.

Guns aren't dangerous if handled properly, but yes they are designed to kill. 

NintendoPie said:
neptune20 said:

Everyone = everyone. Not a few groups that I like/support.

You don't say.