By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: The Last Story is one of the best RPGs in years

Tagged games:

Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:
Didn't this come out everywhere else ages ago? Even Europe...

Sounds like a really good game, now I just hope Mistwalker go make a game on any platform I own

Sakaguchi won't work on PlayStation systems.

Why not?

But I don't need him to, he can just work on PC or 360

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Sounds like a really good game, now I just hope Mistwalker go make a game on any platform I own

Why not?

Some bad blood from his later Squaresoft days, it seems. He has worked on 360 in the past, and Mistwalker's doing iPhone games now.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

He does not like Sony. Its as a simple as that. I believe its one of the main reasons that he left Square, because at that time they were pretty much whoring themselevs to Sony even more than Hideo Kojima was at the beginning of the PS3 life cycle.

lilbroex said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

He does not like Sony. Its as a simple as that. I believe its one of the main reasons that he left Square, because at that time they were pretty much whoring themselevs to Sony even more than Hideo Kojima was at the beginning of the PS3 life cycle.

Actually, it wasn't Sony but more so Katuragi he didn't like, and he's gone now.  In fact, Sakaguchi was the President of Square America from 1995 to 2001 when Square was "whoring" themselves with Sony.  Don''t let hate cloud the facts in front of you.

LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

Actually, it wasn't Sony but more so Katuragi he didn't like, and he's gone now.  In fact, Sakaguchi was the President of Square America from 1995 to 2001 when Square was "whoring" themselves with Sony.  Don''t let hate cloud the facts in front of you.

1996 and he wasn't just the president. He was one of the 3 original founders. I'm aware that the crux of it was that he didn't like Ken Katsurugi but why get all complicated? Even without him there he doesn't want to work for Sony.

He only went to Sony becaue they used the CD and he needs storage capacity for the CG in his games. Otherwise he would have made FFVII for the N64. He even made a tech demo FFVI demonstrating how it would look.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

1996 and he wasn't just the president. He was one of the 3 original founders. I'm aware that the crux of it was that he didn't like Ken Katsurugi but why get all complicated? Even without him there he doesn't want to work for Sony.

And he only mentioned that he didn't like the PS3 architecture.  You can speculate all you want and even make things up if you want.  But to say Square was "whoring" while Sakaguchi didn't has absolute no basis of truth.

LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

And he only mentioned that he didn't like the PS3 architecture.  You can speculate all you want and even make things up if you want.  But to say Square was "whoring" while Sakaguchi didn't has absolute no basis of truth.

Sakaguchi's relationship with them was one of convieniece and circumstance. Square didn't want to let it go. When Sony wanted companies to show off the PS3 they went to Square-Enix and Kojima Studios at Konami. They were dead set on PS3 only until their pockets started ruprturing.

Sony wasn't paying them enough anymore, so they had to get some new clients.

lilbroex said:
LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
LivingMetal said:
lilbroex said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mr Khan said:
Munkeh111 said:

Why not?

Sakaguchi's relationship with them was one of convieniece and circumstance. Square didn't want to let it go. When Sony wanted companies to show off the PS3 they went to Square-Enix and Kojima Studios at Konami. They were dead set on PS3 only until their pockets started ruprturing.

Sony wasn't paying them enough anymore, so they had to get some new clients.

Thank you for sharing your personal assessment.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
lilbroex said:

Its rare to see good news about something relating to Nintendo coming from Kotaku. There are generally Nintendo haters.

lol ign , gamespot , gameinformer All wii haters ... is gametrailers and nintendomagazine wii haters too?

OT , looks like this game is great and i hope sakagushi develops multyplatforms from now on ... i want a jrpg for ps3 or ps4 please!!!

IGN, Gametrailers, and Gamespot not so much, (Though they have their moments) but Game Informer are definitely biased.
There's very few mainstream gaming sites that treat the Wii completely fairly; they bash it to pander to the 360/PS3 fanboys in their audience.

spurgeonryan said:
curl-6 said:
spurgeonryan said:
mysticwolf said:
Here comes you trying to convince me to buy Last Story instead of Xenoblade. My people tell me that Xenoblade is better. I will not succumb to such witchcraft!

PS this truly is the Wii's Last Story.

In America we still have a ways to go. Pandora hopefully, then Kirby, DQX, Mickey Mouse, etc.

I hate to say it, but I suspect the only bnig game left for the Wii in the US is Epic Mickey 2. I just can't see Pandora, Project Zero 2, DQX, (The Wii version) or Rodea making it Stateside at this point; it's getting pretty late in the game, and no word yet.

I still have not found out what the Last Story's Pre-orders were, but I would be shocked if Pandora's Towers was not released here. Same goes for DQX. Those other two probably are iffy at this point. But we should also be getting Kirby as well. I would be willing to bet that DQX comes to the Wii U and the Wii in the states at the same time like Zelda did in the early days of the Wii. Why not?

Xenobalde sold big in the States, and that was after a bunch of people Imported it from Europe. The Last story should have good sales as well. So they would be crazy not to. I would not mind them pushing it till early 2013 though, just so that there is a reason to own a wii in 2013 and Nintendo technically supports it for another year. I am sure there will be a bunch of wii games by 3rd parties released in 2013 as well. Especially since they will be able to be played on the wii u. If nintendo is more strict with 3rd party shovelware it may be some devs only chance to get there games out still for consoles. They can hope that the huge wii crowd will pick it up as well as the new wii u owners.

You have more faith in Nintendo than I do.

At this point, Nintendo of America seems to have long since forgotten that the Wii even exists. They didn't even bring The Last Story over themselves, XSEED did that, so I can't see them bothering with Pandora's Tower, or the Wii version of DQX. (If they were coming, surely we'd know about it by now, the Wii U is only a few months away) 

I wouldn't hold my breath for great sales for The Last Story either; the potential was there, but apparently XSEED is only doing one small shipment. If Xenoblade's sales didn't get them to release TLS, why would lesser sales of TLS make them release Pandora/DQX?

At this point, I'd be very surprised if we get ANY major titles for the Wii beyond this November.

Nintendo of America have phenomenally dropped the ball when it came to the Wii's last 2 years  on the market. They could have sent it off on a strong note, but instead they neglected it, leaving good games to rot unlocalised. Terrible, terrible management that has lost them more than a few followers.