By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kazuo Hirai on Where He's Taking Sony

Tagged games:

I like his mantra though; making devices that make your consumers smile.

Around the Network

I think single biggest problem at Sony is that lack of focus on the User Experience. Their hardware designers and engineers seem to be doing a great job but I feel their software lacks synergy with the hardware and their "services" really need to step it up.

Godspeed, Kaz. I hope you can turn things around!

I'll admit it, Kaz seems like he wants to do good things. I just think he's dealing with an impossible mission, so in the end it'll be more about where Sony takes him instead of where he takes Sony.

kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

What are your everyday go-to devices, the things you use?

Let’s see. First of all, an Xperia smartphone, Sony mobile communications. It’s an Android-based smartphone. I have two of them. I also have a traditional flip phone with me right here, a Sony flip phone that I use for just daily voice communication. At home, even this morning, I found out that the euro is 95 yen to the euro on my Bravia HX920, 55-inch. And last Friday we were out with some customers, and before we had dinner—this was out in the suburbs—we actually went to a park with a lot of orchids where we did some photo shooting of flowers. I took my Alpha 77 and my NEX-7. Those are fantastic cameras.

I can go on, but those are probably the ones I use most. Obviously on the plane I’ll use a Sony Reader, and one of the things that I touch every day at the office is the VAIO. When I go into meetings, I usually carry my tablet with me.

All of which he gets free. How many of those are first choice for consumers right now? are any of them?

Stop living off the past glories of the brand, the brand clearly needs rebuilding in the minds of consumers.  The way he talks in this paragraph is very odd and the irony of commenting on the Euro... he must have nearly choked, seeing as how he has predicted a 100 exchange rate average for the year. 

He should get a Window Phone 7 handset, a real consumer favourite. How strange it is to see him using  Sony products.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
michael_stutzer said:
kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

Let’s see. First of all, an Xperia smartphone, Sony mobile communications. It’s an Android-based smartphone. I have two of them. I also have a traditional flip phone with me right here, a Sony flip phone that I use for just daily voice communication. At home, even this morning, I found out that the euro is 95 yen to the euro on my Bravia HX920, 55-inch. And last Friday we were out with some customers, and before we had dinner—this was out in the suburbs—we actually went to a park with a lot of orchids where we did some photo shooting of flowers. I took my Alpha 77 and my NEX-7. Those are fantastic cameras.

I can go on, but those are probably the ones I use most. Obviously on the plane I’ll use a Sony Reader, and one of the things that I touch every day at the office is the VAIO. When I go into meetings, I usually carry my tablet with me.

All of which he gets free. How many of those are first choice for consumers right now? are any of them?

Stop living off the past glories of the brand, the brand clearly needs rebuilding in the minds of consumers.  The way he talks in this paragraph is very odd and the irony of commenting on the Euro... he must have nearly choked, seeing as how he has predicted a 100 exchange rate average for the year. 

He should get a Window Phone 7 handset, a real consumer favourite. How strange it is to see him using  Sony products.

Of course he shouldnt have a windows phone.  My point is the little speech he gives is funny.  OF COURSE he has sony products, but they arent the must have gadgets now.  I want a phone - I'm looking high end Sammy for android or iphone, I want an ereader - its a kindle, i want a TV - its samsung most probably.  He is thinking in ways that the consumers dont, HE has to change that, consumers wont just come running.  Havent they learned anything from the PS3 launch? Said it before and I'll say it again, Kaz acts like a fan.

I don't know, did you read the full article?  You're actually agreeing with him.  He's saying Sony used to be the leader when it came to products.  Now they're not, so they're going to have to start becoming the leaders again, make products that the consumers will want.

I think one of their main problems is just relying on Playstation brand to sell products like phones and tablets. They to create revolutionary products again, not ones that leech of past successes.

Sony should create a cellphone that isn't based around gaming. Most teenagers buy phones that are "cool", a Playstation phone isn't very cool.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

kowenicki said:
darkknightkryta said:
kowenicki said:
michael_stutzer said:
kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

Of course he shouldnt have a windows phone.  My point is the little speech he gives is funny.  OF COURSE he has sony products, but they arent the must have gadgets now.  I want a phone - I'm looking high end Sammy for android or iphone, I want an ereader - its a kindle, i want a TV - its samsung most probably.  He is thinking in ways that the consumers dont, HE has to change that, consumers wont just come running.  Havent they learned anything from the PS3 launch? Said it before and I'll say it again, Kaz acts like a fan.

I don't know, did you read the full article?  You're actually agreeing with him.  He's saying Sony used to be the leader when it came to products.  Now they're not, so they're going to have to start becoming the leaders again, make products that the consumers will want.

I know. I just think that he thinks the brand is enough. It isn't any more. His use of Apple is interesting, the pre iPod Apple is in no way similar to the Sony of now. 

Does he think the brand's enough?  He never explicitly says it.  The interviewer just asked him what devices he uses and Kaz responded, and then you're going off on him that he uses Sony devices because he works at Sony and gets them free.  And yes, why would he use other devices?  If I was given a free Android equipped Walkman, why would I go out and buy an Ipod?

kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

It's funny. As I was reading the interview, something told me you'd come in here and find a way to negatively twist it all.

I expected you to reply to this thread in that fashion. And, not surprisingly, you did.

that's crazy, I thought they stopped making cassete players in like 2003 or something

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash