By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kazuo Hirai on Where He's Taking Sony

Tagged games:

kowenicki said:

You wouldn't. Which is why him saying it is pointless. My point wasn't that, it's that by saying that and other things he has said that he thinks the brand is strong enough, that the existing products are awesome enough... They aren't, or the current situation wouldn't exist.

And again, he never explicitly says that, on the contrary, he says they need to start making better devices.

Around the Network

"Where do you think personal technology will be in five years?
People are moving more and more to the mobile space, so the two keywords, and you’ll probably hear this from everybody: smartphones and tablets. Related to that is moving a lot of things to the cloud. That’s why, for example, we felt that it was very important that we acquire the 50 percent of our joint venture in Sony Ericsson and make the cell phone business or the smartphone business a 100 percent-owned subsidiary of Sony. We needed to make decisions a lot faster. In regards to the cloud, one of the things that you probably saw is our acquisition of a company called Gaikai. That is a company that’s going to propel the movement of the video game business into the cloud space very quickly"

So he plans to move the company in the same direction as every other company is moving even though he has the disadvantage that he is several years late?

kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

What are your everyday go-to devices, the things you use?

Let’s see. First of all, an Xperia smartphone, Sony mobile communications. It’s an Android-based smartphone. I have two of them. I also have a traditional flip phone with me right here, a Sony flip phone that I use for just daily voice communication. At home, even this morning, I found out that the euro is 95 yen to the euro on my Bravia HX920, 55-inch. And last Friday we were out with some customers, and before we had dinner—this was out in the suburbs—we actually went to a park with a lot of orchids where we did some photo shooting of flowers. I took my Alpha 77 and my NEX-7. Those are fantastic cameras.

I can go on, but those are probably the ones I use most. Obviously on the plane I’ll use a Sony Reader, and one of the things that I touch every day at the office is the VAIO. When I go into meetings, I usually carry my tablet with me.

All of which he gets free. How many of those are first choice for consumers right now? are any of them?

Stop living off the past glories of the brand, the brand clearly needs rebuilding in the minds of consumers.  The way he talks in this paragraph is very odd and the irony of commenting on the Euro... he must have nearly choked, seeing as how he has predicted a 100 exchange rate average for the year. 

you again? really?

Wow. I thought it was a pretty honest interview, a lot more honest than you'd get out of a lot of CEOs, such as Stringer, who go arrogant/defensive mode, but some of these comments have shown me the error of my thoughts. It seems that he was supposed to run down the Sony brand, tell us that he doesn't like Sony products, and explain how the entire corporation is doomed.

Seriously, though, I liked his emphasis on agility and speed. That's how a lot of formerly massive companies have turned their businesses around. The problem with Sony in the last decade is that they've always trailed, always tried to grab the tail end of innovation. That's what happens when a corporation becomes too diversified; companies that are more focused are always quicker in that particular space. From what I understand, Sony still has some very good technologies, it's just that it takes so long for them to approve and roll out products and upgraded models that they're essentially giving away market share because others are beating them to the punch.

I've always liked Kaz, always thought he had good energy and drive. I think he's making some good first steps in attempting to turn Sony into a more agile and proactive company. I hope he succeeds.

Oh, one more thing, I think keeping TV manufacturing in Japan is very much a PR minded decision, the same way US companies like to be able to claim at least a few "Made in the USA" products. It's kind of iconic that Sony televisions are Japanese, and moving that segment to another location would probably hurt their image domestically.

@kowenicki 

" but they arent the must have gadgets now.  I want a phone - I'm looking high end Sammy for android or iphone, I want an ereader - its a kindle, i want a TV - its samsung most probably.  He is thinking in ways that the consumers dont, HE has to change that, consumers wont just come running.  Havent they learned anything from the PS3 launch? Said it before and I'll say it again, Kaz acts like a fan."

you said this:

but they arent the must have gadgets now

and this

"I'm looking high end Sammy for android or iphone,"

well sony mobile handset's are selling pretty d@mn well, and Sony is looking at Samsung to get their devices Playstation Mobile certified.

than you said this:

"Kaz acts like a fan"

In my opinion he act's like a CEO who is doing what it takes to turn Sony to profit company wide!

and with that i think in my opinion 

you know less about the Mobile market than you think you do:

Sony knows it's not just about the dedicated Handheld's by themselves and Nintendo may have a much tougher time of it than Sony in the future.

Apple sold 8.3M iPhones last quarter, filing shows

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/apple-sold-83m-iphones-last-quarter-filing-shows/2012/08/11/f149523c-e33d-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

impressive right?

Sony's product's are not that well in demand right?

Sony Ericsson has shipped 28 million Xperia smartphones to date!

http://www.freshbusinessthinking.com/news.php?NID=12301

advance forward to today: How many SmartPhones is Sony shipping per Q:? 02 Aug 2012

The company sold 7.4 million smartphones, and its forecast for the 12 months ending August 2013 is 34 million units in total
PlayStation Mobile could offer Trophy support, it has been revealed.
Senior account manager Agostino Simonetta said that the PS3 and Vita feature is something the team is awaiting feedback on from the community.
playstation Mobile run's on the Tegra 2 and 3. wikipad is Tegra 3, they also Have HTC, Now ASUS transformor Pro, Prime etc. and the crown jewl soon will be samsung. 
Samsung saw the biggest growth, from 70 million phones in Q2 2011 to 90 million (total handsets) in Q2 2012. 90 million!!! in 3 month's, remember , Apple 8.3 million iphone's in 3 months, and Sony sold 7.4 million xperia smarphones in 3 month's..Samsung sold 90 million, and people really have to question why Sony moved the Playstation biz. to mobile..lmao
again Sony now has HTC,ASUS,Wikipad,Nvidia...who do people think is next for Sony to get playstation Mobile certification? 

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

This is amusing...

What are your everyday go-to devices, the things you use?

Let’s see. First of all, an Xperia smartphone, Sony mobile communications. It’s an Android-based smartphone. I have two of them. I also have a traditional flip phone with me right here, a Sony flip phone that I use for just daily voice communication. At home, even this morning, I found out that the euro is 95 yen to the euro on my Bravia HX920, 55-inch. And last Friday we were out with some customers, and before we had dinner—this was out in the suburbs—we actually went to a park with a lot of orchids where we did some photo shooting of flowers. I took my Alpha 77 and my NEX-7. Those are fantastic cameras.

I can go on, but those are probably the ones I use most. Obviously on the plane I’ll use a Sony Reader, and one of the things that I touch every day at the office is the VAIO. When I go into meetings, I usually carry my tablet with me.

All of which he gets free. How many of those are first choice for consumers right now? are any of them?

Stop living off the past glories of the brand, the brand clearly needs rebuilding in the minds of consumers.  The way he talks in this paragraph is very odd and the irony of commenting on the Euro... he must have nearly choked, seeing as how he has predicted a 100 exchange rate average for the year. 

Now, this is ridiculous!

He was asked about the devices he uses everyday! What do you wanted him to answer?

Your anti-sony attitude is almost pathological.