By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamescom Highlight! DMC

No my friend.

Simply playing the "change" card you do present a rather cheap argument. "Change" can be easily used to defend everything.

And DMC along with Bayonetta belongs to a rather specific genre which is stylish hack and slash. GoW is a simple button smasher. I didn't say DMC is a GoW copycat. Ninja theory's Donte may cry is a GoW copycat.

Around the Network

A stupid-looking punk main character, ear-scorching rock soundtrack, high-octane combo-based gameplay, demons, a story that makes no sense, a cast that I cannot possibly care about

Yeah this is Devil May Cry

Edit: Good trailer by the way, will eventually be playing this

Khuutra said:

A stupid-looking punk main character, ear-scorching rock soundtrack, high-octane combo-based gameplay, demons, a story that makes no sense, a cast that I cannot possibly care about

No, he is a wannabe teenage heart throb. The soundtrack is combichrist which is the most unoriginal, mainstream, by the numbers industrial dance band there is.

It's a yawn based gameplay, with a whip, of all weapons a whip, A WHIP ! The story is the classic " society hates me" teenage problem. Lady, Trish and Vergil were kinda inescapable not to notice.

Yeah this is another brilliant Devil May Cry analysis. As I said above, the profile of the average Donte may cry supporter is a gamer who doesn't care about Devil May Cry.

pezus said:

Uhm, the game looks like a pretty stylish hack and slash to me. Maybe you should watch gameplay. And no, GoW is not just a simple button masher.

Im not saying that in a bad way. Gow is a great game, but Donte's game is simply a lot closer to Gow than it is to Bayonetta & Devil May Cry.

Donte may cry is more like the emo version of God Of War.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Khuutra said:

No, he is a wannabe teenage heart throb. The soundtrack is combichrist which is the most unoriginal, mainstream, by the numbers industrial dance band there is.

It's a yawn based gameplay, with a whip, of all weapons a whip, A WHIP ! The story is the classic " society hates me" teenage problem. Lady, Trish and Vergil were kinda inescapable not to notice.

Yeah this is another brilliant Devil May Cry analysis. As I said above, the profile of the average Donte may cry supporter is a gamer who doesn't care about Devil May Cry.

THanks for the armchair analysis of my action game cred Darth Hombre, but to be clear I have curb-stomped the living shit out of Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 during one of my periodic action game kicks. This would be around the same time I went apeshit on Ninja Gaiden Black, and just before I beat Bayonetta into the ground. The finer points of these games do not escape me.

The gameplay footage we've seen of Dante - this Dante - is primarily about him fighting with a sword and switching up to two guns. Some of the combos they've shown are literally lifted right from DmC3. The presence of non-sword weapons should not be disconcerting to you; they were half the reason to play DMC3 in the first place.

And absolutely terrible rock is a staple of the series, regardless of your knowledge of the specific bands involved. As a guy who isn't part of that "scene" and thinks the music in all DMC games is effectively garbage, this fits perfectly.

Wannabe teenage heart-throb? Have you seen Dante as he was in the original games? The waifish bishounen douchebag with a constantly exposed chest? Granted he's more of a male power fantasy than trying to appeal to women directly, but so is this Dante, it's just according to a Western idea of what qualifies as a punk character versus the anime ideal of the same.

Lady, Trish, and Vergil were STUPID. The whole series was STUPID. It embraced this stupidity, and that is a big part of what made the series great. This game, by all appearances, is doing exactly the same thing.

As a guy who tends to refrain from making lightning-quick judgements on people who he's never spoken to before, I have got to say, this is actually shaping up pretty well for a Western-made spiritual successor to DmC. Hell of a lot better than the second one.

Khuutra said:

THanks for the armchair analysis of my action game cred Darth Hombre, but to be clear I have curb-stomped the living shit out of Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 during one of my periodic action game kicks. This would be around the same time I went apeshit on Ninja Gaiden Black, and just before I beat Bayonetta into the ground. The finer points of these games do not escape me.

The gameplay footage we've seen of Dante - this Dante - is primarily about him fighting with a sword and switching up to two guns. Some of the combos they've shown are literally lifted right from DmC3. The presence of non-sword weapons should not be disconcerting to you; they were half the reason to play DMC3 in the first place.

And absolutely terrible rock is a staple of the series, regardless of your knowledge of the specific bands involved. As a guy who isn't part of that "scene" and thinks the music in all DMC games is effectively garbage, this fits perfectly.

Wannabe teenage heart-throb? Have you seen Dante as he was in the original games? The waifish bishounen douchebag with a constantly exposed chest? Granted he's more of a male power fantasy than trying to appeal to women directly, but so is this Dante, it's just according to a Western idea of what qualifies as a punk character versus the anime ideal of the same.

Lady, Trish, and Vergil were STUPID. The whole series was STUPID. It embraced this stupidity, and that is a big part of what made the series great. This game, by all appearances, is doing exactly the same thing.

As a guy who tends to refrain from making lightning-quick judgements on people who he's never spoken to before, I have got to say, this is actually shaping up pretty well for a Western-made spiritual successor to DmC. Hell of a lot better than the second one.

First of all, trying to draw credibility by saying the ever so original "played everything". Good job but we've all been there, done that.

Switching between weapons means nothing, Kamiya would be very dissapointed at the gamers who played his games to the fullest. Still doesn't say anything about how it looks more like Gow than DMC and Bayonetta. No wait, if there is a sword AND a gun it could also be the spiritual successor to Final fantasy VIII !

The DMC soundtracks had some of the best industrial beats and riffs. It's all sampled nothing rock about that. The "scene" is like 25 years old since Skinny Puppy invented it.

Yeah, Dante is all about over the top absurdity and killer one liners. Not a Jacob and Edward combination with eye liner. The only character that has ever come close as an attitude is Garcia fucking Hotspur from Shadows of the Damned.

By saying they embraced the stupidity as a whole, you are simply generalizing and failing to make any short of connection between the DMC characters and Donte's cast.

DMC  2 was not the best game ever. We have an original thinker in the house ! You realise you just said, its ok that didi may cry is crap as long as it is better than another crap game... great logic !

Around the Network

Pretty glad Vergil's design wasn't entirely altered like Dante's.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

First of all, trying to draw credibility by saying the ever so original "played everything". Good job but we've all been there, done that.

Switching between weapons means nothing, Kamiya would be very dissapointed at the gamers who played his games to the fullest. Still doesn't say anything about how it looks more like Gow than DMC and Bayonetta. No wait, if there is a sword AND a gun it could also be the spiritual successor to Final fantasy VIII !

The DMC soundtracks had some of the best industrial beats and riffs. It's all sampled nothing rock about that. The "scene" is like 25 years old since Skinny Puppy invented it.

Yeah, Dante is all about over the top absurdity and killer one liners. Not a Jacob and Edward combination with eye liner. The only caracter that has ever come close as an attitude is Garcia fucking Hotspur from Shadows of the Damned.

By saying they embraced the stupidity as a whole, you are simply generalizing and failing to make any short of connection between the DMC characters and Donte's cast.

DMC  2 was not the best game ever. We have an original thinker in the house ! You realise you just said, its ok that didi may cry is crap as long as it is better than another crap game... great logic !

You are combining the two critical errors of rudeness and intentional misunderstanding. THat and a ort of willful insistence that things are a certian way, therefore they are a certain way; that kidn of circular argument is impossible to go against.

The gameplay does not look like God of War's dial-a-combo system wherein there were a total of two combos you ever really needed. God of War was a primarily defensive title built around figuring out the moments of vulnerability where it was possible to stagger enemies, or where they could not stagger you - on higher difficulties rather than lwoer ones, granted, but it's stil lthere. Devil May Cry, this one and the classic ones, are not exactly like that. They are much more offense-oriented titles, as Bayonetta is, where if yo uare good you can remain on the offensive and never take a hit.

Devil May Cry's music is awful in all the iterations I've ever seen of it. This is continuing that trend.

I don't know what you're actually talking about with "the only character that has ever come close with an attitude." Do you mean the attitude of Dante? I get that you like Devil May Cry, but Dante himself is a ten-a-penny sort of bad-ass who's very common in bishounen manga and anime, taking more than a few pages from the likes of Hellsing's Alucard. There's nothing stand-out about him, because there doesn't have to be. He's not there ot be identified with, he's there to surf on missiles and do wicked lip tricks off a giant skull into a burning vagina. He's a terrible character, and that's great, and this Dante seems to be doing exactly the same stuff. That shit wit hthe ferris wheel? Pitch perfect.

I don't have to make a connection between the characters; the characters are just window dressing, and don't matter in the long run.

And you are being willfully obtuse in saying that "its ok that didi may cry is crap as long as it is better than another crap game". What I actually said was that this Devil May Cry is truer to the series than a game htat was actually in the series, which is saying quite a bit more.

But you have shown yourself to be willing to dismiss someone based primarily on disagreement alone, rather than on argument, so I will bow out. The last word on this argument, of course, is yours.

Khuutra said:

You are combining the two critical errors of rudeness and intentional misunderstanding. THat and a ort of willful insistence that things are a certian way, therefore they are a certain way; that kidn of circular argument is impossible to go against.

The gameplay does not look like God of War's dial-a-combo system wherein there were a total of two combos you ever really needed. God of War was a primarily defensive title built around figuring out the moments of vulnerability where it was possible to stagger enemies, or where they could not stagger you - on higher difficulties rather than lwoer ones, granted, but it's stil lthere. Devil May Cry, this one and the classic ones, are not exactly like that. They are much more offense-oriented titles, as Bayonetta is, where if yo uare good you can remain on the offensive and never take a hit.

Devil May Cry's music is awful in all the iterations I've ever seen of it. This is continuing that trend.

I don't know what you're actually talking about with "the only character that has ever come close with an attitude." Do you mean the attitude of Dante? I get that you like Devil May Cry, but Dante himself is a ten-a-penny sort of bad-ass who's very common in bishounen manga and anime, taking more than a few pages from the likes of Hellsing's Alucard. There's nothing stand-out about him, because there doesn't have to be. He's not there ot be identified with, he's there to surf on missiles and do wicked lip tricks off a giant skull into a burning vagina. He's a terrible character, and that's great, and this Dante seems to be doing exactly the same stuff. That shit wit hthe ferris wheel? Pitch perfect.

I don't have to make a connection between the characters; the characters are just window dressing, and don't matter in the long run.

And you are being willfully obtuse in saying that "its ok that didi may cry is crap as long as it is better than another crap game". What I actually said was that this Devil May Cry is truer to the series than a game htat was actually in the series, which is saying quite a bit more.

But you have shown yourself to be willing to dismiss someone based primarily on disagreement alone, rather than on argument, so I will bow out. The last word on this argument, of course, is yours.

Donte seems to be dodgin most of the time and fitting your gow description. And you are teaming them up "this one and the classic ones" in an attempt to prove that they are alike ? Bayonetta and DMC are both skill based fast arcade styled action games. Simple as that, no platforming.

I don't care about your taste in music or music knowledge, but i doubt someone who has allegedly played DMC to the fullest doens't know about industrial. It's like someone in an attempt to defend Silent Hill Downpour is tryinig to talk down on Akira Yamaoka.

Alucard is a full fledged demon and actually a rather tragic character. He is laughing and acting above everything because that is all he can do as a demon. Read the damn manga. Garcia Hotspur is the only one that comes close in video games, as an absurd, one liner, offensive, macho protagonist. Video games, manga is different medium.  Donte is the star of a linkin park teenage fantasy story, who is "cool" and "noone understands him" and "society hates him".

Trish, Lady and Vergil are not window dressing. They kinda matter especially when they drive the story and the third battle between Dante and Vergil is only one of the greatest action battles in video games. Let's be honest you said something in zest about one of the most important elements in the games and you have nothing.

No, you said that Dontes game is a Western-made spiritual successor, that doesnt spell truer, that spells... nothing really.

Sorry, I think missed the part with the argument.

I like the reboot so far. I've only played DMC 4 but I have bought the HD remakes of the first 3. This has been my first generation of Hack and Slash games but I've fallen in love. Can't wait for the new DMC.

voty2000 said:
 Can't wait for the new DMC.

Me too, hopefully Platinum games will make it.