By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The burden of the Intellectual

And the egos start flying.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I'm an intellectual and I disagree with your list of facts that are certainties. Guns aren't only designed to kill people, sexuality is somewhat a choice, circumcism does have medical benefits where the foreskin is too tight to slide back over the head of the penis. Also has some cleanlyness benefits, which are side effects of the genuine medical remedies, certainly wouldn't advocate it for hygeine alone though lol.

Climate change, also bullshit. Climate change has been taking place for millions of years, we have an ice age every 10,000 years or so. What's the problem, you're turning it into some kind of loaded "green" issues by saying we have to do something about it.

No we don't.

You basically sound like an above average intelligence person who is ignorant of things they haven't experienced physically or socially to any proper degree. Welcome to the club.

amp316 said:
Runa216 said:
amp316 said:
Runa216 said:
amp316 said:

Exactly.  It is an opinion and I don't tell everyone that everybody should be circumcised and you shouldn't say that it being done is a barbaric act.  It is an opinion...  

To clarify, I refer to infantile circumcision.  Nobody should ever force it on someone else, especially not on a kid that barely knows how to move.  If they grow up and chose to do it, that's their right, but forcing it on your kid just becuase it worked for you or becuase your religion tells you to is horrible. 

What if you lived life without your left thumb, or your religion had a tradition that involved cutting off the pinky?  would you force those mutilations on a kid just becuase of your religion or perceived benefits? 

Oh come on!  Removing a piece of skin is not the same as having a finger cut off and you, as an intellectual, know that.  

dodged like a boss!

BenVTrigger said:
Im not sure why hes so adament on the circumscision thing either mostly for a couple reasons

It is scientifically proven the uncircumscised men are likely to contract skin infections such as Blantus

And that sexual intercourse is more enjoyable for circumscised males due to it being easier to stimulate and get sensation in the head of the penis.

Many of his points and posts are missing actual scientific fact and are just strong opinion. He needs to learn to seperate his personal feelings from that matter.

There are veeeeeeeery few things in our life that are actual fact. Things like time, gravity, and space which are everyday moments of our lives arent fact we are learning more and more.

Seriously, it really is not that hard to pull back the skin. Like, it really isn't. Also, opinion.

amp316 said:

Oh come on!  Removing a piece of skin is not the same as having a finger cut off and you, as an intellectual, know that.  

No he doesn't, and that's where he fails. He makes constant likenesses and puts an apple beside a pear and compares how they should be the same and aren't, and then he's confused why we disagree.

And if we disagree, he is very aggressive.

@OP. A man is mature enough to debate complex or controversial issues without imposing his views on others, no matter how valid his PoV is compared to another. A child is not.

Around the Network

I dont know why people keep jumping on my circumsicion post. I simply posted that as examples of why his opinion isnt fact.

And your correct the statement waz opinion. As his was. Thats the point. In order for something to be a scientifict fact it cant have an opposit opinion.

The earth is a sphere. If someones opinion is that its a triangle their wrong. There is zero valid argument thats the earth is a triangle. Some people think sex is better without the skin being on your pennis and there isnt scientific proof either way. Thus just an example of why the stuff hes posting arent facts

BenVTrigger said:
I dont know why people keep jumping on my circumsicion post. I simply posted that as examples of why his opinion isnt fact.

And your correct the statement waz opinion. As his was. Thats the point. In order for something to be a scientifict fact it cant have an opposit opinion.

The earth is a sphere. If someones opinion is that its a triangle their wrong. There is zero valid argument thats the earth is a triangle. Some people think sex is better without the skin being on your pennis and there isnt scientific proof either way. Thus just an example of why the stuff hes posting arent facts

This is why, in my opinion, OP is a net for contention and flaming. No matter your opinion, if it differs with his, you get jumped on.

I have never seen anything like it tbh.

Wow. You really need to get off that high pedestal. Calling yourself an intellectual and considering it a burden is just painfully childish.
Ever wonder why your supposed smart people have "conceded" that everyone can have an opinion? It's not because they're civilized; it's because they're smart.
You seem to be under the horrible delusion that there are some few smart people who all agree with each other on everything (except abortion and euthanasia) and are all disgusted by the masses and their stupidity. I don't even know where to start on how silly that seems to me.
I don't get it, though. I agree with liberals on most things because they're open-minded and yet when it comes to pretty much anything they're passionate about, they immediately ditch the "everything is subjective" idea and start thinking in black and white.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Mr Khan said:

If being gay is a choice, why would anyone choose it? Why choose to be something that's going to get you ostracized by a good number of people today, or could have gotten you many punishments like chemical castration as late as 60 years ago?

Why choose to be Christian as a Roman and suffer terrible death? Why choose to be a passionate of dancing when in a community that shuns expression through the body? Why choose art in a world that favors science? Why choose marrying a person of a different color when it's frowned upon? And this list is limited by my lack of knoledge in history.

How can one think that homosexuality is the only choice that is one of passion and sacrifice given what we know from history?

SmokedHostage said:
At the cost of crass, I usually say this when Infantile Circumcision comes.

"You should remove the eyelids while you're at it."

Surely the line between child abuse and long term hygienic/religious practices is blurred for more than I'd like it to be. At the same time, I'm not a big fan of genital piercings but I would like it to be considered abuse if a parent decided to give their child one.

I do think external forces shape sexual preferences more than say.. biology or one's choice. For instance, a person in prison that becomes gay or bisexual due to their interactions with prison mates and their sexual desires can't say they really CHOSE to be gay but at the same time say that they have a subconscious or genetic disposition to desiring men or women. That isn't to say that sexuality is determined exclusively by external forces. For instance, my older brother used to get a lot of female attention in middle school and high school but he was gay then and is gay now.

I really wanted to get to guns as well. Much like how people say outlawing drugs does not prevent people from getting access to them or using them, I think guns should be held in a similar regard. Guns kills, yes, as do knifes, hammers, ropes, crossbows and cars but it's far less the tool's fault as it is the person's. I think the main reason guns are demonized is because unlike the previously stated, guns have range (unlike knifes and hammers) and ease of use (unlike crossbows and cars). Based on that I think it's asinine to ban guns outright. Ban guns from felons and the mentally ill, sure. Ban guns from everyone, that would be as effective as banning cars on the off chance my neighbor might get drink and crash into my family room.

That's the balance. You can choose who you sleep with, but you can't choose what you feel. Gay is gay, and bisexual is bisexual (Mr. Stickball was quite wrong to use that as a rebuttal).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.