By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U specs and performance matter, and Nintendo knows this

brendude13 said:
selnor said:

ROFL.

The wiiu CPU looks to be marginally better than that in the 360. Only running 3 cores in 2012 when 360 was running 3 cores at 3.2ghz in 2005 is pure insane.

You say 360 is 20x more powerful than Wii. Okay, that ended this conversation. LOL.

I don't think you understand how CPU architectural changes work.

Yeah, he doesn't. The way he talks about cores shows he have no clue of how CPU works. Looks like he doesn't even know what CPU architecture is. I wonder why he is even arguing about CPU.

Soundwave said:

If the Wii U was comparable to the PS4/720 it'd have no problem running every game in its launch window at 1080p without even breaking a sweat. Assassin's Creed 3 and Madden NFL and Batman Arkham City shouldn't just be "maybe a little better", they should be easily better than the PS3/360 versions.

Really? x360 for the most part is running sub HD games (which is not even 720p) and as much as we had things like project ghotan racing, we also had things like this:

And Ubisoft already confirmed they don't want to put more money on the WiiU versions for now because it's a new platform, which makes your arguments just wrong. Maybe you should look at the past and see how multiplatform games looked on the x360/PS3?

Wii U is marginally more powerful than a 360/PS3.

Just like x720/PS4 is marginally more powerful than WiiU. Make the math. WiiU is at minimum 2x more powerful than x360, x720 is 6x more powerful than x360.

PS4/720 are going to be large leaps ahead of all of those platforms, Sony has said it themselves, there's no point in making a PS4 until it can be a very large leap above the PS3.

Really? same argument again? Did you actually tried to answer/read my post?

It doesn't really matter though, because third parties treat Nintendo like crap anyway. Nintendo doesn't just have an issue with hardware fidelity, they have a massive demographic problem. The kids who play Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed/Halo and all those types of games are all XBox/PS first type of gamers.

Really? same argument again? Did you actually tried to answer/read the other posts? Youre doing the same thing Selnor is doing over and over again just to reinforce what you want to come true, you guys can't even read/reply to our posts.

Just because Nintendo is now finally getting ports of franchises that have been on their PS3/360 for years now is not going to impress them. And then when 720/PS4 comes out, they're going to see games like Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs, which are either not going to be on the Wii U period (as of now, it's a no) or are going to have to be scaled down to run on the Wii U, and really of that demographic, how many people do you think are going to buy the Wii U version?

Yeah, Star Wars 1313 which is a Unreal Engine 3 game and Watch Dogs which is a x360/PS3 game. Really? And now you clearly can see the future. You already knows how WiiU support is going to be in the next years. You should be an analyst.

Around the Network

As for Selnor, I won't even try. He simply ignored most of the posts/arguments, we shouldn't give him attention. He (again) is using some info in the wrong way because the same source who says the x720 has 12GBs in the devkit (6gbs for retail version) is the same source who says the x720 will use most of the ram for OS/multimedia fuctions. He is only using the part which suits to his agenda.

And even if the x720 has 6gbs for games only, it won't be possible to provide the same leap found betwen Wii and x360/PS3.

Sorry for the double post.

Hisiru said:

As for Selnor, I won't even try. He simply ignored most of the posts/arguments, we shouldn't give him attention. He (again) is using some info in the wrong way because the same source who says the x720 has 12GBs in the devkit (6gbs for retail version) is the same source who says the x720 will use most of the ram for OS/multimedia fuctions. He is only using the part which suits to his agenda.

And even if the x720 has 6gbs for games only, it won't be possible to provide the same leap found betwen Wii and x360/PS3.

Even on sheer numbers, the 4x RAM of Wii U to rumored Xbox 3 is better than the 5.8x RAM between Wii and X360 (plus 24 Megs of Wii's RAM was "slow," so it's really more like 64 usable).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Hisiru said:

Even on sheer numbers, the 4x RAM of Wii U to rumored Xbox 3 is better than the 5.8x RAM between Wii and X360 (plus 24 Megs of Wii's RAM was "slow," so it's really more like 64 usable).

Exactly, but if all those rumours and leaked specs are true (which is the same rumour with the specs Selnor is using) at least 2Gbs is reserved for OS(Windows8)/Multitasking/Multimedia aspects/Kinect etc, which means the xbox3 actually only has 2x or almost 3x more ram than WiiU for games.

As for the GPU, as I said before, xbox3 needs a 12TFlop GPU (currently, it looks like the xbox3 GPU is around 1~2TFlops) in order to provide the same 20x gap between Wii and x360.

WiiU's GPU started development in 2010, which means it has a modern feature set, and we won't have another SD->HD transition, 1080p->1440p is very expensive and not very noticiable. There is a graphic comparing 1080p and 1440p but I can't find it, it would be very informative for people like Selnor.

WiiU won't be able to provide effects with the same intensity but it's impossible to have a huge difference between WiiU and the other consoles as much as people want to believe.

The biggest problem for the WiiU is third party support but I don't think we can really make assumptions about it. If games like Assassin's Creed 3 can sell on the system, then it will be impossible to have the same Wii situation (huge graphical difference and bad third party sales).

Hisiru said:
Mr Khan said:
Hisiru said:

Exactly, but if all those rumours and leaked specs are true (which is the same rumour with the specs Selnor is using) at least 2Gbs is reserved for OS(Windows8)/Multitasking/Multimedia aspects/Kinect etc, which means the xbox3 actually only has 2x or almost 3x more ram than WiiU for games.

As for the GPU, as I said before, xbox3 needs a 12TFlop GPU (currently, it looks like the xbox3 GPU is around 1~2TFlops) in order to provide the same 20x gap between Wii and x360.

WiiU's GPU started development in 2010, which means it has a modern feature set, and we won't have another SD->HD transition, 1080p->1440p is very expensive and not very noticiable. There is a graphic comparing 1080p and 1440p but I can't find it, it would be very informative for people like Selnor.

WiiU won't be able to provide effects with the same intensity but it's impossible to have a huge difference between WiiU and the other consoles as much as people want to believe.

The biggest problem for the WiiU is third party support but I don't think we can really make assumptions about it. If games like Assassin's Creed 3 can sell on the system, then it will be impossible to have the same Wii situation (huge graphical difference and bad third party sales).

If I were to translate the Wii U's performance into previous generation terms I would say that it would be like Nintendo releasing a system with a dual core processor running at 1.5GHz (Power PC 970 MP like the mac mini) with 128MB of memory and a GPU based on the Radeon X600. Inexpensive, low energy consumption, and low processing power compared to the competition, but based on more modern technology and more viable for cross platform development.

Had Nintendo done this and been as successful initially you (probably) would have seen many developers react differently; and I would expect many companies to have designed for the Wii and enhanced for the HD consoles, which could have helped the Wii to sell better and re-enforce this strategy.

Around the Network

If it really matter, honestly the aren't showing it at all. I'm happy with a game like Wind Waker, but not most people out there that supposedly they are trying to catch.

While Pikmin 3 and NSMBU looks good to me, not for others. If they have better specs than PS360 those 2 games could show with nice details. For example, Mario U has beautiful backgrounds, but part of the foreground looks like the Wii version. If a third party like Ubisoft can make a game like Rayman, why Nintendo can't output something better?

Instead of porting ME3 or Batman, they needed to convince publishers to port new games like Watchdogs, Far Cry 3 or Remember Me. Why re-make Ninja Gaiden 3 when they can put resources to develop a version of RE6 or with EA for Medal of Honor?

I like the console, but don't see any reason for PS360 owners to go for a Wii U.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Reading through many of these comments, I'm surprised not many people called BS on the 12 cores thing. The only way I can believe 12 cores is if it were handled the same way the PS3 does its cores. Otherwise, 12 cores is 100% not true and if it were, it'd be a huge waste of power and put the system way above even last years prices on their consoles. You need the other parts of your console to match your processor when you do that.

MDMAlliance said:
Reading through many of these comments, I'm surprised not many people called BS on the 12 cores thing. The only way I can believe 12 cores is if it were handled the same way the PS3 does its cores. Otherwise, 12 cores is 100% not true and if it were, it'd be a huge waste of power and put the system way above even last years prices on their consoles. You need the other parts of your console to match your processor when you do that.

The PS3's processor is and always has been single core. It has 8(6 usable) extra SPU's, but only 1 core.

Pavolink said:
If it really matter, honestly the aren't showing it at all. I'm happy with a game like Wind Waker, but not most people out there that supposedly they are trying to catch.

While Pikmin 3 and NSMBU looks good to me, not for others. If they have better specs than PS360 those 2 games could show with nice details. For example, Mario U has beautiful backgrounds, but part of the foreground looks like the Wii version. If a third party like Ubisoft can make a game like Rayman, why Nintendo can't output something better?

Instead of porting ME3 or Batman, they needed to convince publishers to port new games like Watchdogs, Far Cry 3 or Remember Me. Why re-make Ninja Gaiden 3 when they can put resources to develop a version of RE6 or with EA for Medal of Honor?

I like the console, but don't see any reason for PS360 owners to go for a Wii U.

Your sig reminds me why I should still care about the Wii U. Just. 

lilbroex said:
MDMAlliance said:

The PS3's processor is and always has been single core. It has 8(6 usable) extra SPU's, but only 1 core.

Yeah, but some people say it's "technically" 8, and I've heard people refer to it as 8, so rumors of "12" could also mean "technically" 12.  You know what I mean?