By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U specs and performance matter, and Nintendo knows this

HappySqurriel said:

If I were to translate the Wii U's performance into previous generation terms I would say that it would be like Nintendo releasing a system with a dual core processor running at 1.5GHz (Power PC 970 MP like the mac mini) with 128MB of memory and a GPU based on the Radeon X600. Inexpensive, low energy consumption, and low processing power compared to the competition, but based on more modern technology and more viable for cross platform development.

Had Nintendo done this and been as successful initially you (probably) would have seen many developers react differently; and I would expect many companies to have designed for the Wii and enhanced for the HD consoles, which could have helped the Wii to sell better and re-enforce this strategy.

Well... I can't say you are wrong, really. I actually agree with you even on the specs you suggested. I think we will have good sales for some third party games, but I am still skeptical about third party support. Nintendo's hardware team did a poor research and a poor job on the Wii.

And Mass Effect 3 is being developd by a different studio (not bioware). I don't want to make assumptions but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had to find a studio to make the port.

I think it will depend on sales, not hardware anymore because the hardware is there this time, even if it won't be as powerful as the other consoles. Unfortunately, Wii left a bad impression for some people/devs. I hope (as a gamer) the WiiU will be able to change it.

Pavolink said:
While Pikmin 3 and NSMBU looks good to me, not for others. If they have better specs than PS360 those 2 games could show with nice details. For example, Mario U has beautiful backgrounds, but part of the foreground looks like the Wii version. If a third party like Ubisoft can make a game like Rayman, why Nintendo can't output something better?

Instead of porting ME3 or Batman, they needed to convince publishers to port new games like Watchdogs, Far Cry 3 or Remember Me. Why re-make Ninja Gaiden 3 when they can put resources to develop a version of RE6 or with EA for Medal of Honor?

I like the console, but don't see any reason for PS360 owners to go for a Wii U.

We can't really say those games aren't coming. We will have all the announcements in the big WiiU conference. As for Remember Me, it's a May 2013 game, and I am sure they will port the game if WiiU can deliver good sales for third party games.

Pikmin 3 was a Wii game till last year, so it won't have incredible graphics. Ubisoft (which is WiiU's biggest supporter so far) already said they aren't spending a lot of money on the WiiU ports, they also said they aren't really exploring the system's capabilities with games like AC3 and ZombiU. I think we will have a better picture of what the WiiU really is at the next big WiiU conference (probably next month). This conference will include:

-Info about all the online features

-All the unannounced launch games

-2013 games

-Price

-Launch date

-Free To Play games (Not made by Nintendo)

-All the other Nintendo Land games

-All the other secret functionalities.

They already confirmed they didn't announced all the games/features at E3 in order to avoid idea copying. Project Cars for example, devs were ready to show the WiiU version at E3 but nothing was mentioned, probably NDA.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

If the Wii U was comparable to the PS4/720 it'd have no problem running every game in its launch window at 1080p without even breaking a sweat. Assassin's Creed 3 and Madden NFL and Batman Arkham City shouldn't just be "maybe a little better", they should be easily better than the PS3/360 versions.

Wii U is marginally more powerful than a 360/PS3.

PS4/720 are going to be large leaps ahead of all of those platforms, Sony has said it themselves, there's no point in making a PS4 until it can be a very large leap above the PS3.

It doesn't really matter though, because third parties treat Nintendo like crap anyway. Nintendo doesn't just have an issue with hardware fidelity, they have a massive demographic problem. The kids who play Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed/Halo and all those types of games are all XBox/PS first type of gamers.

Just because Nintendo is now finally getting ports of franchises that have been on their PS3/360 for years now is not going to impress them. And then when 720/PS4 comes out, they're going to see games like Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs, which are either not going to be on the Wii U period (as of now, it's a no) or are going to have to be scaled down to run on the Wii U, and really of that demographic, how many people do you think are going to buy the Wii U version?

The Wii U runs Assassin's Creed and Batman at 1080p; whether it's native or upscaled is beyond me. Ubisoft said they aren't spending much money on their Wii U games right now so Assn's Creed and their other launch title won't look that good. Like I've said on these forums several times, there won't be an insanely high jump unless Sony/MS wait until around 2015-2016 to launch at a decent price, and do you really think BOTH of them will wait that long?

As for the dempgraphic thing, you're pretty much right, but Nintendo hasn't shown us how they'll get the hardcore. At least give them an adequate chance to show us before the system launches. Games like Watchdogs and other multiplats would work just fine on the Wii U because the Wii U can run UE4 ie, they won't be scaled down. 

Hell even I have an HDTV, hd is just in like every house hold now, seriously.

IamAwsome said:

The Wii U runs Assassin's Creed and Batman at 1080p; whether it's native or upscaled is beyond me. Ubisoft said they aren't spending much money on their Wii U games right now so Assn's Creed and their other launch title won't look that good. Like I've said on these forums several times, there won't be an insanely high jump unless Sony/MS wait until around 2015-2016 to launch at a decent price, and do you really think BOTH of them will wait that long?

As for the dempgraphic thing, you're pretty much right, but Nintendo hasn't shown us how they'll get the hardcore. At least give them an adequate chance to show us before the system launches. Games like Watchdogs and other multiplats would work just fine on the Wii U because the Wii U can run UE4 ie, they won't be scaled down. 

Unfortunately, AC3 and Batman are not confirmed to be 1080p yet.

Pavolink said:

I like the console, but don't see any reason for PS360 owners to go for a Wii U.

I stated this earlier in the thread soemwhere but Nintendo's E3 and information strategy has not been aimed at PS3/X360 owners.  It's been aimed at Wii only gamers.   They've openly stated this.  They plan to start targeting X360/PS3 owners over the next few months.   Ever notice that Nintendo is forbidding all these big publishers and developers from speaking about their projects until Nintendo gives the OK?  This is why.  When they say "Go", the floodgates targeting PS3/X360 owners will open.  I suspect later this month will kick it off.   Right now, they are still concetrating on the launch of the 3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros 2 and the ability to download the full retail game on the eShop.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Hisiru said:
IamAwsome said:

Unfortunately, AC3 and Batman are not confirmed to be 1080p yet.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/8120/article/wii-u-to-run-assassin-s-creed-3-and-batman-arkham-city-at-1080p/ 

This is from a Nintendo rep. 

Viper1 said:
Pavolink said:

I stated this earlier in the thread soemwhere but Nintendo's E3 and information strategy has not been aimed at PS3/X360 owners.  It's been aimed at Wii only gamers.   They've openly stated this.  They plan to start targeting X360/PS3 owners over the next few months.   Ever notice that Nintendo is forbidding all these big publishers and developers from speaking about their projects until Nintendo gives the OK?  This is why.  When they say "Go", the floodgates targeting PS3/X360 owners will open.  I suspect later this month will kick it off.   Right now, they are still concetrating on the launch of the 3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros 2 and the ability to download the full retail game on the eShop.

Oh, I see. Well, as a Wii owner they are doing a good job with the games, bad with the marketing (E3 presentation), but games are there. Wonder what kind of games they will show for PS360 owners.

I think COD, Ninja Gaiden, ME3, ZombiU and maybe RE6.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:

Oh, I see. Well, as a Wii owner they are doing a good job with the games, bad with the marketing (E3 presentation), but games are there. Wonder what kind of games they will show for PS360 owners.

Agreed.  I think we'll see soem other big projects as well.  Capcom may have soemthign exclusive to show soon.  We'll also see a few more Western developers with Wii U projects.  Developers that largely ignored the Wii completely.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Pavolink said:

Agreed.  I think we'll see soem other big projects as well.  Capcom may have soemthign exclusive to show soon.  We'll also see a few more Western developers with Wii U projects.  Developers that largely ignored the Wii completely.

Wouldn't be surprised if games like Bioshock ends on Wii U also. Even Far Cry 3 is Ubisoft sales are respectable for their launch games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile