By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita is doomed, Sony doesn't get gaming, PSP/PS3 losing money

Tagged games:

"....Anti-Nintendo as recently as the GBA-SP...."

Soooooo......nearly 10 years ago then....

VERY FUCKING RECENT!

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

Doomed is a dumb word. People should stop using it.

It's more relevant to discuss whether Vita will be a financial success for Sony and third parties in the long run. That's the only thing that matters.

Actually doomed is a very fitting word. It's just over used when a console isn't doomed.

The Vita is genuinely starting to look like it might be doomed though.

fillet said:

Actually doomed is a very fitting word. It's just over used when a console isn't doomed.

Doomed how? Doomed to what? It's just such a vague word. Its meaning isn't consistant enough around here. The bottom line is: will Sony profit from the Vita long-term? That's the only appropriate way to measure success. By that standard, the Vita can't be "doomed" until it has reached a point where Sony has lost so much money from it that it would be impossible for it to make back its losses.

the_dengle said:
fillet said:

Doomed how? Doomed to what? It's just such a vague word. Its meaning isn't consistant enough around here. The bottom line is: will Sony profit from the Vita long-term? That's the only appropriate way to measure success. By that standard, the Vita can't be "doomed" until it has reached a point where Sony has lost so much money from it that it would be impossible for it to make back its losses.

We don't deal with actualities here, we only deal with abstract pigeon holing. If you want facts and objectivity you are in the wrong place.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Although people like to doom something as soon as they can, the truth is that 3DS was the first to come out when mobile gaming started becoming a serious contender. Problem is, 3DS didn`t start well and to analysts mobile gaming was the ooonly reason. Than came Vita: another one that starts bad, therefore it`s the mobile gaming`s fault. What you gonna do?

PSP might have sold more than 70 million units, but that was the only good part of the story, because the other part is that it didn`t sell a lot of software (piracy, used for multimedia purposes perhaps).
With that, how should developers feel confident - while seeing another bad start and the lead that 3DS already has - to develop for it? To me, Vita is in the same situation as the GC was in relation to N64: less consoles sold, less games sold.

Developers have no reason to be confident about Vita.
PSP started bad and turned around; PS3 started bad and turned around. Can Vita do the same?

I think that Sony should seriously start considering releasing consoles very close to break even points. With the financial troubles Sony is in, either you know you are going to win or you got to play it safe.

Around the Network

The term, "Doomed" is shortened from the term, "doomed to fail" and therefore, is a forewarning. Using it before a system fails is the point. The problem is that it has become a popular phrase than has lost its meaning. When people say a console is, "doomed" they are saying it is, "doomed to fail" in a relative manner; usually sales.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I didn't read all the comments, just mostly the article. I agree with some points in the article and I do see some people who aren't understanding the article completely. He isn't saying "Sony doesn't understand gaming" but that Sony doesn't understand the market for gaming. Personally, I agree with him on the handheld part of the market. None of us here are those kinds of people or the majority that buy handhelds and games. We are a select few so we can't just say B.S. because it doesn't apply to us. $250, regardless of how good it is, seems like too much for many people. My parents definitely think so. They think $200 is a bit too much as well. However, $200 is within reason of spending. I think it's hard to say Sony isn't on its way to dying out when it had so many years of financial loss. I'm not going to say they're doomed really, because I have no idea what will happen in their future because the 3DS made a quick turn, so it's not completely out of reason to think the Vita or other Sony products wont do the same.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

doomed really means success. like how when 3DS was doomed but now look at it. PS3 was doomed too when it was getting battered by both xbox 360 and wii before and now look at it. people are now saying ps vita is doomed and by this holiday it'll probably be selling more than PS3.

The doomsayers have to be right some time.

It's not VIta people should be talking about, it's the doom of Sony they should focus on. Sony's in serious trouble and the way in which Vita doom may arrive is that Sony folds, sells the PS brand and the buyer, rightly, discontinues the Vita.

Anyway as the the Vita is doomed articel talking about failed sales, I get the feeling they are only looking at USA sales and extrapolating. And they probably look at shipments and assume Sony has 10s of millions of PSPs hiding in a warehouse somewhere.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I don't agree with anything written in the OP.

1. Handhelds are for gaming. Big games, small games, great games, but hopefully not shitty games. It's great to know he use to be an open minded gamer, maybe one Mr. Eclectic gamer can return to his roots.

2. Price is a factor in gaming but there isn't this magic number that makes things fly off shelves. Consumer decision is a complicated mess. $250 is a good price point for this system and the memory cards are as low as $20, not to mention it hasn't been hard getting a bundle since launch. $600 apple products aren't feeling any heat for their lack of sales by mortal men. Ever since Nintendo dropped the 3DS price the market has been overly demanding and would gladly eat a company out of house and home if they were to get their way. The market needs to calm down and stop demanding the unreasonable.

I'll sum up the rest with a segment I like to call....

LOGIC TIME (LOLOLOL)

Handhelds are a dying market ---> Mobile devices are all the rage!

The number 1 product on the market ----> Is the only successful product!

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Ajescent said:
UncleScrooge said:
We need to find some sort of balance between "Vita is doomed!" and "The Vita is totally fine". Obviously the Vita is not fine and in a lot of trouble (40k units a week is below Gamecube level) but calling doom on every occasion is pretty stupid as well... you can't discuss this in a civil manner without getting very emotional responses.

Capn' Jack tried to give one when he said it was Acceptable but the doomsayers poo poo'd him.

Well, that's because acceptable isn't really negative enough.

Really, Vita seems to be more in the realm of "In a coma, but still has a decent chance to come out of it."

It's not a situation your happy about, but the doctor isn't advising you to consider pulling the plug either.