By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita is doomed, Sony doesn't get gaming, PSP/PS3 losing money

Tagged games:

Squilliam said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

The ps3 has always been the better value. People wanted it all along, after all it's out selling the other home console all year world wide.  Exactly how was selling you a machine worth 800 for 600 greedy? Or taking losses on it for over 3 years? I swear the crap people come up with.

I think people forgot that the "tickel me elo phrase of kinect is what help MS keep out of a distant 3rd.  But that time is over for them now.

A good company sells a $400 machine for $600 or an $800 machine for $1000 and not the other way around.

Sony would have loved to have had their own 'tickle me elmo' with the associated $2B+ of revenue.

I love Sony so much that I decided to not buying their consoles since I don't want them to lose money. Buying their wares is like stealing from them.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
You shoot a lame horse not a dead one. That is the reason why people aren't talking about how badly the Vita is doing. Anyway one thing to keep in mind is that it isn't going to get any easier for the Vita given the fact that we've got some wicked cheap tablets like the Nexus 7 and new Apple hardware every year along with the equivalent Androids. Apple controls the portable media market, Nintendo controls the portable games market and whatever is left is Vita sales.

I'd argue that there is room for the Vita AND the 3DS, the problem is that the Vita hasn't provided enough games that people want to play... yet. COD, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed may change that. All three plus a price but and bundling could give it the shot of adrenaline to the heart it needs, at least in the West. (For Japan it wil need to bag some big name franchises there)

d21lewis said:

I don't know about you guys but this was the first game I saw running on the 3DS.  This and Pilotwings running side by side on demo models:

Anyway, I was impressed. Aside from the backgrounds (which MvC3 on the Vita sacrificed as well), it was a graphically identical port of one of my favorite HD titles.

I'm not sure what people thought when they saw it,  but what I can say is that a lot of people who try to judge graphics don't know much about them to begin with.

curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:
You shoot a lame horse not a dead one. That is the reason why people aren't talking about how badly the Vita is doing. Anyway one thing to keep in mind is that it isn't going to get any easier for the Vita given the fact that we've got some wicked cheap tablets like the Nexus 7 and new Apple hardware every year along with the equivalent Androids. Apple controls the portable media market, Nintendo controls the portable games market and whatever is left is Vita sales.

I'd argue that there is room for the Vita AND the 3DS, the problem is that the Vita hasn't provided enough games that people want to play... yet. COD, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed may change that. All three plus a price but and bundling could give it the shot of adrenaline to the heart it needs, at least in the West. (For Japan it wil need to bag some big name franchises there)

The portable game market has changed and there are a lot more platforms competiting for the attention of both developers and potential customers. It is a much more crowded market and there is less room for a console like the PSP than when the PSP was released. If Nintendo struggled and had to cut the price then what can Sony do, they aren't even the dominant player in this niche.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:

The portable game market has changed and there are a lot more platforms competiting for the attention of both developers and potential customers. It is a much more crowded market and there is less room for a console like the PSP than when the PSP was released. If Nintendo struggled and had to cut the price then what can Sony do, they aren't even the dominant player in this niche.

The portable market is definitely more crowded now, but Vita does have the potential to do things the others can't with its powerful graphics and dual analogue sticks. (Neither is a selling point to me, but the hardcore seem addicted to both) There is a niche for it I believe, but that niche demands better games than the Vita currently has, and a cheaper price point.

Once Sony fixes both problems, it will sell. Not like the DS or 3DS, but enough to be successful.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:
curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:

The portable market is definitely more crowded now, but Vita does have the potential to do things the others can't with its powerful graphics and dual analogue sticks. (Neither is a selling point to me, but the hardcore seem addicted to both) There is a niche for it I believe, but that niche demands better games than the Vita currently has, and a cheaper price point.

Once Sony fixes both problems, it will sell. Not like the DS or 3DS, but enough to be successful.

What if someone comes out with a good game attachment for the iPhone/iTouch? They could effectively kill the Vita market with what is essentially a $50 add-on. The Vita can't afford to sell a mediocre quantity, the eco-system has expensive games and to fund them you need a larger userbase than what is currently projected for the next 12 months. Can they afford to cut the price? They have a very expensive PS4 launch coming up.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:
curl-6 said:
Squilliam said:

What if someone comes out with a good game attachment for the iPhone/iTouch? They could effectively kill the Vita market with what is essentially a $50 add-on. The Vita can't afford to sell a mediocre quantity, the eco-system has expensive games and to fund them you need a larger userbase than what is currently projected for the next 12 months. Can they afford to cut the price? They have a very expensive PS4 launch coming up.

How would you incorporate the high-budget-high-price gaming paradigm into the 99c app paradigm of the iPhone/Pad/Touch?

Some of the bigger games coming have the potential to expand the ecosystem instead themselves of just selling to the established userbase. (Out of curiosity, what are Sony's projection for the Vita for the next 12 months?)

And I strongly suspect the PS4 won't be arriving until 2014 given Sony's situation. They'll want to ride the PS3 as long as possible.

Squilliam said:

Non-standard hardware is generally a problem for a platform but would be a particularly large problem for the mobile game market ...

If a publisher is targeting ios, android, windows 8, and/or Blackberry OS to ensure that their game has the largest potential market and Apple releases a new add-on for the iPhone it will probably not be targeted. After all, if 10% of users iPhone users buy the device there will only be 1.25% of potential customers who have the device because Apple only represents 12.5% of the market.

Essentially, this is why I think Sony missed a huge opportunity with the Vita. Had the Vita released in multiple SKUs (a dedicated handheld priced competitively against the 3DS and iPod, a 7-inch gaming tablet in the $250 to $300 range, and/or a smartphone) each based on android OS they could have merged dedicated handheld and mobile gaming on a platform that would get significant support for its features.