By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita is doomed, Sony doesn't get gaming, PSP/PS3 losing money

Tagged games:

MDMAlliance said:
Chark said:

Happy Squirriel said:

The main complaint I hear about the Vita is its cost, just like it was for the 3DS at first, so once they remove this barrier its sales should surge.

I thought the main complaint about the 3DS was its lack of games or even its small graphical jump from the DS? I didn't even know price was an issue until it was cut. Price was obviously important in hind sight since they were selling it for a large profit margin and it would have been the same price as the Vita (except for $20 memory cards). 

Bolded part... You can't be serious, can you?   I doubt people think the graphical jump is small between the DS and the 3DS.   The only people I see saying that are people who don't own one of the two or are sony/microsoft fanboys trying to downplay the 3DS.

Not trying to be offensive but I'm reffering to what people were saying at the time. It also ties into people confusing the 3DS for the DS, but that's mostly a name and consumer marketing issue. For me personally I remember playing Mario 64 on DS early in its life cycle and the 3DS had Zelda OoT as one of its early titles, another Nintendo 64 title. It doesn't quite scream to me as a very big jump, but things became more apparent once 3DS started getting some better titles on it like Resident Evil Revelations that showcased its capabilities over the DS more clearly.

There are still people who don't think its the biggest of jumps, as right or as wrong as they may be, the point was that I don't remember price being an issue until after the cut and I was just pointing out some example of debates I had early in the 3DS's life. Those were some of the things I remember...well you know, aside from some design issues like the screen touching and hinges but those aren't the big ones.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
Chark said:
MDMAlliance said:
Chark said:

Happy Squirriel said:

The main complaint I hear about the Vita is its cost, just like it was for the 3DS at first, so once they remove this barrier its sales should surge.

I thought the main complaint about the 3DS was its lack of games or even its small graphical jump from the DS? I didn't even know price was an issue until it was cut. Price was obviously important in hind sight since they were selling it for a large profit margin and it would have been the same price as the Vita (except for $20 memory cards). 

Bolded part... You can't be serious, can you?   I doubt people think the graphical jump is small between the DS and the 3DS.   The only people I see saying that are people who don't own one of the two or are sony/microsoft fanboys trying to downplay the 3DS.

Not trying to be offensive but I'm reffering to what people were saying at the time. It also ties into people confusing the 3DS for the DS, but that's mostly a name and consumer marketing issue. For me personally I remember playing Mario 64 on DS early in its life cycle and the 3DS had Zelda OoT as one of its early titles, another Nintendo 64 title. It doesn't quite scream to me as a very big jump, but things became more apparent once 3DS started getting some better titles on it like Resident Evil Revelations that showcased its capabilities over the DS more clearly.

There are still people who don't think its the biggest of jumps, as right or as wrong as they may be, the point was that I don't remember price being an issue until after the cut and I was just pointing out some example of debates I had early in the 3DS's life. Those were some of the things I remember...well you know, aside from some design issues like the screen touching and hinges but those aren't the big ones.

I see what you're saying now, but personally I think the jump even with Mario 64 on the DS and OoT 3D is pretty big.  However, I would say a lot of it has to do with realizing what exactly is going on with the graphics.  OoT you actually have shadows and reflections off of surfaces in the game, and the textures were also much nicer if you could see past the art style they put it in.  I think even in terms of looking at the numbers it can be clearly said that the jump is pretty big.  There's a lot more power stuffed into the 3DS (like 10x as much) and its power system is more efficient and hardware is more modern.  I find it hard to say that it is in any way a small jump looking at it now.  

I do see how there are people who don't/can't see that, though. 

article sounds about right

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

NO THATS JUST ISNT TRUE !!!!!

curl-6 said:
HappySqurriel said:

As for rumblings, I have heard as many rumours for the PS4 as I have heard for the XBox 720, and I would personally be surprised if they don't both release in 2013

Hasn't there actually been a development kit shown of the 720, which devs have supposedly had for a while now? I don't recall anything of this nature happening for the PS4.

And as for the VIta, I'd say another factor in its favour is that highly priced products can create a perception of them as a premium product, (something Sony products already tend to be seen as) which means that when it does drop price it could be seen as "wow, we get a premium product for just $200!" and sales explode. The PS3, for example, benefitted from this. (And still does)

That's not really the general perception of any Sony products in recent times. The glory days of saying "I own a Sony Bravia" are well and truely over. The PSP had an extremely premium feel to it upon release and was highly sought after in the UK. The PSV didn't enjoy that feel good atmosphere around it of sleek priceyness. You have to take into account people are used to premium products of that nature nowadays with Apple and the only company people are willing to pay over the odds for them are Apple on a general level.

They priced themselves out of the market with the PS3, too greedy, too elite. Most people saw throuh it and proceeded to vomit. Not turning this all fanboy here but the PS3 was never seen as a premium product in absolute terms like the PSP was. The PS3 was only seen as having higher value than the Xbox 360 so that's a relative premium and mostly due to including and bluray drive.

I think it's just an illusion created by the aggregate total number of dellusional PS3 fanboys in the early years, like a phantom of bad energy in regards to the premium image. Certainly not a positive premium image to people on the fence.

I think now, Sony has even lost that. Even the most rabbid of fanboy has basically given up - and grown up. Then we have the economy which isn't helping. Thinking about it, I think it almost works the opposite (kinda improptu post) The Xbox 360 and Microsoft as a whole is seen as cheap, good value and gets the job done in a kind of bare metal completely non mystical non magical way. That's what people want out of their games consoles now in terms of image IMO.

Sony can't serve up premium and they can't serve up value. Let's face it, have they ever served up anything that was noteworthy for being good value?

Around the Network
fillet said:
curl-6 said:
HappySqurriel said:

As for rumblings, I have heard as many rumours for the PS4 as I have heard for the XBox 720, and I would personally be surprised if they don't both release in 2013

Hasn't there actually been a development kit shown of the 720, which devs have supposedly had for a while now? I don't recall anything of this nature happening for the PS4.

And as for the VIta, I'd say another factor in its favour is that highly priced products can create a perception of them as a premium product, (something Sony products already tend to be seen as) which means that when it does drop price it could be seen as "wow, we get a premium product for just $200!" and sales explode. The PS3, for example, benefitted from this. (And still does)

That's not really the general perception of any Sony products in recent times. The glory days of saying "I own a Sony Bravia" are well and truely over. The PSP had an extremely premium feel to it upon release and was highly sought after in the UK. The PSV didn't enjoy that feel good atmosphere around it of sleek priceyness. You have to take into account people are used to premium products of that nature nowadays with Apple and the only company people are willing to pay over the odds for them are Apple on a general level.

They priced themselves out of the market with the PS3, too greedy, too elite. Most people saw throuh it and proceeded to vomit. Not turning this all fanboy here but the PS3 was never seen as a premium product in absolute terms like the PSP was. The PS3 was only seen as having higher value than the Xbox 360 so that's a relative premium and mostly due to including and bluray drive.

I think it's just an illusion created by the aggregate total number of dellusional PS3 fanboys in the early years, like a phantom of bad energy in regards to the premium image. Certainly not a positive premium image to people on the fence.

I think now, Sony has even lost that. Even the most rabbid of fanboy has basically given up - and grown up. Then we have the economy which isn't helping. Thinking about it, I think it almost works the opposite (kinda improptu post) The Xbox 360 and Microsoft as a whole is seen as cheap, good value and gets the job done in a kind of bare metal completely non mystical non magical way. That's what people want out of their games consoles now in terms of image IMO.

Sony can't serve up premium and they can't serve up value. Let's face it, have they ever served up anything that was noteworthy for being good value?

Really? Sony still makes the best longest lasting products out there. I've owned two Samsung tv's  that both popped in their first few months, and a Sony Brava thats still running strong. I don't even get where people like you come up with this fud.  The ps3 has always been the better value. People wanted it all along, after all it's out selling the other home console all year world wide. I think people forgot that the "tickel me elo phrase of kinect is what help MS keep out of a distant 3rd.  But that time is over for them now. Exactly how was selling you a machine worth 800 for 600 greedy? Or taking losses on it for over 3 years? I swear the crap people come up with.

You shoot a lame horse not a dead one. That is the reason why people aren't talking about how badly the Vita is doing. Anyway one thing to keep in mind is that it isn't going to get any easier for the Vita given the fact that we've got some wicked cheap tablets like the Nexus 7 and new Apple hardware every year along with the equivalent Androids. Apple controls the portable media market, Nintendo controls the portable games market and whatever is left is Vita sales.

Tease.

Mmmfishtacos said:

The ps3 has always been the better value. People wanted it all along, after all it's out selling the other home console all year world wide.  Exactly how was selling you a machine worth 800 for 600 greedy? Or taking losses on it for over 3 years? I swear the crap people come up with.

I think people forgot that the "tickel me elo phrase of kinect is what help MS keep out of a distant 3rd.  But that time is over for them now.

A good company sells a $400 machine for $600 or an $800 machine for $1000 and not the other way around.

Sony would have loved to have had their own 'tickle me elmo' with the associated $2B+ of revenue.

Tease.

Fusioncode said:

Sony did plenty to make the PS1 and PS2 a success.

1. Strong reach to 3rd partys, it made the PS1 a huge successs. Sony tried very hard to get as many 3rd party titles on the system as they could.

2. Marketing to a more adult audience. Before the Playstation came out, mostly just kids played videogames. All of a sudden teenagers and adults were playing it too.

3. Cheap price, Sony kept the PS1 cheaper than either of it's competitors.

4. Making the PS2 more of a multimedia console, now people who weren't even interested in gaming were buying PS2s simply for DVDs.

You sound exactly like the gameoverthinker, saying Sony never knew what they were doing and became successful by accident. No, they did a lot of right and made plenty of innovative decisions. If they didn't know what they were doing the gaming would still be exclusive to nerdy kids sitting in their rooms. Just because Sony has made some very bad decisions recently doesn't mean they have NEVER understood gaming.

1. Sony had no choice in this manner. They did not have any viable 1st party studios at the time (they bought out places like Psygnosis afterwards). And as stated, their success in this part was due to the poorness of the market leaders at the time, who had a stranglehold in third party development terms. It could hardly be called innovative.

2. Sega already did this. Because of Nintendo's strict policy on things such as nudity, religious symbols and sexual themes, it was once again the demands of third parties that Sony relax such regulations. Not innovative, and if it was, credit would be to the third parties...

3. From where I was, the N64 was cheaper than the PS1. The only problem was that it was released too late to compete (March 1997 in my area).

4. Nintendo were talking about convergence of home consoles with other media hardware in the days of the SNES, when Sony was making sound chips for them. The only difference is that Nintendo didn't have the leverage to appeal such a concept to the Audio and Motion Picture Industries. Sony did.

After the CD-i debacle however, Nintendo shifted policies, deciding to take a less liberal view towards hardware convergence and more towards holding on to their Intellectual Property.

Once again, the broader market appeal came not from Sony, but the ones who were able to innovate on a generation of hardware that offered things that appealed more to the mass market (such as 3D, and the ability to use Full motion video). That honour belongs to companies such as Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco, etc. The rest was stuff that Sony learned from Nintendo during development phase of the "Play Station" (the CD addon). 

MDMAlliance said:
Chark said:
MDMAlliance said:
Chark said:

Happy Squirriel said:

I see what you're saying now, but personally I think the jump even with Mario 64 on the DS and OoT 3D is pretty big.  However, I would say a lot of it has to do with realizing what exactly is going on with the graphics.  OoT you actually have shadows and reflections off of surfaces in the game, and the textures were also much nicer if you could see past the art style they put it in.  I think even in terms of looking at the numbers it can be clearly said that the jump is pretty big.  There's a lot more power stuffed into the 3DS (like 10x as much) and its power system is more efficient and hardware is more modern.  I find it hard to say that it is in any way a small jump looking at it now.  

I do see how there are people who don't/can't see that, though. 

I don't know about you guys but this was the first game I saw running on the 3DS.  This and Pilotwings running side by side on demo models:

Anyway, I was impressed. Aside from the backgrounds (which MvC3 on the Vita sacrificed as well), it was a graphically identical port of one of my favorite HD titles.