By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you feel that people on welfare and unemployed are lazy and shouldn't vote, vote Republican...

d21lewis said:
Kasz216 said:

Don't quote me... but I think what she needs is disability, not welfare.

I think you're right but.......Nobody tells d21 what to do! 

Well and to be fair disability is a TYPE of welfare but....

Either way, she should apply for disability, and bring her husband...

and like, NOT hide anything.  Since your average disability worker is basically trained to be a dick and reject before they accept because of the large amounts of fake/exagerrated cases they get/budgets never being good enough/once your in, your basically in.

Around the Network

There have always been attempts to curb votes on the population, but the republicans of late have been very active in attempting to reduce voter turnout through creating policy making it more difficult to register to vote. The lower socio-economic class is far more likely to vote democrat and policy can be written to discourage this group. Be it through something that makes is cost more to register, reduce active attempts to register more people, make the process take longer, etc.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I don't know if the OP's intent was for us to debate on voter ID laws specifically, but I disagree with most of them. I understand the premise of wanting ID laws, and if we had a logical way to do it that didn't fall on partisan beliefs, I would agree with having them. However, it's clear Republicans are using it to their advantage, and there simply is not enough evidence of "widespread" voter fraud that would justify these laws when so many could be disenfranchised from voting. If there was a way to get everyone ID in time before the election for free, I'd be for it.

Tigerlure said:
I don't know if the OP's intent was for us to debate on voter ID laws specifically, but I disagree with most of them. I understand the premise of wanting ID laws, and if we had a logical way to do it that didn't fall on partisan beliefs, I would agree with having them. However, it's clear Republicans are using it to their advantage, and there simply is not enough evidence of "widespread" voter fraud that would justify these laws when so many could be disenfranchised from voting. If there was a way to get everyone ID in time before the election for free, I'd be for it.

The OP was about the subject header, on how the GOP's views are one where those on welfare and unemployed are lazy and they would rather they not vote.

richardhutnik said:
Tigerlure said:

The OP was about the subject header, on how the GOP's views are one where those on welfare and unemployed are lazy and they would rather they not vote.

Then on that point, it's pretty well known that the GOP views them as lazy, and those who are unemployed should quit drawing unemployment benefits and magically find a job. I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to take their voting rights away. After all, they've managed to go after the elderly and minorities already.

This was an interesting article I found on voter fraud.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/gop-voter-id-data-voter_n_1773142.html

Around the Network
Tigerlure said:
richardhutnik said:
Tigerlure said:

Then on that point, it's pretty well known that the GOP views them as lazy, and those who are unemployed should quit drawing unemployment benefits and magically find a job. I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to take their voting rights away. After all, they've managed to go after the elderly and minorities already.

This was an interesting article I found on voter fraud.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/gop-voter-id-data-voter_n_1773142.html

That isn't a fair characterization at all ...

In Canada we've recently began reforming the employment insurance and the temporary foreign worker programs. The reason for this is simple, the maritimes are a region of the country with perpetually high unemployment and yet there are such large labour shortages that companies are constantly applying for temporary foreign worker visas. The temporary foreign worker program was designed around regions in Canada that have massive labour shortages (read: very low unemployment), and one of the key characteristics of it was that companies had to demonstrate that they were offering a competitive wage and were unable to find workers. The problem in the maritimes was that many of the people on EI earned nearly as much from EI as they would from these jobs, and they knew that they could find fisheries to hire them for 12 months after EI ran out, so there was no incentive to work.

It isn't necessarily "laziness" that is the problem, but that many welfare and employment insurance programs are poorly designed to motivate people to get back to work.

Tigerlure said:
richardhutnik said:
Tigerlure said:

There is also an issue with there being low voter turnout, because people generally aren't motivated to vote.  There was talk of moving voting to weekend and relying on absentee voting (this is also subject to fraud but not looked into) to get more people to vote.  They run advertising to motivate people to vote to.  But, despite this, there is arguing that voter fraud is massive.  Next up, I hear there are reports that there may be fraud in people filing their taxes, and also trying to be part of jury duty too much or onto jury duty for vendetta reasons against the system (didn't you hear there are numbers involved who are out to create hung juries to set criminals free?).

HappySqurriel said:

It isn't necessarily "laziness" that is the problem, but that many welfare and employment insurance programs are poorly designed to motivate people to get back to work.

You know what has an amazing ability to get people back to work?  Offering decent paying jobs, with sufficient benefits, stability, that match with corresponding skills of people, and also have growth potential and a chance to remain viable.  Do this, and you will find people will go back to work.

But, if you have an environment where you do a national hiring day, and hire 60,000 people, and over 1 million apply, it is hard to try to motivate people back to work.  Same with only offering sporatic hours and also demanding they be available on call all the time kind of works against getting a sufficient pool.  Also, if there aren't jobs available, no amount of motivation is going to get people to do things that don't exist.  Trust me on this, working years for no pay, to try to create professional work, gets old.

richardhutnik said:
Tigerlure said:
richardhutnik said:
Tigerlure said:

There is also an issue with there being low voter turnout, because people generally aren't motivated to vote.  There was talk of moving voting to weekend and relying on absentee voting (this is also subject to fraud but not looked into) to get more people to vote.  They run advertising to motivate people to vote to.  But, despite this, there is arguing that voter fraud is massive.  Next up, I hear there are reports that there may be fraud in people filing their taxes, and also trying to be part of jury duty too much or onto jury duty for vendetta reasons against the system (didn't you hear there are numbers involved who are out to create hung juries to set criminals free?).

There most certaintly is fraud when people file there taxes.  Which is why we have filing requirements.... also problems with juries in jury duty...

which is why we have pretty strict interviews of potential jurors to search for bias.

It's a shame we don't have that for voting.  Or rather, some states don't, and people want to label such measures as racist.

Someone has to be INCREDIBLY stupid to be caught comitting voter fraud.

Double or Triple voting is easy, because there is no national voter list.  Only state voter lists... and nobody is looking for them.

Nobody is checking voting records vs people who are in the hospital or out of town.

Nobody gets confimration of their voting, so people who didn't vote, don't know that someone else voted for them.

I don't think people even do much checking on if people live where they say... (or really exist if you do it the right way.)

Really the only way's to catch voter fraud is if somebody very obviously gives themselves away, or if there are more registered votes then voters. (Which actually does happen.)

Saying there aren't many cases of people committing voter fraud isn't really a valid arguement, because there really aren't tools to catch many people of voter fraud.

Didn't minority voter turnout increase after ID laws in Indiana and Georgia?