By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you feel that people on welfare and unemployed are lazy and shouldn't vote, vote Republican...

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
The republicans are trying to stop them from voting, with these stringent, classist ID laws.

The ACLU is pouncing on the one in PA, but we need more action on the matter.

Ok come on now.  They aren't classist. 

They're just common sense.

I mean... I think we should put as much stringency on helping to decide the fate of the country as we do opening a bank account, cashing a check or getting a library card.

Honestly, it's a miracle anyone can function in todays society WITHOUT a photo ID.

Considering you need one for basically every single legitamite way of getting money outside of someobody with a photo ID giving it to you.

The head of the republican party in Pennsylvania and Florida both said that the intention of the voter ID laws is to help Romney win.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
The republicans are trying to stop them from voting, with these stringent, classist ID laws.

I mean... I think we should put as much stringency on helping to decide the fate of the country as we do opening a bank account, cashing a check or getting a library card.

Honestly, it's a miracle anyone can function in todays society WITHOUT a photo ID.

Considering you need one for basically every single legitamite way of getting money outside of someobody with a photo ID giving it to you.

The head of the republican party in Pennsylvania and Florida both said that the intention of the voter ID laws is to help Romney win.

Exactly. Why do you think they're pushing for them in swing states?

Edit: okay, i'm getting a little too angry here. I stand by my point that these laws have no valid purpose, however.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

They're strictly classist, they serve no other function but to try to disenfranchise traditionally-democratic constituencies. The voter ID laws are in place to discourage in-person voter fraud, which is so rare as to be statistically insignficant (compared to other points of voter fraud, which are also statistically insignficant). There are 600,000 registered-voter Pennsylvanians who are being disenfranchised by this law, and there sure as HELL aren't 600k fraudulent votes being cast. I'd doubt 6000. In a time when the state of PA is cutting its budget to the bone, this law is costing the state millions to advertise and implement.

It's a boondoggle to strike at a problem that doesn't exist and fire up rednecks who think this actually is a problem, and to try to bar lower-class voters. It exists only for political reasons, and is classist and unconstitutional.

Except... none of that is true.   First off.... see the 2008 Supreme court ruling.

Secondly, from the studies i've seen where they look at who would be hurt...

it's usually republicans.  Afterall, those most likely to not have IDs, outside of illegal immigrants, who can't vote... are the old.   Who are conservatives more often then not, and no longer have an idea to vote.   Or at least the ones who tend to study who would vote. 

Instead they usually just see who doesn't have an ID and then claim those people will be disenfranchised, usually not even checking to see if they could vote.  Much like the one in Pennsylvania did.  It just looked at who didn't have an ID.

As for voter fraud.  It's not exactly an easy thing to check afterall.   How would you?  Say you don't plan to vote, and I vote for you...  You don't get a reminder saying you voted for "Space Lizards" or anything.

It's a very easy crime to get away with.

Besides if anything, I'd call democrats against voter ID laws as the partisan ones... treating a vote for president as if it was a vote for American Idol.  If they really cared they'd be pushing for more people getting Voter IDs.

I mean... how Right Wing could it be?

Voter ID laws are recommened and supported by
Jimmy Carter. The voter ID boom started because of a joint commission co-chaired by him... and he still supports voter ID laws.  It's Democrats who have moved away from the issue.  They went from wanting free government ids handed out by the federal government, to no voter ID laws at all.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

They're strictly classist, they serve no other function but to try to disenfranchise traditionally-democratic constituencies. The voter ID laws are in place to discourage in-person voter fraud, which is so rare as to be statistically insignficant (compared to other points of voter fraud, which are also statistically insignficant). There are 600,000 registered-voter Pennsylvanians who are being disenfranchised by this law, and there sure as HELL aren't 600k fraudulent votes being cast. I'd doubt 6000. In a time when the state of PA is cutting its budget to the bone, this law is costing the state millions to advertise and implement. Why is it suddenly a priority over things like education or food stamps?

It's a boondoggle to strike at a problem that doesn't exist and fire up rednecks who think this actually is a problem, and to try to bar lower-class voters. It exists only for political reasons, and is classist and unconstitutional.

i could have voted as my brother in law, in Missouri's primary on tuesday. all i needed was a piece of mail the state sent him. there are other way to do it, but that was one of the easiest ways. 

and he's a democrat, if i really wanted to i could vote as any number of people with relative ease.

and your 600,000 number is complete bullshit and you know it. its debunked and not grounded in any form of reality.

Flanneryaug said:
I honestly have no idea what Mitt Romney is talking about with this argument. The waivers don't allow states to lower their work requirements. Also, dont Republicans want more things moved to the states?

they did all the way until obama did something that could be attacked.  i guess the bottom line is their top priority is to be against anything obama does.  trying to actually accomplish anything has become a secondary (and generally ignored) goal.

and yes, democrates are just as bad as republicans on this. 

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't like it when people start talking politics because the vast majority of people who talk about it don't know what they're talking about. This is anywhere I've seen it, really. People may seem like they know, but the people who blame Obama for this and that or blame any president for A B C and D and say they should be impeached tend to not know the role of the president and the power he holds over what actually happens in the political world. The president doesn't snap his fingers and suddenly a decision can be made. There's not really much a president can do without going through a lot of others. Sometimes a president's decision may be altered because Congress doesn't like it and wants to change it. This is why I don't like all the Obama hating.

This issue is no different, and the issues behind it are way more complex than it seems and 99% of you cannot make better decisions because most of you guys have no idea what a single decision's weight on politics can be. There's also almost no way out of corruption in politics due to the fact that some of the ONLY ways to make it is by making special deals with certain groups of lobbyists. I'm not saying we shouldn't say anything, but nearly all the comments I see take it too far and is not in any way constructive.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

They're strictly classist, they serve no other function but to try to disenfranchise traditionally-democratic constituencies. The voter ID laws are in place to discourage in-person voter fraud, which is so rare as to be statistically insignficant (compared to other points of voter fraud, which are also statistically insignficant). There are 600,000 registered-voter Pennsylvanians who are being disenfranchised by this law, and there sure as HELL aren't 600k fraudulent votes being cast. I'd doubt 6000. In a time when the state of PA is cutting its budget to the bone, this law is costing the state millions to advertise and implement.

Except... none of that is true.   First off.... see the 2008 Supreme court ruling.

it's usually republicans.  Afterall, those most likely to not have IDs, outside of illegal immigrants, who can't vote... are the old.   Who are conservatives more often then not, and no longer have an idea to vote.   Or at least the ones who tend to study who would vote. 

Instead they usually just see who doesn't have an ID and then claim those people will be disenfranchised, usually not even checking to see if they could vote.  Much like the one in Pennsylvania did.  It just looked at who didn't have an ID.

As for voter fraud.  It's not exactly an easy thing to check afterall.   How would you?  Say you don't plan to vote, and I vote for you...  You don't get a reminder saying you voted for "Space Lizards" or anything.

Besides if anything, I'd call democrats against voter ID laws as the partisan ones... treating a vote for president as if it was a vote for American Idol.  If they really cared they'd be pushing for more people getting Voter IDs.

Jimmy Carter. The voter ID boom started because of a joint commission co-chaired by him... and he still supports voter ID laws.  It's Democrats who have moved away from the issue.  They went from wanting free government ids handed out by the federal government, to no voter ID laws at all.

So if Americans want to vote they register for id's and pay a fee.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

They're strictly classist, they serve no other function but to try to disenfranchise traditionally-democratic constituencies. The voter ID laws are in place to discourage in-person voter fraud, which is so rare as to be statistically insignficant (compared to other points of voter fraud, which are also statistically insignficant). There are 600,000 registered-voter Pennsylvanians who are being disenfranchised by this law, and there sure as HELL aren't 600k fraudulent votes being cast. I'd doubt 6000. In a time when the state of PA is cutting its budget to the bone, this law is costing the state millions to advertise and implement. Why is it suddenly a priority over things like education or food stamps?

i could have voted as my brother in law, in Missouri's primary on tuesday. all i needed was a piece of mail the state sent him. there are other way to do it, but that was one of the easiest ways. 

and he's a democrat, if i really wanted to i could vote as any number of people with relative ease.

and your 600,000 number is complete bullshit and you know it. its debunked and not grounded in any form of reality.

It's easily verifiable. Cross-reference registered voter lists versus PennDOT.

Voter fraud is statistically insignificant, and this is a political boondoggle.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

To be honest - how many frauds to you expect to prevent with this ?

And your analysis seems quite off thh : http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/should-photo-id-be-required-to-vote/voter-id-laws-disenfranchise-millions

SnakeDrake said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

So if Americans want to vote they register for id's and pay a fee.

Well in most states they give out free government Ids.

Though for those that don't... you basically need an ID if you want to exist in society.

You need a photo ID or Birth certificate to do pretty much anything in this country.

If you don't have a government issued photo ID, you can't have a bank account.

And you can't cash checks... without ID.

And you can't be paid legally unless it's with a check. (So the government makes sure it gets it's due.)

Hell in most states you can't even get welfare without a government ID to prevent welfare fraud.  (Which is VERY prevelent... the main difference between it and voter fraud is... the government looks a lot harder for welfare fraud because it costs them more.)

The ones that don't need a voter ID, require a Social Security card or Birth Certificate, which tends to cost you money anyway.

It's nearly impossible to live a legitamite life in this country without having a government issued ID at some point in time... and if you don't, you've likely been depending soley on someone else to exist, who did have an ID.

Everyone should have an ID... and hell even in the states that charge... it's a hell of a lot cheaper then the new health insurance mandate will be.