By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Suda 51: Third party Wii games aren't selling

Bodhesatva said:

Note that my argument was about Japan: SMG is selling faster than SMS there, but slower than SM64, NSMB, SMB3, SMB2, SMB1, and Super Mario Land, according to Famitsu. Resident Evil 4's LTD total is largely the work of strong EU/US sales; its sales in Japan are fine, but not spectacular the way they are in the other regions. RE:UC is the single example I can think of that really is selling notably better than one might expect. On the other side are bombs such as SC: Legends, NiGHTs, and No More Heroes. Lukewarm-at-best titles like Chocobo's Dungeon and

The figures you give are worldwide, and I specifically tried to divide US/EU (where "hardcore" games are selling well) and Japan (not so much). Super Mario Galaxy is the best example of this: in fact -- while it's selling worse than every Super Mario platformer ever save Sunshine in Japan, it's selling better than any Mario since SMB3 in America and I expect better than even SMB3 in the EU.

In summary: "hardcore" games are doing fine in the EU/US on the Wii. They are not in Japan. Here are the sales of Super Mario Galaxy compared to Super Mario 64 there -- SM64 is demolishing it:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii®2=Japan&game2=Super+Mario+64+-+N64®3=All&game3=&weeks=100 

yeah i really agree with you i hope that changes though

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Somehow, I don't even think the game is that great to warrant such buzz and hype.

Mario 64 was a launch title in for the 64, you can't compare it's sales trends. it sold 1.9 or so million lifetime in Japan, Galaxy will come near to that(it will take a much larger userbase though)

You can't compare anything to the original Mario's, they are 2d(which is prefered in Japan) and were bundled in many cases.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

totalwar23 said:
Somehow, I don't even think the game is that great to warrant such buzz and hype.

it has two reviews so far and the scores it has gotten make it that great of a game to warrent such hype

I think there's also quite a big difference in expectation between SM64 and SMG. SM64 was the first game to really showcase the shift from 2d to 3d graphics and gameplay, and truly revolutionalized the 3d generations. SMG is great but I see it more as an evolution rather than a revolution like SM64.

Plus, launch title for the N64 when there were TINY number of games available vs 1 yr after with much more options makes it hard to compare. Plus, it has been wha? 11 yrs now? The market in Japan has just completely changed.

I wouldn't say SMG is underperforming but it can definitely sell a bit better IMO. Still good sales regardless however.

Around the Network

^the sales are very good but some people say its underperforming considering the userbase

tokilamockingbrd said:
Mario 64 was a launch title in for the 64, you can't compare it's sales trends. it sold 1.9 or so million lifetime in Japan, Galaxy will come near to that(it will take a much larger userbase though)

You can't compare anything to the original Mario's, they are 2d(which is prefered in Japan) and were bundled in many cases.

We can explain it away all we want. We can explain anything away.

It doesn't change the fact that NiGHTs, Soul Calibur: Legends, No More Heroes, Red Steel, Dewy's Adventure, and Elebits bombed hard in Japan; it doesn't change the fact that Chocobo's Dungeon is underperforming, and Super Mario Galaxy is the worst selling Mario platformer other than Sunshine; it doesn't change the fact that Zelda:TP disappointed; and even RE4/RE:UC, the only "hardcore" third party games that have performed acceptably, have only done just that in Japan, and done slightly better than one might expect given sales expectations (as opposed to US/EU, where they seem to be demolishing those expectations). 

There are excuses for all of these, but that's precisely what they are: excuses. Whatever the reason is, "hardcore" games aren't selling well in Japan on the Wii, with almost no exception. It strikes me very much like someone trying to explain to me why comparing Dynasty Warrior 6's sales to 5's isn't fair, why Gundam Musou shouldn't be compared to previous Gundam games (despite Namco's 2 million projected sales), why Hot Shots Golf 5 hasn't performed like previous Hot Shot Golf games have, and so on. Sure there are always reasons, but the fact is that sales are down, period. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Damn those Japan sales are bad. I hadn't even realized the game was released there yet.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think the major reason is that Japanese taste has change and developer still have not figured out what they want now. Before rpg used to be really big in japan but now other then pokemon, final fantasy and dragon quest there isn't much that sells well. Even all those three franchises don't sell as much as past iterations. Nintendo has done pretty well coming up with great new ip but other developers keeps doing the same old thing all over again with just better graphics, physics and AI and that's why they are failing.

akuma587 said:
Damn those Japan sales are bad. I hadn't even realized the game was released there yet.

No More Heroes is the best selling Suda51 game ever in Japan, including Killer7 on the PS2 (when the PS2 had an install base of 12m+)

Still... 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">