By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U, 3DS, my thoughts...

What do you think?

Hmmm... you make sense for once 5 14.71%

PSwii60? I don't believe a word you say 5 14.71%

I'd believe this if WiiBox3 wrote this 0 0%

This is but an elaborate spam 10 29.41%

This is common knowledge.... 9 26.47%

Nind000000000000med!!1 5 14.71%

Total:34
Kenology said:
wfz said:

You lost me when you called Super Mario 3D Land a rushed product.

I was just about to say that...

It certain felt like it when they slapped on 2D/3D environment as well as by playing with our nostalgia by bringing us back the Tanooki Suit. In addition, It's 3D feature is more damaging on the gameplay.

Around the Network
PSwii60 said:
happydolphin said:
PSwii60 said:

More importantly, I believe this is defensive move on Nintendo's part should Wii U achieve only moderate success similar to Gamecube. They cannot afford to have a failing home and handheld consoles.

Interesting. I'll just say I don't agree with bold, it isn't business realistic.

How does the 3DS getting limelight correlate to Nintendo preparing for the case where WiiU underachieves?

I see 3DS/Wii U in the same position where Gamecube/Gameboy was. Their focus on 3DS is to make it a successful and profitable product the same way Gameboy was, should Wii U fail. Gameboy carried them financially more so than the gamecube did during the sixth gen and they hope to replicate that if Wii U underachieve.

Okay, I see what you mean now and it makes sense.

Now that I actually understand what you mean I'll disagree, and always respectfully.

What we know about the 3DS is that it needed to gain the confidence of Japanese developers first and foremost in order to succeed. With a close looming Vita launch, the 3DS only had so much time to fend off the powerful playstation brand while it was the sole gen8 player in the market, hence the price drop. Of course Nintendo wanted it to succeed, and I don't think it had much to do with the home console brother.

In the meantime I believe Nintendo has high hopes for the WiiU to even surpass its handheld business, and as such I don't think they see the 3DS as the backup plan anymore. Add to that the fact that the initial price drop cause many financial losses on the short-term, it's hard to warrant such an expensive back-up plan, wouldn't you agree? Imho there was another motivation behind that, and I believe it to be Nintendo fearing the competition from Mobile markets, and the inability to fend that threat off unless they are truly the #1 handheld maker, with enough leverage to counter that threat. In 2nd place they wouldn't be in a position to do anything about it.

NintendoPie said:
Hm, are you saying that Nintendo is being stupid with the Wii U?
If so... I agree!!!

They need to get the hype up soon, because it's coming out SOON. But so far I see really nothing on it.

AND WHERE THE HECK IS THE PRICEPOINT?!

I try to make sense out of it but my thoughts are in shambles. It's antagonizing

Chandler said:
I don't think the outcome of the Gamescom plays any role to Nintendos approach from here on out. This is how I think it will go from here on:

Nintendo has been very silent and secretive about information regarding Wii U because they know that the mass market (aka not us) has a very short attention span. So they are saving up as much information as possible and come september, when like u said the 3DS XL and NSMB2 are well on their way, they will start to carpet bomb the world and stuff every news channel with a flood of information to create as much buzz as possible. They want to get the level of curiosity as high as possible for when they launch the Wii U in November because curiosity is important for the blue ocean strategy to work. Nintendo will aim for the initial sell through to be as high as possible and then they want to keep this momentum going. This strategy worked well with the Wii, let's see how they fare with the Wii U.

i agree, people are more attention deficit regarding technology (which include gaming console.)   I think they will put all the announcement a few months before the actual release of the wii u.  They don't want to fizzle-out the excitement before the actual release and with what I'm seeing that is the case.  It is very similar to the new 3ds xl when they released it after a month it was announced.  I think nintendo's strategy works perfectly with the current attitude of the current mass in gaming industry.

aikohualda said:
Chandler said:
I don't think the outcome of the Gamescom plays any role to Nintendos approach from here on out. This is how I think it will go from here on:

Nintendo has been very silent and secretive about information regarding Wii U because they know that the mass market (aka not us) has a very short attention span. So they are saving up as much information as possible and come september, when like u said the 3DS XL and NSMB2 are well on their way, they will start to carpet bomb the world and stuff every news channel with a flood of information to create as much buzz as possible. They want to get the level of curiosity as high as possible for when they launch the Wii U in November because curiosity is important for the blue ocean strategy to work. Nintendo will aim for the initial sell through to be as high as possible and then they want to keep this momentum going. This strategy worked well with the Wii, let's see how they fare with the Wii U.

i agree, people are more attention deficit regarding technology (which include gaming console.)   I think they will put all the announcement a few months before the actual release of the wii u.  They don't want to fizzle-out the excitement before the actual release and with what I'm seeing that is the case.  It is very similar to the new 3ds xl when they released it after a month it was announced.  I think nintendo's strategy works perfectly with the current attitude of the current mass in gaming industry.

I couldn't agree more.

Around the Network
PSwii60 said:
Kenology said:
wfz said:

You lost me when you called Super Mario 3D Land a rushed product.

I was just about to say that...

It certain felt like it when they slapped on 2D/3D environment as well as by playing with our nostalgia by bringing us back the Tanooki Suit. In addition, It's 3D feature is more damaging on the gameplay.

Definitely don't agree with you there, it was the best use of 3D to date and really made it integral to the gameplay.  Fortunately most people enjoyed it.

SaviorX said:

5.5m worldwide starting from...March or January? Obviously the August numbers are not included in your figure, but this should be a big month with the 3DS XL and NSMB2 launching.

From October to Last December alone, the 3DS sold 7.9 million units. With the same evergreen titles & NSMB2, crossover hype from the Wii U launch, and more holiday titles, I see the 3DS beating that this year.

January (calendar year). Of course August will be big, but I'm not expecting that much this holiday season because of Wii U launch and NSMBU taking some sales to NSMB2.

Also, last year there were 3 big factors for the high sales: price cut, 3D Land and Mario Kart. I'm not expecting those games to push the same sales as last year; XL is more expensive than regular 3DS and as mentioned before, NSMB2 sales could be good, but not that great because of the U iteration.

And honestly, Paper Mario and Luigi Mansion are not big sellers, like for example Animal Crossing.

That's talking about western markets, Japan on the other hand will be very big with both NSMB and Animal Crossing.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

They abandoned the Wii because they are making a new console, and because maybe they are out of ideas.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Pavolink said:
SaviorX said:

5.5m worldwide starting from...March or January? Obviously the August numbers are not included in your figure, but this should be a big month with the 3DS XL and NSMB2 launching.

From October to Last December alone, the 3DS sold 7.9 million units. With the same evergreen titles & NSMB2, crossover hype from the Wii U launch, and more holiday titles, I see the 3DS beating that this year.

January (calendar year). Of course August will be big, but I'm not expecting that much this holiday season because of Wii U launch and NSMBU taking some sales to NSMB2.

Also, last year there were 3 big factors for the high sales: price cut, 3D Land and Mario Kart. I'm not expecting those games to push the same sales as last year; XL is more expensive than regular 3DS and as mentioned before, NSMB2 sales could be good, but not that great because of the U iteration.

And honestly, Paper Mario and Luigi Mansion are not big sellers, like for example Animal Crossing.

That's talking about western markets, Japan on the other hand will be very big with both NSMB and Animal Crossing.

NSMBU is not confirmed for launch simultaneous with the Wii U yet. I doubt that there will be interfenerence on the console side with the handheld side when it comes to buying NSMB. The console and handheld are two different experiences from the same franchise but they work in tandem. 2D Mario is one of the rare franchises that can coexist that way. I have previously spoken in length about how COD and Assassins Creed on the Vita cannot.

Your second part I'm a little confused about. Animal Crossing DS was a big seller, that is true. However, the Wii version was awful and lazy. In this case despite its sales, the negative feedback (along with...Wii Music?) destroyed Wii momentum forever. Luigis Mansion & Paper Mario will probably only sell 2m each, but they are not so bad that it turns people off from buying a 3DS. These two games simply sustain momentum and strengthen the library.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Pokemon Black and White 2 is coming mid-December. That will also help a little. I agree, selling in the West will be harder but I got a good hunch about the 3DS making it work somehow this year.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

PSwii60 said:
NintendoPie said:
Hm, are you saying that Nintendo is being stupid with the Wii U?
If so... I agree!!!

They need to get the hype up soon, because it's coming out SOON. But so far I see really nothing on it.

AND WHERE THE HECK IS THE PRICEPOINT?!

I try to make sense out of it but my thoughts are in shambles. It's antagonizing

What...?