By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U, 3DS, my thoughts...

What do you think?

Hmmm... you make sense for once 5 14.71%

PSwii60? I don't believe a word you say 5 14.71%

I'd believe this if WiiBox3 wrote this 0 0%

This is but an elaborate spam 10 29.41%

This is common knowledge.... 9 26.47%

Nind000000000000med!!1 5 14.71%

Total:34

With 3DS, pressing the panic button was necessary. It wasn't selling well. Now that it's selling well, I doubt they're holding out Wii U info just to coddle the 3DS. That would be sabotaging their own plans. As said above, it may be due to short attention span of the masses.

While I don't believe Nintendo or any of the hardware makers would replicate the success they've achieve this gen, it is a bit premature to see how well the Wii U will do. Either way, Wii U would have to fail on apocalyptic level for it to suffer Gamecube's fate.

Around the Network

You lost me when you called Super Mario 3D Land a rushed product. Your writing is too sensationalist for my taste. :P

Is the OP's suggesting Nintendo expects WiiU to fail so there focusing all their attention on propping up 3DS so it can support them like GB/DS did during the GC era?

I doubt Nintendo is so pessimistic, although the lack of interest in WiiU is apparent. More like members have suggested, they are timing the news to catch the attention of average consumers. IE: Close to launch.

Pavolink said:
I eagerly wait for Galaki opinion.

Also, in my opinion, 3DS is selling ok-good because of the DS brand, not for its own. Many games are sequels for DS games that make the handheld a success: NSMB sequel, Nintendogs sequel, Oni Training sequel and next year Friend Collection sequel.

I'm expecting 3DS sales to start to fall soon after XL release, with maybe another revision for holidays 2013 or Q1 2014. It could end with something like 90M at the end, which is good, but that's all. Maybe replaced at holiday 2015 for a very different handheld.

About the Wii U, I expect to sell very well initially, and while never will reach the peaks we saw with the Wii, its sales will be more consistent during its life.

Next year is most likely the 3DS' peak year, but I also feel 2014 will be very close; no less than 15% below the 2013 total. 2011 was around 13.5m, 2012 will probably be around ~19m.

With that in mind, I'm therefore assuming the 3DS sells 23.5 million units next year. and probably 20.75m the year after.

3DS Lifetime hardware sales will be past 115 million for sure.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

PSwii60 said:

We know that Nintendo survived the sixth gen largely due to the success of Gameboy that had continued onto DS and finally the Wii.

Having recognized Wii as a financial success by Nintendo, I then noticed that Nintendo seemingly abandoned it and shifted their resources with heavy focus on the 3DS.

With 3DS' lower than expectations sales within six months of its release, a price cut was then put into effect for temporary boost as well as a rushed Mario game was released to further help the sales on a more steady basis until they can release more software.

E3 came and showed us more 3DS info, yet another Mario was announced. Soon after 3DS XL followed.

I interpreted the alarmingly lack of any solid Wii U news was so that 3DS can blossom and garner steady success needed to further cement it as a real viable platform.

More importantly, I believe this is defensive move on Nintendo's part should Wii U achieve only moderate success similar to Gamecube. They cannot afford to have a failing home and handheld consoles.

I expect to hear real info once 3DS XL is announced in North America and the release of NSMB2. On a smaller factor, after Gamescom as they will have a clearer picture on Sony's approach with the Vita from here on out.

Interesting. I'll just say I don't agree with bold, it isn't business realistic.

How does the 3DS getting limelight correlate to Nintendo preparing for the case where WiiU underachieves?

Around the Network
wfz said:

You lost me when you called Super Mario 3D Land a rushed product.

I was just about to say that...

SaviorX said:
Pavolink said:

Also, in my opinion, 3DS is selling ok-good because of the DS brand, not for its own. Many games are sequels for DS games that make the handheld a success: NSMB sequel, Nintendogs sequel, Oni Training sequel and next year Friend Collection sequel.

I'm expecting 3DS sales to start to fall soon after XL release, with maybe another revision for holidays 2013 or Q1 2014. It could end with something like 90M at the end, which is good, but that's all. Maybe replaced at holiday 2015 for a very different handheld.

About the Wii U, I expect to sell very well initially, and while never will reach the peaks we saw with the Wii, its sales will be more consistent during its life.

Next year is most likely the 3DS' peak year, but I also feel 2014 will be very close; no less than 15% below the 2013 total. 2011 was around 13.5m, 2012 will probably be around ~19m.

With that in mind, I'm therefore assuming the 3DS sells 23.5 million units next year. and probably 20.75m the year after.

3DS is atm at 5.5m. To reach 19m it will need 13-13.5m in 5 months. It won't. 11.5-12M at max. Next year could be better, but not as high as you expect, maybe 20.5-21m, which will be very good.

I'm expecting Nintendo to see 3DS as a good hanheld, but not as succesful as they wanted, even while not expecting to replicate DS success.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
SaviorX said:
Pavolink said:

3DS is atm at 5.5m. To reach 19m it will need 13-13.5m in 5 months. It won't. 11.5-12M at max. Next year could be better, but not as high as you expect, maybe 20.5-21m, which will be very good.

I'm expecting Nintendo to see 3DS as a good hanheld, but not as succesful as they wanted, even while not expecting to replicate DS success.

5.5m worldwide starting from...March or January? Obviously the August numbers are not included in your figure, but this should be a big month with the 3DS XL and NSMB2 launching.

From October to Last December alone, the 3DS sold 7.9 million units. With the same evergreen titles & NSMB2, crossover hype from the Wii U launch, and more holiday titles, I see the 3DS beating that this year.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

happydolphin said:
PSwii60 said:

More importantly, I believe this is defensive move on Nintendo's part should Wii U achieve only moderate success similar to Gamecube. They cannot afford to have a failing home and handheld consoles.

Interesting. I'll just say I don't agree with bold, it isn't business realistic.

How does the 3DS getting limelight correlate to Nintendo preparing for the case where WiiU underachieves?

I see 3DS/Wii U in the same position where Gamecube/Gameboy was. Their focus on 3DS is to make it a successful and profitable product the same way Gameboy was, should Wii U fail. Gameboy carried them financially more so than the gamecube did during the sixth gen and they hope to replicate that if Wii U underachieve.

Turkish said:
I agree with you PSWiiTripleixty :)

The Turkish! I'm honored. LOL! Well, I do like the x. It's my favore three letters - xXx