By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Destructoid: Playstation All Stars is 'something much more, unique and special' than a Smash Brothers clone

Tagged games:

Runa216 said:
Kenology said:
Runa216 said:

*eyetwitch*  Are you effin serious?  like, is every platforming game a ripoff just becuase it was copying the idea of mario?  

Is every shooting game a ripoff of Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

is every RPG game a ripoff of dungeons and dragons? 

Dude, your argument is so incredibly flawed I feel like I want to backhand you for being ignorant.  Getting inspiration for something or making something similar is NOT the same as blatantly copying it.  And like I said, the game plays and feels VERY different from Smash Brothers, much like how Halo plays and feels different from call of duty, which in turn feels different from Gears of War.  You're being very close-minded. 

In terms of Smash Bros. style fighting games, yes, TMNT Smash up and PASBR totally ape Smash Bros. and are completely inspired by Smash Bros. and will forever be known to be derivative of Smash Bros (i.e. rip offs).  Get over it.  Move on.  Let it go.

No, I will not just move on and let it go as long as your closeminded attitude continues to poison the general internet.  

So... the graphics style is clearly modeled after Smash.  The controls are incredibly similar.  Use up down left or right to modify your basic and special attacks.  Only now you have two special attack buttons.  You can airdodge, and watching Big Daddy's airdodge motion is truly hilarious for just how smash-like it looks.  You also roll in the exact same manner as you do in Smash.  I'm not sure if you can spot dodge or not in this game.  We also have the trademark platformer-like stages of Smash Brothers to round out the package.

The only thing anyone can really point out as a difference is that the objective is different than Smash.  In Smash your objective was typically to knock characters off of the stage, whereas here you have to KO them with supers.  One thing people seem to be quick to forget is that Smash Brothers had a variety of different modes.  In addition to the default timed mode, you have stock mode, coin mode, and stamina mode, each of which changes the objective. 

So, what they've really done here is add a new mode to Smash Brothers.  Let's call it "Final Smash mode".  I have my reservations about this mode (it seems to me that it is going to be a hinderance to 1 on 1 matches).  If you think that changing one element of the game while taking the rest from Smash makes it a new and unique experience.

To use an analogy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s0hEi8zhmg

Smash Brothers= Under Pressure

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale= Ice Ice Baby

But, if you don't mind rip offs, go ahead.  I'm not Jimminy Cricket or anything telling anyone what's right and wrong.

Around the Network

after playing the beta...I find it extremely amusing by you guys who are trying 'soo hard' to tell this game plays like smash..

lol

and about the slow gameplay bit...again..doesn't sound like any of you know what the heck you guys are talking about. I'm under NDA sadly..so can only share comments on exact aspects of the beta with other beta users apparently. So I can't go into details sadly. I'll tell this much..the game is by no means slow...at all. IFor that maybe read up on some hands on impressions by the media

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

"after playing the beta...I find it extremely amusing by you guys who are trying 'soo hard' to tell this game plays like smash.."

Probably directed to someone else as I never once would say that. But it's a obvious market plan to confuse nintendo fans that this  is a smash game. Tags as I explained had ssmb in it and similar tags to that. You on google type ssmb you find an ad for playstation all stars?

The game could have been something that seperates sony from nintendo but sony loves to try find ways to grab nintendo fans and it always fails. Example, Move and Mod racers. 

Think about all the ideas you could have come up with a sony game that had all characters? Why would you choose game that directly would look like smash bros? Why? Because you want ride on someone elses sucess. It's sad. I could have thought of a bad#ss game that was creative and would be a TRUE alternative to Smash bros. I would a 3d/ Mash attack game in an arena with four characters? That would be EPIC. But no we get a poor man 4 party character that is a cash-in on smash bros series. That's why developer didn't need to play it to see it was rip-off because he knows how there marketing and the obvious riding on someone sucess. Sony in Ps1-Ps2 days would have gave us one of the best party games that would have been creative but ps3 sony just got lazy this generation you can tell there getting less and less creative.

"and about the slow gameplay bit...again..doesn't sound like any of you know what the heck you guys are talking about. I'm under NDA sadly"

There has been videos of people playing the beta and have confirm that it is slower like me and some other on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0ENjYrsE8&list=UUqGUB3NSELqbDZ68v1tmrHQ&index=4&feature=plcp

^  The beginning he is trolling but later he says the game is solid (decent basically) and it is slower than all 3 smash bros.

The under NDA is bs as dozons of people have talked about the beta and have played ,no reason to be lier for a video game.

"so can only share comments on exact aspects of the beta with other beta users apparently."

-_- ......Why lie?

"So I can't go into details sadly. I'll tell this much..the game is by no means slow...at all. IFor that maybe read up on some hands on impressions by the media"

The beta isn't a freaking CIA mission they want people to upload and build intrest that was the point of giving the beta to a few to build hype LOL. What next little big planet kart beta is for no else to know but the beta users? LOL XD

Get off of here you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

ninetailschris said:

"after playing the beta...I find it extremely amusing by you guys who are trying 'soo hard' to tell this game plays like smash.."

Probably directed to someone else as I never once would say that. But it's a obvious market plan to confuse nintendo fans that this  is a smash game. Tags as I explained had ssmb in it and similar tags to that. You on google type ssmb you find an ad for playstation all stars?

The game could have been something that seperates sony from nintendo but sony loves to try find ways to grab nintendo fans and it always fails. Example, Move and Mod racers. 

Think about all the ideas you could have come up with a sony game that had all characters? Why would you choose game that directly would look like smash bros? Why? Because you want ride on someone elses sucess. It's sad. I could have thought of a bad#ss game that was creative and would be a TRUE alternative to Smash bros. I would a 3d/ Mash attack game in an arena with four characters? That would be EPIC. But no we get a poor man 4 party character that is a cash-in on smash bros series. That's why developer didn't need to play it to see it was rip-off because he knows how there marketing and the obvious riding on someone sucess. Sony in Ps1-Ps2 days would have gave us one of the best party games that would have been creative but ps3 sony just got lazy this generation you can tell there getting less and less creative.

"and about the slow gameplay bit...again..doesn't sound like any of you know what the heck you guys are talking about. I'm under NDA sadly"

There has been videos of people playing the beta and have confirm that it is slower like me and some other on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0ENjYrsE8&list=UUqGUB3NSELqbDZ68v1tmrHQ&index=4&feature=plcp

^  The beginning he is trolling but later he says the game is solid (decent basically) and it is slower than all 3 smash bros.

The under NDA is bs as dozons of people have talked about the beta and have played ,no reason to be lier for a video game.

"so can only share comments on exact aspects of the beta with other beta users apparently."

-_- ......Why lie?

"So I can't go into details sadly. I'll tell this much..the game is by no means slow...at all. IFor that maybe read up on some hands on impressions by the media"

The beta isn't a freaking CIA mission they want people to upload and build intrest that was the point of giving the beta to a few to build hype LOL. What next little big planet kart beta is for no else to know but the beta users? LOL XD

It's rather moronic that a newbie like you who apparently is not in the beta is saying there is no NDA...there is. Every time you start up the beta you have to agree to it to proceed. So I really am not sure how much details I can talk about. Even on this site I am currently talking to other beta users via PM. This isn't a lie or a conspiracy. The one who needs to grow up or gtfo is you.

The game is not slow. at all. In fact it's more chaotic than smash. Now how am I gonna prove this to someone like you who has made up your mind? Will there be people who disagree? sure. It's called having an opinion. No need to be a sad individual by not being able to take different opinions of people who actually have played the game. Good thing you didn't see anyone who thinks this, a beta, is already better than smash. You would flip out lol. Fact of the matter is I am not the only one who thinks it's faster. But hey apparently if some one disagrees with your delusions, he is a liar. lol I mean really? And the man you posted in that youtube vid calls a game shovelware, based on a beta and calls out those who will buy the game already.....yep some credible user you have there >_>

The NDA, I know that I won't end up in prison or anything. But I like to respect the NDAs as much as I can. I have been in so many beta recently, including the LBP kart one. But I didn't go on talking lots of details about that either. It's just how I like to approach these things. Not the kind of thing you believe in? sucks, deal with it.

Anywho dream on buddy...but this game has the potential to be much much better than smash. time will tell if that happens or not. 

ps: not sure what the first part of your post is about. Why would you need to clarify that I couldn't have been talking to a nobody like you? If you posted in this thread earlier..I sure as hell didn't take notice lol

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

"It's rather moronic that a newbie like you who apparently is not in the beta is saying there is no NDA...there is. Every time you start up the beta you have to agree to it to proceed. So I really am not sure how much details I can talk about. Even on this site I am currently talking to other beta users via PM. This isn't a lie or a conspiracy. The one who needs to grow up or gtfo is you."

Never said it was conspiracy what I said was they don't care at all. Hundreds of people have talked abou the game to open youtube formates. You are a idiot if you think they care. LOL only talking to beta members? Like they search your address and give a crap what your doing. Your a joke to act like your some CIA agent holding great information xD.

"The game is not slow. at all. In fact it's more chaotic than smash."

No it isn't do you want more objective videos of people playing the beta and them saying that it isn't fast as smash? I GAVE A VIDEO unlike mr.CIA agaent here because it is slower it's not opinion there have been people who have said this. You're really a joke if you think it's faster than melee get off the internet right now because no one will agree with on that unless your name is sonybot123. 

"Now how am I gonna prove this to someone like you who has made up your mind? Will there be people who disagree? sure. It's called having an opinion." 

TrollFace: 1. Shows video off someone being objective and saying it's a soild game is slower than all 3 smash games. 2.Someone just claim it's faster with no proof then hides behind it's my opinion. 3.??? 4.Profit!

Listen it doesn't take a genuis to tell if x game is faster than another. It is a fact melee is faster than brawl. You can play and see it and know which is faster. Physics and speed of movement. How the hell is it a opinion?  What next 2*2=4 it's your opinion because to me that 2 could be less than 1.5? Again you honestly have no clue what your talking about.

"No need to be a sad individual by not being able to take different opinions of people who actually have played the game. Good thing you didn't see anyone who thinks this, a beta, is already better than smash. You would flip out lol."

LOl this is the internet where you can find duke nukemen forever fans I'm not surpised when people make up stuff for company or memories. I find it funny you called me a sad indualivial when you think speed of a game is a opinion LOL. When people know there arguments are failing they always go to it's my opinion because there to weak to defend there horrible arguments. By the way you want choatic play super smash bros melee pokemon float stage that's freaking chaotic lol. You use choatic in sense that bad camering is chaotic because there is nothing choatic going on in PAS. ( P.S it's my opinion super mario bros 1 is faster than super mario bros 2 xD LOL what a joke)

"Fact of the matter is I am not the only one who thinks it's faster. But hey apparently if some one disagrees with your delusions"

If can't see the facts than your delusional that is how it goes. If you can't tell melee is faster than brawl you need your eyes checked. If you can't tell PAS is slower than melee and brawl you need your eyes checked or to turn on your thinking cap.The only people who say otherwise are the diehards. Physics and movement speed are obvious. 

"And the man you posted in that youtube vid calls a game shovelware, based on a beta and calls out those who will buy the game already.....yep some credible user you have there >"

FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM GET OFF THE INTERNET NOW.

"^  The [beginning he is trolling] but later he says the game is solid (decent basically) and it is slower than all 3 smash bros."

Can you NOT READ TOO?

WOW good job I'm dealing with a kid who can't read a basic sentence under a video link. Good job I'm adding this to my list off top fails of the internet xD. Let me make it so you can read.  HE IS JOKING IN THE BEGINNING. <- [Maybe too long...]  Dora: do you know where the sentence is ? A. Is it below sentence pointing up to the link? B. Is not there at all.  C. The question is to advance. 

M.U.G.E.N: This hard.... hmm .. one sentence below the video...where is that?....... I will just go with B.

Dora: You Fail.

"The NDA, I know that I won't end up in prison or anything. But I like to respect the NDAs as much as I can. I have been in so many beta recently, including the LBP kart one. But I didn't go on talking lots of details about that either. It's just how I like to approach these things. Not the kind of thing you believe in? sucks, deal with it."

Deal with this. Side note they could careless with the whole leak that happen over the weekend.  Nothing you say will change the physics and movement of the game that's fact so I don't even know why you bought it up unless you don't know what the hell speed means. ~Looks at your reading ability~ Not shocked .

"Anywho dream on buddy...but this game has the potential to be much much better than smash. time will tell if that happens or not. "

Predicted using actual supported arguments why it wouldn't be so many times yet no one seems to be able argue against them. Trust it will the mod racers ->  Mario Kart.  I can tell already that they fail on what makes a fighting game great. This game reminds me of B.O.N that is basically this game with anime characters. 

"ps: not sure what the first part of your post is about. Why would you need to clarify that I couldn't have been talking to a nobody like you? If you posted in this thread earlier..I sure as hell didn't take notice lol"

Refering to a comment to made about this not being a rip off when even a 5 year old could tell it is.  Or a gf. Or a mental. Or a person who can't read like you.

Nobody comment is funny because I rather be a nobody then someone who can't even read or things speed is a opinion xD. Guess what guys F-Zero being faster than mart kart is an opinion xD. What a joke your lack of arguments are. 

Leave this thread before you screw up even more.

List of your fails.

Speed of a game compared to another is opinion even though speed is based on personal thought but is objective. Probably can't tell speed differences because of lack of ability to understand basic concepts.

Best fail award: Inability to read a sentence pointing to the  link.

Believing this will be better than smash even though everything points to this selling 2.5 million in it's lifetime. Even though the death system is the most anti-climate  thing ever seen in a fighting game. Even though knocking orbs out of people than special is going to last 3-6 months at max or to the next smash bros game. Even though they have background characters doing nothing basically to game and would mostly just turn off as it's basically pointless and annoying. Even though this game could have been a thousand times better and not in the shadow of super smash bros if they created an original game that was unique experience. But hey it has better online :). Well all know this game will bomb in Japan(japan hates 75 percent of the characters and will see it as dishonerable game). Will know it will bad in Europe because fighting games there don't sell well there hell the best selling fighter was smash bros and even that did lower than JAPAN. Your average sony fan will not care because it doesn't look like what sony sually pushes a shooter that makes you jizz of grahpics. Nintendo fans most nintendo fans will see this as a move or mod racers. Kids want to feel cool by playing shooters on the ps3 as fighting games sell bad with kids-teenages typical. Hardcore fans will buy the game but let's be honest look at ACIII coming around the same time is going outshine this game by far. Plus Playstation-allstars isn't hyping up anyone but internet forums most people don't care about it. I haven't seen one playstation all star video that's over a million views. Yet ACIII is getting millions. I seen videos during 2007 when I was on youtube with smash bros brawl hitting million easily.

The facts show this game will fail. This game is decent at best. ACIII will over shadow this game. The game will be lucky to hit 2.5 million like I said before and lucky it get a 8.5-9 on reviews and will not get game of the year like super smash bros.

Now good luck with PAS as I will get Sly Cooper 4 a game that actaully is creative.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:

Yes. They want to convince Nintendo fans that the next Smash will be a PS3/V exclusive

Yes. SONY is very stupid for thinking they could sell their products to people that own other systems buy providing the type of gameplay they like and try to make it better. The idiots. 

Think about all the ideas you could have come up with a sony game that had all characters? Why would you choose game that directly would look like smash bros? Why? Because you want ride on someone elses sucess. It's sad. I could have thought of a bad#ss game that was creative and would be a TRUE alternative to Smash bros. I would a 3d/ Mash attack game in an arena with four characters? That would be EPIC.

Yes. This game should have been a Naruto:Clash of the Ninja clone. Because that hasn't been done before.

But no we get a poor man 4 party character that is a cash-in on smash bros series. That's why developer didn't need to play it to see it was rip-off because he knows how there marketing and the obvious riding on someone sucess. Sony in Ps1-Ps2 days would have gave us one of the best party games that would have been creative but ps3 sony just got lazy this generation you can tell there getting less and less creative.

Yep. No one at SONY has had a single original idea all gen. They never think maybe they should pick-up a risky new game project idea. I can't think of a single game from SONY this gen that felt even slightly unique.

Stupid SONY... they couldn't copy Smash's speed right... I need more fuel to mock this rip-off!!!!!

-_- ......Why lie?

The beta isn't a freaking CIA mission they want people to upload and build intrest that was the point of giving the beta to a few to build hype LOL.

So true! Beta's are for hype, damnit. Not bug testing, beta testing, server testing, data mining and all of that other silly jazz people talk about. That "thing" when you launch a beta and it says not to talk about... they keed!! The expect you to ignore that.  If it were really a problem, SONY would be suing random youtube members left in right. it would be so easy to, because everyone's PSN is linked to their youtube. AND they totally have the authority to do so.

What next little big planet kart beta is for no else to know but the beta users? LOL XD

Thank you. Your insight and understanding is a breath of fresh air.

4 ≈ One

I'm 99% certain this dude is just a troll account. Those post are hilarious.

4 ≈ One

I ...I am not even sure anymore...surely he is joking....right? right? 0_o wtf is this lol

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

STOP IT. BOTH OF YOU STOP IT.

Stop derailing this thread with your petty flamewar.

You know what? It's too far gone. I'm not taking that chance. Locking.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective