By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Destructoid: Playstation All Stars is 'something much more, unique and special' than a Smash Brothers clone

Tagged games:

happydolphin said:
I think within this thread, whether it's a rip-off or not doesn't really matter, and I'm upset we fell into that branch again.

Bottom line is that PABR is a new game that looks like alot of fun regardless of anything else, and the article got us at least excited for it, even if overly optimistic that's kind of needed at times in an overly pessimistic industry.

Apologies for biting the bait.

I think that whether or not this game is a rip off is pretty relevant.  The writer started his article by talking about Smash Brothers, and continuously compares the game to Smash throughout.  So... I don't think it's going off on a tangent to discuss that.

And frankly, that's something superbot and Sony brought upon themselves.  Because of the design choices they made, it's inevitable that this game will live in Smash's shadow.  Sony would have to do something truly revolutionary to offset the overwhelming similarities, and it doesn't seem like they did.  It's kind of disappointing to see one of the leaders of the industry playing catch up like this.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:
i'm a little confused here... does anyone besides happydolphin disagree with my comment about the nintendo fans who have been raving about kamiya's comments while disregarding actual impressions of the game from people who played it?

Hands on impressions have done little to discredit Kamiya.  It seems like the method of KO is really the only thing that distinguishes all stars from Brawl, and hands on impressions haven't shown me otherwise.  If you think that's enough to make this game not a ripoff, that's fine, but I disagree.

i wasn't trying to discredit kamiya's comments that was never my intention all i commented on was the nintendo fans who have held his opinion up like an overarching fact without looking at actual hands on impressions for the game

"It seems like the method of KO is really the only thing that distinguishes all stars from Brawl, and hands on impressions haven't shown me otherwise."

based on which impressions? can you post some for me if it isn't too much trouble?

here are some i've looked through before

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484292

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Official-Beta-Thread/td-p/37647501

This game reminds my of a mix of SSB, Power Stones and D.O.N, which is slighly concerning... (D.O.N was a big disappointment to me, btw, because of all the emphasis on supers)... I'm not saying this is going to be a bad game because it is a copy, I'm honestly just jaded with the videogame industry's (pretty much everyone besides Nintendo) ability to be complacent and ok with blatant copying with tweaks/improvements... I LOVED LBP, because it was ORIGINAL! LBPk, not so much... BTW even if the formula is slightly different, it is inspired by SSB in the first place... If you like this game, or even like it better, then fine, that's cool... You may like the style or the characters better... However, if you sit here and try to say that Sony DIDN'T see SSBB's massive sales and say "Hey, I want a piece of that money/market" (again), and thus tried to copy the game to cash in on it, you are in denial. I find it funny that many Sony fans (not all) hated braw and said it was stupid, etc, then when sony copies it, it's suddenly ok... Same with Move, LBPkarting, etc.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I would have preferred if this game used health bars and Supers bars instead of the direction they're taking now. Beating the crap out of your opponent and not actually doing any damage is not a good feeling, reminds me too much of Battle Stadium D.O.N. That game got boring way to quickly because of the way you win matches which is similar to this game. Don't understand why the Devs were so adamant not to include an option/game mode for health bars?

Maybe they will have it in an alternate mode... After all, this is just a beta. And I knew I wasn't the only one who thought of D.O.N when I heard of the "super moves" KO-ing somone (such as how DON's finishing moves finished the match)!  That game was such a letdown for me! >.<

Trunkin said:
After seeing more gameplay and reading about the mechanics, it becomes pretty apparent that this isn't a Smash Bros. clone after all. I mean, Jump Ultimate Stars is more of a clone than this is, and if you've played that you know that it's nothing like SSB.

How do you figure? I've played JSS and JUS... in the JS series, the characters' color fade out and die, not focused on ringouts! And your characters have to slowly recover before you can use them again... Not to mention it is a team you assemble beforehand, with several variations of characters at different power levels that you have to unlock... You also choose your own powerups and helpers beforehand... There aren't a whole lot of powerups on the stage... Not to mention, there isn't an overview in the JS series... You are often (intentionally) ambushed because the camera focuses on you the entire time. Also, the stages are usually much larger vertically than SSB (With the exception of the moving levels of SSB, which don't exist in the JS series)... Not to mention, most stages in the JS Series are non-interactive, whereas many SSB stages are very interactive... The most interaction you get in the JS series is to break the walls... Not to mention, JS is all Shonen Jump manga/anime, not videogames...

I see many more similarities between PSBR and SSB than SSB and JS.

I think the thing that entertains me most about this thread is that the best selling games over the last few years (call of Duty and other FPS games) are all basically identical, but only a select few complain about that, but a game that comes out and looks similar in look and feel to Smash Brothers comes out and EVERYONE (even people who hate nintendo) agree it's a clone and it needs to be hated for that reason.

I've played it. IT doesn't feel that much like smash brothers at all. Not only is the game something that people have been BEGGING for in the past few years, but the primary game mechanics are entirely different from smash brothers. How you get points is entirely different, the strategy is different, etc.

Arguing that this is a rip off of Smash Brothers is honestly about as inane and ineffectual a complaint as claiming Metroid Prime is a clone of Halo just because it's a first person perspective game that involves a lot of shooting and you control an armored space combat expert...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
I think the thing that entertains me most about this thread is that the best selling games over the last few years (call of Duty and other FPS games) are all basically identical, but only a select few complain about that, but a game that comes out and looks similar in look and feel to Smash Brothers comes out and EVERYONE (even people who hate nintendo) agree it's a clone and it needs to be hated for that reason.

I've played it. IT doesn't feel that much like smash brothers at all. Not only is the game something that people have been BEGGING for in the past few years, but the primary game mechanics are entirely different from smash brothers. How you get points is entirely different, the strategy is different, etc.

Arguing that this is a rip off of Smash Brothers is honestly about as inane and ineffectual a complaint as claiming Metroid Prime is a clone of Halo just because it's a first person perspective game that involves a lot of shooting and you control an armored space combat expert...

Hmmm...  I don't think people have been begging for this game.  If so, I'd like to see it because I must've missed it.

Secondly, I don't think changing how you get points is that much of a difference.  Ok, you don't ring out to win, but that difference is like arguing 'Capture the Flag' mode is a dramatic difference from ordinary 'Deathmatch' in an FPS.  It's the same game, just slight rule changes.

I do see how the strategy will be different though.  I don't think I'd like Smash Bros. if the only way you could win is by performing Final Smashes on opponents., but I'm hoping there's more to Sony All-Stars than that.

Also, saying Metroid Prime is a rip off of Halo really is inane and ineffectual.  Saying PASBR is a rip-off of Smash Bros. really is not - slight rule changes for how you score points and win will never change that fact - the concept is EXACTLY the same.  And it's ok! 

I just don't understand these half-baked rationalizations (not from you personally, but everyone).

Around the Network
Kenology said:
Runa216 said:

Hmmm...  I don't think people have been begging for this game.  If so, I'd like to see it because I must've missed it.

Secondly, I don't think changing how you get points is that much of a difference.  Ok, you don't ring out to win, but that difference is like arguing 'Capture the Flag' mode is a dramatic difference from ordinary 'Deathmatch' in an FPS.  It's the same game, just slight rule changes.

I do see how the strategy will be different though.  I don't think I'd like Smash Bros. if the only way you could win is by performing Final Smashes on opponents., but I'm hoping there's more to Sony All-Stars than that.

Also, saying Metroid Prime is a rip off of Halo really is inane and ineffectual.  Saying PASBR is a rip-off of Smash Bros. really is not - slight rule changes for how you score points and win will never change that fact - the concept is EXACTLY the same.  And it's ok! 

I just don't understand these half-baked rationalizations (not from you personally, but everyone).

If you can't see why completely altering the game's goals and reward system changes the strategy, then clearly you aren't really much for fighting games.  it's a HUGE difference compared to Smash Brothers, strategically. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Kenology said:

If you can't see why completely altering the game's goals and reward system changes the strategy, then clearly you aren't really much for fighting games.  it's a HUGE difference compared to Smash Brothers, strategically. 

Nah, I'm just saying that Nintendo created a 4-player simultaneous fighting game using a company's mascots fighting in cross universe environs with interactive backgrounds and now Sony is doing the exact same thing.  I'm saying that's a ripoff.  Changing how you win is trivial... and I said in my post already that it does change the strategy.  Still doesn't stop it from being a rip off.

Kenology said:

I totally see where you're coming from, and it makes sense, but I just wanted to say that the lack of a health system for knockout completely changes the physics of the game (in a negative way for me).

Juggling was a very interesting concept in smash due to this, it remains but will be really nerfed due to that significant change, just wanted to put that out there.

I shat up nao

Kenology said:

First I just wanna say that I'm done with the arguing over whether the game is a rip-off or not. I honestly think people care too much and that Superbot's response to it was more than sufficient. 

Begging may have been too strong of a word but only a person that hasn't been very big into the Playstation community would say that there wasn't significant demand for this game. Forums would light up for the past decade or so everytime the rumors would pop up. There's been a number of threads created over time on the official forums by people that wanted this game and they always got attention. I'm not gonna spend a bunch of time digging up those now because there's so much news and attention around PSAS now that finding stuff about the game possibly existing 5 years ago would be an insane task but take the applause, response and appreciation comments of the many fans like myself that show up around this game.

This is coming from a PS fan that's a long time Smash fan and bought a Wii a while back specifically just to play Brawl.

EDITED

4 ≈ One

Kenology said:
Runa216 said:
Kenology said:

Nah, I'm just saying that Nintendo created a 4-player simultaneous fighting game using a company's mascots fighting in cross universe environs with interactive backgrounds and now Sony is doing the exact same thing.  I'm saying that's a ripoff.  Changing how you win is trivial... and I said in my post already that it does change the strategy.  Still doesn't stop it from being a rip off.

*eyetwitch*  Are you effin serious?  like, is every platforming game a ripoff just becuase it was copying the idea of mario?  

Is every shooting game a ripoff of Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

is every RPG game a ripoff of dungeons and dragons? 

Dude, your argument is so incredibly flawed I feel like I want to backhand you for being ignorant.  Getting inspiration for something or making something similar is NOT the same as blatantly copying it.  And like I said, the game plays and feels VERY different from Smash Brothers, much like how Halo plays and feels different from call of duty, which in turn feels different from Gears of War.  You're being very close-minded. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX