By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Destructoid: Playstation All Stars is 'something much more, unique and special' than a Smash Brothers clone

Tagged games:

happydolphin said:
Kenology said:

Hmmm...  I don't think people have been begging for this game.  If so, I'd like to see it because I must've missed it.

Secondly, I don't think changing how you get points is that much of a difference.  Ok, you don't ring out to win, but that difference is like arguing 'Capture the Flag' mode is a dramatic difference from ordinary 'Deathmatch' in an FPS.  It's the same game, just slight rule changes.

I do see how the strategy will be different though.  I don't think I'd like Smash Bros. if the only way you could win is by performing Final Smashes on opponents., but I'm hoping there's more to Sony All-Stars than that.

Also, saying Metroid Prime is a rip off of Halo really is inane and ineffectual.  Saying PASBR is a rip-off of Smash Bros. really is not - slight rule changes for how you score points and win will never change that fact - the concept is EXACTLY the same.  And it's ok! 

I just don't understand these half-baked rationalizations (not from you personally, but everyone).

I totally see where you're coming from, and it makes sense, but I just wanted to say that the lack of a health system for knockout completely changes the physics of the game (in a negative way for me).

Juggling was a very interesting concept in smash due to this, it remains but will be really nerfed due to that significant change, just wanted to put that out there.

I shat up nao

i was trying to discuss that point with him earlier but he wasn't having it at all.  in light of the bolded comment i wouldn't be surprised if he thought NSMB wii wasn't just another SSB clone.

./sarcasm on

..you know, 'cause it's a 2d perspective with platforms and 4 players and you can kill the other players by throwing them off a ledge.  gameplay is basically identical when you think about it...

./sarcasm off

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

*eyetwitch*  Are you effin serious?  like, is every platforming game a ripoff just becuase it was copying the idea of mario?  

Is every shooting game a ripoff of Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

is every RPG game a ripoff of dungeons and dragons? 

Dude, your argument is so incredibly flawed I feel like I want to backhand you for being ignorant.  Getting inspiration for something or making something similar is NOT the same as blatantly copying it.  And like I said, the game plays and feels VERY different from Smash Brothers, much like how Halo plays and feels different from call of duty, which in turn feels different from Gears of War.  You're being very close-minded. 

In terms of Smash Bros. style fighting games, yes, TMNT Smash up and PASBR totally ape Smash Bros. and are completely inspired by Smash Bros. and will forever be known to be derivative of Smash Bros (i.e. rip offs).  Get over it.  Move on.  Let it go.

Kenology said:
Runa216 said:

*eyetwitch*  Are you effin serious?  like, is every platforming game a ripoff just becuase it was copying the idea of mario?  

Is every shooting game a ripoff of Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

is every RPG game a ripoff of dungeons and dragons? 

Dude, your argument is so incredibly flawed I feel like I want to backhand you for being ignorant.  Getting inspiration for something or making something similar is NOT the same as blatantly copying it.  And like I said, the game plays and feels VERY different from Smash Brothers, much like how Halo plays and feels different from call of duty, which in turn feels different from Gears of War.  You're being very close-minded. 

In terms of Smash Bros. style fighting games, yes, TMNT Smash up and PASBR totally ape Smash Bros. and are completely inspired by Smash Bros. and will forever be known to be derivative of Smash Bros (i.e. rip offs).  Get over it.  Move on.  Let it go.

No, I will not just move on and let it go as long as your closeminded attitude continues to poison the general internet.  

Moderated - Kantor

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

happydolphin said:
Kenology said:

Hmmm...  I don't think people have been begging for this game.  If so, I'd like to see it because I must've missed it.

Secondly, I don't think changing how you get points is that much of a difference.  Ok, you don't ring out to win, but that difference is like arguing 'Capture the Flag' mode is a dramatic difference from ordinary 'Deathmatch' in an FPS.  It's the same game, just slight rule changes.

I do see how the strategy will be different though.  I don't think I'd like Smash Bros. if the only way you could win is by performing Final Smashes on opponents., but I'm hoping there's more to Sony All-Stars than that.

Also, saying Metroid Prime is a rip off of Halo really is inane and ineffectual.  Saying PASBR is a rip-off of Smash Bros. really is not - slight rule changes for how you score points and win will never change that fact - the concept is EXACTLY the same.  And it's ok! 

I just don't understand these half-baked rationalizations (not from you personally, but everyone).

I totally see where you're coming from, and it makes sense, but I just wanted to say that the lack of a health system for knockout completely changes the physics of the game (in a negative way for me).

Juggling was a very interesting concept in smash due to this, it remains but will be really nerfed due to that significant change, just wanted to put that out there.

I shat up nao

I did mention that the strategy changes due to no ring outs (see underlined above), but changing how you win doesn't change the fact that it's derivative of and inspired by Smash Bros. - it's essentially like using options that already exist in Smash like coin mode (whoever collects the most coins win), stock mode (lives), giant mode, etc.  They all require different strategies than ordinary free-for-all to win.  There's no difference here.

But I'm gonna leave this alone.  It's silly for me to be arguing what we all know and everyone else knows.  There's a reason people will never mention PASBR without mentioning Smash Bros.  A rip off is a rip off.  Just accept it people! 

GOOD DAY!

Kenology said:
happydolphin said:
Kenology said:

I shat up nao

I did mention that the strategy changes due to no ring outs (see underlined above), but changing how you win doesn't change the fact that it's derivative of and inspired by Smash Bros. - it's essentially like using options that already exist in Smash like coin mode (whoever collects the most coins win), stock mode (lives), giant mode, etc.  They all require different strategies than ordinary free-for-all to win.  There's no difference here.

But I'm gonna leave this alone.  It's silly for me to be arguing what we all know and everyone else knows.  There's a reason people will never mention PASBR without mentioning Smash Bros.  A rip off is a rip off.  Just accept it people! 

GOOD DAY!

dude, your agenda is showing and it's sad.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

why are some of you even dealing with Kenology, he hasnt even played the game.
Ill be honest im a Sony fan, but i loved Smash Bros as well, and i was in the this is a clone boat, but after reading this and seeing mostly positive response from people who have ACTUALLY been playing the game. So what? Best case scenario it is as good as the article is saying and does enough things differently to stand out on its own and turns out great, worst case scenario, it is a straight clone, but as long as the onine works(and its Sony so I have no reason to believe it wont) then that right there would make it better than Brawl IMHO, (granted all the other problems get fixed).

I personally don't think it'll ever be better than Brawl from a fun and competitive standpoint because the knockback relative to health is a fundamental part of the smash experience to me. But I will say that it does look like their take on the game is very well executed regardless. Even if it were a rip-off, some rip-off are so aweful that it makes you want to cringe. This at least looks like a high-quality game, rip-off or not.

Pretending this game is not a copy of smash bros. makes you look lame guys.

Moderated - Kantor

"Perhaps it's a benefit of these characters being born on more advanced hardware or not being limited to 2D platformers, but All-Stars roster feels much more imaginative and fitting than any Smash Bros. game"

Man when I see drake I don't see the most generic looking character ever. You lost all creditable here. Plus after sony kill most of there unique characters this generation I don't see how you can even say that.

Plus most of your arguments were just dumb and are really poor.

This game will bomb in japan because japan hates most of the characters or doesn't care about them.

America will bomb because most only care about EXTREME 65 million dollars games. Plus look how well mod racers did LOL .9 yea people will take one look and walk the other direction.

Europe and fighting games usually don't go good plus the only one that did considerably good was super smash bros and even that did pretty good but playstation all stars will not even come close to that seeing as that was during a peak year of the wii.

The only thing this has over brawl is the online. But online isn't going to make game better then another.

PAS is probably the most boring fighting game I have ever watched(even people at evo were booing). Then when I played beta it was ok best. The deaths kill this game for me. It has to be one of the most anti-climate death system in fighting game history. The music was boring. the hitting noise was a joke.the camera was a joke. The background characters was a joke and pointless! The design blending with the characters was retarded. The specials are starting to more and more a like. And with 20 characters coming if you seriously believe to see 60 totally different specials you are delusional.

It's fact that ps3 worst selling games are it's fighting games. Kids are not going to buy this because there not going to get excited for this. New Ps3 fans are not going to like the kiddy feel they bash wii for. The only ones next are the fanboys or people who just buy for whatever reason. Combos are a joke, come back when they are mean something and isn't there just to pop out orbs. There is no excitement from hitting a combo and orbs coming out.
Getting hit really doesn't even mean anything either though I would be a good idea just to take to get teh ORBS!

Prediction this will sell 1.5-2.5 million in it's lifetime.

Super smash bros 2013 will be out in 2013 with better online and a better game. Playstation all stars will be dead by that time like mod racers did 5-6 months later.

The game is a joke. Your arguments are a joke.Let the game die. I would have been happier with a 3d fighter or an actual battle royal game with sony characters.

Btw lol at sony putting ssb tags in some of the playstaion all stars vids xD

Search super smash bros on google one of the ads are PLAYSTATION ALL STARS at the bottom. Nothing like game trying borrow success from another company what joke has sony become.

PS1-2 > PS3.

EDIT: It's not chaotic it's slower than all 3 SMB games that's a fact.

Melee makes this game look like a slow motion game.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

happydolphin said:
I personally don't think it'll ever be better than Brawl from a fun and competitive standpoint because the knockback relative to health is a fundamental part of the smash experience to me. But I will say that it does look like their take on the game is very well executed regardless. Even if it were a rip-off, some rip-off are so aweful that it makes you want to cringe. This at least looks like a high-quality game, rip-off or not.

Oh, I played it and I don't think it's as good as brawl...but my experiences with it so far have been limited...I understand the more you play it, the better it gets.  I didn't like Smash Brothers at first, but now it's one of my favorite games.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX