By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Three big points i would like to highlight on this one :

1/ Religion is really a tragedy in itself. This father's relationship with his son has been forever altered based on what a community has taught him. It is beyond pathetic.

2/ HappyDolphin has been declaring throughout this thread his admiration for the father's "respect of his own conviction" while, he, himself, has no "formed opinion" on the issue itself.

@HappyDolphin - Do you realize conviction is a passive state of mind ? - And challenging beliefs or realizing right from wrong on the other hand takes effort ?

3/ How should modern societies deal with modern bigotry ? I personally would like to see men free from religion, but i am very afraid we will never achieve this considering how much science has progressed without re-enlightening the obscured minds.

Around the Network

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Hardly what I would consider a hateful letter. It was pretty sweet in an ignorant sort of way. Everyone knows that being gay is a choice, the acting on the attraction not necessarily the attraction itself. I would have a hard time raising a gay son although I would not cut them out of my life I think it was little naive of the son to expect acceptance from his father knowing how he felt. Of course it probably hurt the son a lot to receive the letter. Tough situation all around.

cmeese47 said:
Hardly what I would consider a hateful letter. It was pretty sweet in an ignorant sort of way. Everyone knows that being gay is a choice, the acting on the attraction not necessarily the attraction itself. I would have a hard time raising a gay son although I would not cut them out of my life I think it was little naive of the son to expect acceptance from his father knowing how he felt. Of course it probably hurt the son a lot to receive the letter. Tough situation all around.

lol no, the attracation to other men is what makes you gay... Wether you act upon such attraction or not doesn't change the fact you are attracted to men in general. You're confusing being gay and being openly gay.

Well this was an enlightening and at times depressing thread. My take:

1. The Father who decided to write this letter is a coward who hid behind his beliefs instead of reflecting on his views. A letter is a horrible and cowardly way of facing up to this issue. He also has horrible handwriting...

2. I question why we should respect and accept other people's viewpoints if we logically can see they're flawed. I won't respect anyone who believes female "circumcision" is OK, or that "honor" killing is acceptable. The same goes with this.

3. Current research shows homosexuality is a mixture of nature, nurture and even some indicators showing chemicals in the water system (http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101201/full/news.2010.641.html)... at least in some birds... Anyway, not sure that any of that indicates "lifestyle choice".

Around the Network

I like to think of homosexuality as Nature's "Control Group". We all know that in order for any species to survive they have to procreate yet we can have many different purposes outside of that. Nature might be saying "HEY!!! There are way too many children today born without proper parenting or care. Maybe a certain average of humans should not e built to procreate rather focus on building of the community elements. And if they do feel so inclined, its impossible to be a surprise to them where they will not be prepared".

Its all quite genius really.....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I didn't really read this any different than a parent being disappionted in some guy picking some girl the parent doesnt approve of and then getting all weird with the big stupid statements like no gift exchanges, no communication etc.

The only prejudice involved is religious bias against "unnatural lifestyle choice" whatever that is supposed to mean. If religion wasn't involved, the father would have to come up with some other excuse why he doesn't like the person his son has picked but he sounds like the type of person that would have an opinion regardless.

Scoobes said:
Well this was an enlightening and at times depressing thread. My take:

1. The Father who decided to write this letter is a coward who hid behind his beliefs instead of reflecting on his views. A letter is a horrible and cowardly way of facing up to this issue. He also has horrible handwriting...

2. I question why we should respect and accept other people's viewpoints if we logically can see they're flawed. I won't respect anyone who believes female "circumcision" is OK, or that "honor" killing is acceptable. The same goes with this.

3. Current research shows homosexuality is a mixture of nature, nurture and even some indicators showing chemicals in the water system (http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101201/full/news.2010.641.html)... at least in some birds... Anyway, not sure that any of that indicates "lifestyle choice".

"Sorry, the file you have requested cannot be found on any of our servers at the address specified."

could you please give us another link or at least the title of the article? I'll look it up :)

Kantor said:
Player1x3 said:
Runa216 said:

Atheism isn't that illogical at all.  While we live in a world, where, yes, religion is a thing and therefore it forces people to consider the possibility of a divine creator, the fact of the matter is that there's absolutely no logic backing up the idea that the world, or at least the universe, was created by a higher power.  Science does plenty to support the theory that there is no god by taking away all the things he supposedly did.  While we're still left with a 'beginning' or 'origin' to explain, making a higher power explain it just opens up more questions, such as "If god created the universe, what created God?"  Beliving that the universe was not created by a higher power is not illogical, it makes perfect sense from a scientific standpoint. 

frankly, your crusade agaisnt atheism is really not winning you any favors. 

And what does your picture prove?  It has nothing to do with our argument.  Basically it says that people only believe what's convenient for them at the time, which really isn't an argument in favor of anything you seem to believe in. 

...its so logical i just came xD

I'm trying to get angry about that image, but I honestly can't. It's just so illogical and circular that it's hilarious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism 
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[8][9] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

There is no definitive proof that their is a god, no physical or tangible evidence. Yet Religion will argue that there is no proof there isn't either. The only hint of physical proof for christianity would be the Bible. But why is this seen as truth? Because it is the word of god. But how do you know its the actual word of God? Because the Bible tells me so................. :/

Atheists simply are saying show me the proof? And seeing as you cannot your conclusions are faulty. I always found one very big falacy in the whole one god religions. That would be their belief that it is impossible for the universe as we know it to be complete happenstance, a series of coincedences, an accident if you will. Ok, well if everything must come from a source of sorts, which in this case is an omnipitant beeing, where did God come from? Who created him? By their logic alone it is impossible for him to just..."BE" and it must be devine calculations at work. So why do we believe in God as apposed to God's God? I mean, we dont worship our parents do we? We respect them but we are suppose to look past them to the greater hiarchy of things. So why stop there when you can worship God's God's God. And the paradox never ends. 

How about we just stick to what we know,studied,learned for the past 2000 years. Using reasonable logic dictated by well known facts. Hypothesizing a possible answer with truth and not just filling in blanks because we don't want to have to think.

I love how Doctor Who/Torchwood approach this subject because they tap into the truth behind the lies. In their world, Aliens are finally realized to be real. In that instant, massive suicide breaks. When asked they say it is because many cannot cope with the scariness of the unknown. The fact that we are not the center of the universe and we learn just how small and insignificant we are as an individual. There entire sense of being implodes upon itself, religion, their job, their families, it all begins to feel mighty trivial. Which just goes to show many would rather live in blissful ignorance than face cold and very dark reality. I can understand it a little, I get this sinking feeling when I watch documentaries of how vast and limitless space is.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Absolutely revolting. Although the letter is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be, still would crush the person to whom it was addressed to. Weird to see people putting so much trust in the bible, more so than their own offspring. It's not like he tried buttfucking his own dad, then the letter would be justified, but that guys lifestyle shouldn't really affect his dad to the point of disowning.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.