By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Golly gee, is their ANY kid that doesn't do some things their parent don't like? Correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't Christian's teach say that a Father (or God) will love his children no matter what?

So this 'father' misses one of the core tenants of Christianity.

And yes, that's one person giving Christian's a bad name.

Disowned by your Father, so sad, hugs and Cupcakes for James.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
crissindahouse said:
hard to believe how much hate is in some against something to even do this to an own kid.

It wasn't a hateful letter. Some of the responses here definitely are, tho

maybe i understood the text wrong but there is a father who said his son he does never want to see him anymore because he said him that he is gay right? yeah sounds like a nice father too me.

crissindahouse said:
Player1x3 said:
crissindahouse said:
hard to believe how much hate is in some against something to even do this to an own kid.

maybe i understood the text wrong but there is a father who said his son he does never want to see him anymore because he said him that he is gay right? yeah sounds like a nice father too me.

I didn't say he was a good father, but if you hate someone (im using the actual definition of hatred here, not the new left wing definition) you would not wish him a good life and fortune at the end of the letter

Player1x3 said:
crissindahouse said:
Player1x3 said:
crissindahouse said:

I didn't say he was a good father, but if you hate someone (im using the actual definition of hatred here, not the new left wing definition) you would not wish him a good life and fortune at the end of the letter

i didn't say he hates his son. i said he hates something (the idea of beeing gay) so much that he did that to his son, taking his own son his father for the whole rest of his life.

crissindahouse said:
Player1x3 said:

He is not nice, but his letter did not show hate. It showed that he was not ready to accept his son's lifestyle, and that is not unseen in the world of parent-children relationships. You do realize, and I'm sure many do, that when someone comes out of the closet, they are prepared for different reactions because it isn't a simple thing.

Also, flesh and blood they are, but the person is at a point where they can live their own lives apart (it seems they were not living together in the first place "I hope your call was not to receive my blessing...").

Can you imagine how difficult it must have been for the father to write anything of the sort? It is understandable that it took the son 5 years to actually make it public, betraying the intimacy with his father to denounce him (quite the act) in front of an anonymous community. I don't think that's a very respectful act but everyone has their reasons.

Around the Network

Sounds like a horrible father to me. Any father that refuses to even talk to his son because of sexuality is a horrible father.

happydolphin said:
crissindahouse said:
Player1x3 said:

He is not nice, but his letter did not show hate. It showed that he was not ready to accept his son's lifestyle, and that is not unseen in the world of parent-children relationships. You do realize, and I'm sure many do, that when someone comes out of the closet, they are prepared for different reactions because it isn't a simple thing.

Also, flesh and blood they are, but the person is at a point where they can live their own lives apart (it seems they were not living together in the first place "I hope your call was not to receive my blessing...").

Can you imagine how difficult it must have been for the father to write anything of the sort? It is understandable that it took the son 5 years to actually make it public, betraying the intimacy with his father to denounce him (quite the act) in front of an anonymous community. I don't think that's a very respectful act but everyone has their reasons.

not sure how you define hating something but if someone is doing something like that i don't believe he just doesn't like the idea of beein gay. i believe a person doing this hates the idea of that. like i already said i didn't say he hates his son, just the idea of beeing gay and he can't live with someone who is what he hates.

maybe i said it wrong with "how much hate is in someone" but i definitely meant how much someone can hate something to make such a lifetime decision.

crissindahouse said:

not sure how you define hating something but if someone is doing something like that i don't believe he just doesn't like the idea of beein gay. i believe a person doing this hates the idea of that. like i already said i didn't say he hates his son, just the idea of beeing gay and he can't live with someone who is what he hates.

Even though I don't agree with him, I can imagine how difficult a decision it must have been and admire his ability to respect his own convictions.

Nobody has the right to force anything upon anybody, no matter how laudable the thing may be.

Now if we were talking about abandoning an infant or a child, this would be a different case altogether. These are two independent adults (the father and the son).

I don't find this surprising at all.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

happydolphin said:

Even though I don't agree with him, I can imagine how difficult a decision it must have been and admire his ability to respect his own convictions.

Nobody has the right to force anything upon anybody, no matter how laudable the thing may be.

Now if we were talking about abandoning an infant or a child, this would be a different case altogether. These are two independent adults (the father and the son).

i don't say what the father has to do, he can do whatever he wants,  i'm just pretty happy that i didn't have a father like that and who would rather decide for his kids if he would have to decide.