By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create & Famitsu Japan Sales: Week 31, 2012 (Jul 30 - Aug 05)

It looks like I have to be fast next week.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
Turkish said:
Kenology said:
Turkish said:
Horrible for mainline DQ, it probably won't cross 600k.

It's an MMO.  Doesn't matter if it's DQ. 

Let me ask you this:  Was Final Fantasy XI a flop?

SE shipped 630,000 copies of FFXIV but they still lose money. :/

Because that game sucked and was universally panned to the extent that Sqauare had to issue an official apology to fans.  But you didn't answer my question so I'll ask you again:

Was Final Fantasy XI a flop?

It was definetly a flop userbase wise, going from a big userbase of FFX to such a small userbase. But business wise it wasn't since its still making them money.

Kenology said:

- The disparity between Famitsu and Media Create is a little disturbing.  I hope the latter isn't trolling us!

- Looks like Wii numbers are much higher than expected.

- NSMB2 still going strong.  I think it's safe to say it'll cross a million in retail copies and I'm almost convinced that this game did remarkably well through the eShop and via in-store vouchers.

- 3DS is a beast.  3DSLL and Mario keep to the juggernaut moving at a brisk pace. 

BTW, what's the next big release for the 3DS in Japan?

If it didn't pass 5 Million retail that would be bad.

Kenology said:
Boutros said:
FFIX is over ten years old guys. It was the first MMO on consoles and a PC version was already announced.

And MMOs weren't quite as popular back then.

They really can't be compared.

Then what MMO would you compare it to?

None.

But one thing that can be compared with other MMOs are long-term revenues.

Turkish said:
Kenology said:

Because that game sucked and was universally panned to the extent that Sqauare had to issue an official apology to fans.  But you didn't answer my question so I'll ask you again:

Was Final Fantasy XI a flop?

It was definetly a flop userbase wise, going from a big userbase of FFX to such a small userbase. But business wise it wasn't since its still making them money.

You need to start distinguishing between non-MMO and MMO RPG installments.  They require a different metric of success and you seem to agree based on what you said.  "Business wise" is what matters for an MMO.  FFXI was not a flop by any means if it made Square tons of money vis-a-vis subscriptions. 

Therefore, saying DQX did horrible for a DQ game (not an MMO game) is a little silly given that we won't know how well it's done until a long time from now.  But I understand why you would choose to look at DQX's first week as an ordinary DQ entry rather than an MMO entry... ;)

Around the Network

Wow! DQX really boosted the Wii hardware sales! And it's software sales surpassed my expectations! (Expected 250K-350K first week)

For Onitore, if we take digital sales into account, then its 2nd week should be on par with Brain Age 1's 2nd week (like the first week). Still need more time to see if Onitore will have massive legs or not.

NSMB2's sales......... could Malstrom actually be correct in saying that NSMB2 will fail? I hope not. :(

spurgeonryan said:

Well square seems happy, so obvioulsy it is not as big a flop as everyone or some or one thinks.

Square Enix swings to Q1 loss

But the publisher expects strong upcoming releases to boost earnings significantly

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/362092/square-enix-swings-to-q1-loss/

Well, remember... Monster Hunter 3 tri was a flop even when Capcom announced that they were very pleased with it's LTD.  Some games are just a flop because they're on a Nintendo system and not a Sony system to be quite honest.

3DSLL – 82,251

3DS – 42,164

Vita – 9,038

Nintendo 3DS is a freaking beast, Poor vita back below 10k on both trackers.

That's quite a bump for Wii.

I called 400k. Im pretty happy with that prediction. Nice boost for Wii too.