By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 4: Impressions (PS2)

IllegalPaladin said:

Though the convienence of Gamefly, I have had Resident Evil 4 in my possession for about a week now and I'm about half way through it so I'd like to discuss thoughts on the game as I'm going along.

The biggest thought on this game is why has it been getting so much praise? I remember (may even still have) an old EGM where their cover story was this game and there were all these features that sounded so interesting, but now I'm wondering where they went wrong. The game has been not bad thus far, but I'm not feeling a whole lot of love emanating from this game. I think many things could have used more polish to make it even better. Now, I'm not a huge Resident Evil fan, but I know some of the general things from reading about the plot of the series every once in a while and I admit that it skews my thoughts on this game a little bit because I will focus more on the things that bring it down from not having a "RE4 ROXORZ MY SOXORZ" feeling. So lets do it, but I will note some positives about this game first.

The Positives:

- The new third person prospective gives this game a fresh new look compared to the older games. While you lose the beauty of the CG backgrounds, it makes the game feel much different than before. It is also a departure from the old 'tank' controls that some people found confusing (though I was fine with them).

- Aiming also feels fresh. Rather than being able to aim just up and down, you can aim everywhere and the game seems to do well in putting things you can shoot all over the place.

-Graphically, it's not a bad game and it's one of the better looking PS2 games out there.

Now that I've gotten some positives out there, let me move on to what I haven't liked about this game.

Negatives:

-Length: Some may argue that a longer game will mean a better game, I disagree in Resident Evil 4's case. I'm playing on the slow side (with not trying to waste ammo on enemies and suplexing them if I'm not outnumbered) and am about half way through with a 9-10 hour play time (with deaths, retries, and saving on ammo) and I'm wondering why the damn ride isn't over yet. There are some things that cause me to feel this way and I'll get to them below because it's a couple of things.

-Story: Half way through this game and the story has been crap with nothing explained. Most everything just feels like an excuse to send you through all of these environments mindlessly killing every enemy in your path. I understand that I've only completed half the game, but I think there are some serious flaws in the story if you have a whole cut-scene be with Luis catching up with you to give you something, realizing he dropped it, and then runs away again. I feel that segments could have been cut out and the story improved on because rather than being some kind of scary game, it's become almost pure action with the only scary parts being when a dog jumps out of a bush or you turn around to realize that an enemy is three feet away and about to attack. One huge complaint is with the Merchant, this guy makes no sense at all about why he's there or anything else about him. A few times when I've seen him, he looks like he can supply a small war and he apparently can't sell you any of that nice looking ammo he has lying everywhere.

-Sound: The sound is rather low quality. In-game dialog sounds very poor and it's made more intense when you hear enemies chanting and yelling. I feel the first village you go to at the start of the game was laughable with the same voice yelling every couple of seconds with the same voice slowed down in the pattern.

-Combat - Like I said above, the story of this game has felt like an excuse to pit you against like 20 guys in each room. Whats worse is that it feels like you're fighting morons who can't seem to decide if they want to charge at you, walk at you, or just blow themselves up with their own explosives. Every encounter is more annoying than exciting and they feel like gigantic hiccups in the progression of the game. What makes it worse are the controls and aiming. I'm enjoying the behind the shoulder camera, but still controlling like a tank with very little evasive options makes every time I'm hit a huge frustration. A side step would be nice, but I belive that the right analog stick does NOTHING while you're aiming your gun/knife so why can't the right analog stick at least be a little hop in the direction you've tilted it? Aiming is also a pain because the dot to tell you where you're aiming only appears if it's on something that can be shot at like an enemy or treasure for example. This makes trying to aim at anything that isn't right infront of you a pain in the butt and has resulted in some missed shots.

One of the most annoying things in this game are the enemies who's heads pop off to reveal creatures. Everybody I know who's played the game has warned that you don't want to shoot guys in the head. Fine, I say, I'll just shoot them everywhere else except the head or knock them down and knife them. Apparently it doesn't matter because you can try cutting off an enemy's toe and all of a sudden his head pops off which later in the game will result in a creature popping out. I wouldn't say it's a negative of the game itself, but it is VERY annoying.

--

In the end, reviewers recommend that people should play this game and it isn't one you should overlook.

I ask why?

I'm sorry, I just cannot see eye to eye with someone who says the combat in RE4 is bad.  The reason you can't strafe is to add to the very deliberate pacing of the game--if you could easily just sidestep while busting some caps, the game would lose a good chunk of the tension, I'm sure you'll agree.

The reason they don't give any warning or apparent thought to their attack plans is because they wanted to keep you on your toes.  If you always knew what your enemy was going to do, would you be scared?

The reason the Las Plagas pops out no matter where you shoot them is because it would've come out no matter what when he died.  It could kill the host and come out at will if it wanted to.

Also, with regard to the story, the first half is SUPPOSED to make you ask what the hell is going on (even the scene with Luis), only to be explained perfectly by the end.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Snesboy said:
A lot of it has to do with how many people didn't buy Resident Evil 4 on the GCN. It sold well enough but there were still a lot of people who missed it on the superior platform. Now remember, these PS2 players never played it on the GameCube so they wouldn't notice the issues you mentioned above.

When you take a game made for a technically superior console and port to a P.O.S. (like making a PS3 game then porting it to Wii) console, then a lot of sacrifices are going to be made. This was the case with RE4 on PS2.

This is just absurd ... you actually see the GC and PS2 power difference the same as the PS3 and Wii ... you would just wish that the Wii would be s powerfull ;)

Edit : if you really want to play the worst version , try the PC version :P 

Probably a better example would be developing a game for the PS3 (which is a little stronger) and porting it to the 360.  This is why DMC4 looks a little bit better on PS3 and has better sound.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:

I'm sorry, I just cannot see eye to eye with someone who says the combat in RE4 is bad. The reason you can't strafe is to add to the very deliberate pacing of the game--if you could easily just sidestep while busting some caps, the game would lose a good chunk of the tension, I'm sure you'll agree.

The reason they don't give any warning or apparent thought to their attack plans is because they wanted to keep you on your toes. If you always knew what your enemy was going to do, would you be scared?

The reason the Las Plagas pops out no matter where you shoot them is because it would've come out no matter what when he died. It could kill the host and come out at will if it wanted to.

Also, with regard to the story, the first half is SUPPOSED to make you ask what the hell is going on (even the scene with Luis), only to be explained perfectly by the end.

I'm not asking for any kind of warning for their apparent attacks, but my point was about how I think it looks kind of dumb to see somebody (or even better, a whole group) running at you and then decide to slow down and walk slower again. All of this is happening while they have their eyes fixed on you like they want to tear you apart and gut Leon like a fish. Maybe they're not getting fed enough for the energy expenditure?

It's almost like in a Dynasty Warriors game when you encounter a cluster of enemies, they all charge at you with their weapons drawn ready to slice you open. However, when they finally get to you, they all cluster and strafe around you.

Also, I did say that a side step may not be totally necessairy, but perhaps a small dodge or something for if you're about to be struck or something, perhaps a button press similar to bosses/big enemies, but much rarer. Not only that, while I did say it's the only time when the game scares me, I do find it exciting to turn and find somebody about ready to hit me all of a sudden. Even better was when I was fighting guys and I heard the click of a door and I turn around and two guys are bearing down on me. That is cool and it reminds me a bit like in Dino Crisis (1 or 2) where you have the t-rex hot in persuit and you're jamming on the x button as you're getting closer to the door and you activate the door just as the rex's jaws are only ten feet away. 

Speaking of combat, I should have also said something about the hit detection which works well sometimes and then the guys decide to not be phased at the bullets that are tearing through their skin.

Curious, I have never played the PS2 version so I have to ask someone that has played both it and the GC or Wii version. IllegalPaladin seems to indicate that the Ganados are stupid. That is not the case in the GC and Wii game in my experience. Did they dumb down the AI in the PS2 version? I know they cut down the poly counts, textures quality, and removed virtually all of the lighting effects.

Since I've never played the GC version (save for 5 minutes when my friend brought it over when she bought it) so I can't exactly compare the AI's, but it doesn't make for exciting gameplay unless you're stopping a swing at you at point blank range or you realize you're about to get whacked as you're turning to find the source of an hostile grunt. However, it is cool (though repetitive) and ammo effective to do a leg shot and suplex enemies which takes care of the weaker guys instantly. Another fun thing is when you get the guys clumped up and you whip out your shotgun and take all or most of them out with one shot (same thing with a frag grenade).

Part of my argument of the combat is how stupid these guys are stupid with anything explosive (not to mention how they pull things out of their ass o_0, but many games do that lol). It's cool to shoot the TNT in mid-air and have it hurt them or even kill a guy while he's holding TNT so it blows up on nearby enemies. However, these guys apparently aren't able to tell if there is anything in the path of their weapon and they'll simply kill themselves without as much as an attempt to shoot them on my part. For example, guys with rocket launchers pop out of a hidden panel on a wall (the picture slides up or something like that) and I run behind some cover so I don't get hit, but then I hear an explosion and a scream. I'm not sure exactly where they shot, but from their location, they must have been aiming at the edge of the stone window like space where they were looking out of. Another example just happened a few minutes ago in the gear room where I'm trying to extend a bridge. A guy throwing TNT was a level or two above me while I was fighting guys on the ground floor and apparently he didn't have the programming to check his aim because I hear an explosion and a scream and that was the end of him. I'm thinking he either bounced it off an object when he threw it and it came back at him or he merely threw it on the floor because he was locked onto me and it landed right at his feet.

Around the Network
azrm2k said:
Lemme try to answer some of your concerns.

Length: halfway through and you've played 9 hours? That is slow for your first time even but trust me once you learn the game you can blaze through it. I'm not a speed runner and i don't practice any speed runs or anything but I can run through the entire game in under 4 hours now. There are people that can finish the game in just about 2 hours! So if they cut too much stuff out it would get even shorter!

It's like that for most games actually. You can speed through them once you know everything. Hell, take a look at actual speed run videos (ie- Half-Life or Half-Life 2), but I don't think that has anything to do with the story as much as it has to do with knowing everything since you skip through cut-scenes and run past everything you can.

I seemed to remember (for example) there being more story peices, like notes to pickup, in the other games like the GC remake. In RE4 it's like you'll find a little note every once in a while and they feel rather out of place in my opinion and haven't provided much backstory thus far rather than just some forshadowing on an event soon to come.

These impressions are blasphemy.

Resident Evil 4 was truly a ground-breaking game for the series and it changed the series around big time.

I'm still anxiously awaiting Resident Evil 5 launch date.

kazwi said:
Resident Evil 4 was truly a ground-breaking game for the series and it changed the series around big time.

I'm still anxiously awaiting Resident Evil 5 launch date.

Yes, the trailer looked pretty impressive. I'd like to see how they've fined tuned this system. 

RolStoppable said:
Darc Requiem said:
Curious, I have never played the PS2 version so I have to ask someone that has played both it and the GC or Wii version. IllegalPaladin seems to indicate that the Ganados are stupid. That is not the case in the GC and Wii game in my experience. Did they dumb down the AI in the PS2 version? I know they cut down the poly counts, textures quality, and removed virtually all of the lighting effects.

No, the AI is the same in all three versions, the gameplay differences are only slight besides the obvious differences in controls. In the PS2 and Wii version enemies seem to take a little more bullets, but in return you get a little more ammo and a little more money, making it a little easier to upgrade your weapons.

I think IllegalPaladin's main problem is that he is approaching the game a little bit too serious. Resident Evil always had something of a horror B-movie, both in stupid enemies and ridiculous cutscenes. The moment you start asking yourself "why is it the way it is?", it's likely that you are going to kill an otherwise enjoyable and great experience (that's not only true for RE games, but for most games ever made).

Eh, I found the GC remake to be good. While I haven't played it all exept for the early part or an area or two where my friend let me take the reigns for a little while, I was impressed (but not suprised obviously) at the improvements in a category such as acting compared to the original (where I have put in two hours into it).

Apart from that, I'm merely seeing some things that could be improved on in this game.