By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 4: Impressions (PS2)

*edit* Final Impressions added*

Though the convienence of Gamefly, I have had Resident Evil 4 in my possession for about a week now and I'm about half way through it so I'd like to discuss thoughts on the game as I'm going along.

The biggest thought on this game is why has it been getting so much praise? I remember (may even still have) an old EGM where their cover story was this game and there were all these features that sounded so interesting, but now I'm wondering where they went wrong. The game has been not bad thus far, but I'm not feeling a whole lot of love emanating from this game. I think many things could have used more polish to make it even better. Now, I'm not a huge Resident Evil fan, but I know some of the general things from reading about the plot of the series every once in a while and I admit that it skews my thoughts on this game a little bit because I will focus more on the things that bring it down from not having a "RE4 ROXORZ MY SOXORZ" feeling. So lets do it, but I will note some positives about this game first.

The Positives:

- The new third person prospective gives this game a fresh new look compared to the older games. While you lose the beauty of the CG backgrounds, it makes the game feel much different than before. It is also a departure from the old 'tank' controls that some people found confusing (though I was fine with them).

- Aiming also feels fresh. Rather than being able to aim just up and down, you can aim everywhere and the game seems to do well in putting things you can shoot all over the place.

-Graphically, it's not a bad game and it's one of the better looking PS2 games out there.

Now that I've gotten some positives out there, let me move on to what I haven't liked about this game.

Negatives:

-Length: Some may argue that a longer game will mean a better game, I disagree in Resident Evil 4's case. I'm playing on the slow side (with not trying to waste ammo on enemies and suplexing them if I'm not outnumbered) and am on chapter 4 with around 10 hours of time clocked in (with deaths, retries, and saving on ammo) and I'm wondering why the damn ride isn't over yet. There are some things that cause me to feel this way and I'll get to them below because it's a couple of things.

-Story: Half way through this game and the story has been crap with nothing explained. Most everything just feels like an excuse to send you through all of these environments mindlessly killing every enemy in your path. I understand that I've only completed half the game, but I think there are some serious flaws in the story if you have a whole cut-scene be with Luis catching up with you to give you something, realizing he dropped it, and then runs away again. I feel that segments could have been cut out and the story improved on because rather than being some kind of scary game, it's become almost pure action with the only scary parts being when a dog jumps out of a bush or you turn around to realize that an enemy is three feet away and about to attack. One huge complaint is with the Merchant, this guy makes no sense at all about why he's there or anything else about him. A few times when I've seen him, he looks like he can supply a small war and he apparently can't sell you any of that nice looking ammo he has lying everywhere.

-Sound: The sound is rather low quality. In-game dialog sounds very poor and it's made more intense when you hear enemies chanting and yelling. I feel the first village you go to at the start of the game was laughable with the same voice yelling every couple of seconds with the same voice slowed down in the pattern.

-Combat - Like I said above, the story of this game has felt like an excuse to pit you against like 20 guys in each room. Whats worse is that it feels like you're fighting morons who can't seem to decide if they want to charge at you, walk at you, or just blow themselves up with their own explosives. Every encounter is more annoying than exciting and they feel like gigantic hiccups in the progression of the game. What makes it worse are the controls and aiming. I'm enjoying the behind the shoulder camera, but still controlling like a tank with very little evasive options makes every time I'm hit a huge frustration. A side step would be nice, but I belive that the right analog stick does NOTHING while you're aiming your gun/knife so why can't the right analog stick at least be a little hop in the direction you've tilted it? Aiming is also a pain because the dot to tell you where you're aiming only appears if it's on something that can be shot at like an enemy or treasure for example. This makes trying to aim at anything that isn't right infront of you a pain in the butt and has resulted in some missed shots.

One of the most annoying things in this game are the enemies who's heads pop off to reveal creatures. Everybody I know who's played the game has warned that you don't want to shoot guys in the head. Fine, I say, I'll just shoot them everywhere else except the head or knock them down and knife them. Apparently it doesn't matter because you can try cutting off an enemy's toe and all of a sudden his head pops off which later in the game will result in a creature popping out. I wouldn't say it's a negative of the game itself, but it is VERY annoying.

--

In the end, reviewers recommend that people should play this game and it isn't one you should overlook.

I ask why?

------------

*updated* Final Impressions*

So I finally had some time and I finished the game last night for a total time of around 14 hours and a nice 83% accuracy to boot (compared to the ~50% my room mate is currently at). My slow time mainly attributes to me wanting to take combat slowly so I don't waste my ammo and I'd either try and go for suplexes or clumping up bad guys for a shotgun blast. I also didn't spend a whole lot of money either, I ended with around 500,000 picas and the weapons I had used weren't really that upgraded apart from a little better damage.

Anyway, I feel that the game did get a little bit better, but my last 4 hours didn't really feel that different from the rest of my time. However, I did realize that the rocket launcher isn't something you leave behind for a boss battle. I had wanted to use money on upgrades instead of the rocket launcher and I held onto the one you find in the castle until I felt I would need it, and it was awesome because it ended the battle with two trolls instantly as I dropped the one in the lava and shot the other one with the rocket launcher. Also, the rest of the boss battles after that were made much easier once I realized that I had no financial troubles to even think about not buying a rocket launcher. As for the rest of the game, I still feel like things were just dragged along and story was still on a minimum. I also still disagree with commentors about the enemies and they're movements. Sure, they are moving slow so it's possible to hit them, but the developers made the enemies look like morons with their movement patterns. Also, I disagree with the mindless slave argument, they are under control, but they still know how to use weapons, communicate, and stuff like that. I consider mindless to be the zombies of the T-virus.

Also, after seeing videos of the Wii version, I would think that Wii-players wouldn't bash me on my thoughts of the combat. The trade off of the Wii version is that everything runs smoother and that means everything looks faster (a falling enemy fell like twice as fast in the Wii version as he would in the PS2 version). Despite that, you guys get a freaken crosshair that's on the screen when you aim and it even turns color when you're aiming at something that can be hit while the PS2/GC get a tiny laser where the dot only appears if you're aiming at something that can be hit.

In conclusion, it's not a bad game, but I haven't cared that much for it and I still dislike the Merchant and his random appearances that don't seem to make any sense at all. Especially those red eyes.

Around the Network

i totally disagree with u in a negative sides.. i played that game on gamecube the ps2 and now on te wii, and still havnt seen anything negative about it

killzone2 =halo killer!!!!!   

PS3 4 life

games playing

PS3:resident evil /resistance / killzone2/fallout3/uncharted/cod4/MGS4/socom/far cry2/biochock/dead space/street fighter4 

XBOX360:Gears of War/ Bioshock/ Halo3/ gears of war2/left 4 dead/mass effect/fable 2/dead rising

Wii:Zelda TP/ Resident evil 4/ Metriod Prime 3

PSP:Only bought it for God of War and the remote control for my PS3gamertag/PSN=  Dumbkilla

Wii#  0378860588753451

A lot of it has to do with how many people didn't buy Resident Evil 4 on the GCN. It sold well enough but there were still a lot of people who missed it on the superior platform. Now remember, these PS2 players never played it on the GameCube so they wouldn't notice the issues you mentioned above.

When you take a game made for a technically superior console and port to a P.O.S. (like making a PS3 game then porting it to Wii) console, then a lot of sacrifices are going to be made. This was the case with RE4 on PS2.

Snesboy said:
A lot of it has to do with how many people didn't buy Resident Evil 4 on the GCN. It sold well enough but there were still a lot of people who missed it on the superior platform. Now remember, these PS2 players never played it on the GameCube so they wouldn't notice the issues you mentioned above.

When you take a game made for a technically superior console and port to a P.O.S. (like making a PS3 game then porting it to Wii) console, then a lot of sacrifices are going to be made. This was the case with RE4 on PS2.

I know that the gamecube was it's original release, but how are those things only the result of the PS2 version being a port?

*cracks knuckle*

Okay you raise some very valid points

"Half way through this game and the story has been crap with nothing explained."

This can be a little daunting; the story so far is this

One--your Leon from RE2

Two--you are specially trained by the government after raccoon went to hell and umbrella collapsed

Three--you are sent to track down the president’s daughter after she was kidnapped

Four--you stumble into a village looking for her that has been acting very differently lately
Five--you find her only to find out that she was kidnapped by a cult and infected with something to take back to the world---it is a parasite

Six--the big person in the robes, Mr. Saddler--he can control anyone infected

Seven--starting to give way to much detail

Eight--the rest of the segments are there to help give the characters a little more depth and provide a little more back-story

"Whats worse is that it feels like you're fighting morons who can't seem to decide if they want to charge at you, walk at you, or just blow themselves up with their own explosives"

They will get a little better but you need to keep in mid that they are supposed to be semi-mindless zombies

"With very little evasive options makes every time I'm hit a huge frustration. A side step would be nice, but I believe that the right analog stick does NOTHING while you're aiming your gun/knife so why can't the right analog stick at least be a little hop in the direction you've tilted it?"

The game developers really wanted to keep to the roots, they wanted you to still feel like your back was against the wall and you ha to just face down the baddies or turn tail and run. If it helps get you the striker and that will help keep the bodies at bay

"This makes trying to aim at anything that isn't right in front off you a pain in the butt and has resulted in some missed shots. "

this is not a bad system but it really is a learning curve--one time ya play it will just click and you will hardly miss ever again---also not sure if ya can but the Wii version actually made it a reticule and point and click precision

"One of the most annoying things in this game is the enemies who's heads pop off to reveal creatures."

this is a tricky pat of the story, depending on how far along the parasite is in the host will equal out to this, if its still young you wont get it out, but if it can once the host body is damaged it will come for you. Use a flash and instant K.O.  Las Plagas is a creature that once mature will separate from the host and continue the hunt--if you have not seen it yet you are in for a surprise--also remember keep the flash handy

EDIT--fixed my bad spelling

Around the Network

And also, it took you three years to play it. It was released in 2005 remember? It didn't have as much of an impact. =]

That's sort of why I commented on how nice it was to have Gamefly.

--

Yes, I'm already seeing the plagas seperate and coming after me.

^feel free to ask any questions i kno wthat game so very well

My feedback is probably the worst anyone could hear because I absolutely despise the RE series, but I buckled up and decided to give it yet another chance. I'm actually with you on almost all points, accept I have more negatives to add. :P

Keep in mind I haven't passed the first village, I threw my controllers down after about 20 mins of playing out of sheer frustration.

Hit response: I feel like there isn't any. My friend says oh oh oh you dont shoot them in the head roflmao you shoot them in the neck and they die faster!!! Ok! So I pop the first guy in the neck and get this satisfying explotion. Sweet! I pop the second guy in the same spot... and... nothing... huh? Wierd... maybe I missed, again again again and again, nothing on like 9 consecutive @#$@#$@ zombies (sorry not zombies, just flesh eating dead people infected by something >_>@#@#$#@$)

Knife fighting! Sweet :P I found my first effective way of killing things since the pistol apparently sucks ass >_> AGAIN with the hit response on this one, man sometimes they feel like getting cut, sometimes they just dont... W T F? I slice and get the option to kick, sweet! I slice and get mauled to death... @#$@#$ ><!!!!

Lack of a @!#$@#$ Dodge feature >< While I'm trying to mow down a crowd of sick people with my @#$@#$ knife, I see two people throw sickles in the background... My god of war instincts kick in and I slap that analog stick... then... I get hit... by two sickles... ok my bad, lemme find out what the dodge button is. No need! my friend tells me that to dodge you just let go of the aim and step to the side... SIGH ok scratch that option...

STUPID NEEDLESS @#$@#$@#$ DUMBASS MAIN CHARACTER ><: I come up to this well (filled with some really nasty sh*t mind you) and theres a pendant hanging above it. It's litterally like a foot in front of me... but no, I don't feel like grabbing it just yet, PLEASE LET ME SHOOT THE DAMN THING INTO THE NASTY 2#%@#$% MUCK DOWN BELOW IT ><@#$@#$ WHY!!! GOD WHY!!!!

The Rock "mini-game".... who put that there... and why. I spam the two buttons it indicated so that I could sprint away, then in quite possibly the fastest action prompt I've ever seen a display in, it asks me to push the Triangle, now since I was talking to my friend about how much the game sucked thus far, I missed my fraction of a second opportunity and died. Well.. that was lame, at least I know what button! Do it again, and the fraction of a millisecond opportunity became a Square this time around -_- @#$^!#$^%@#$@!$@!~#$@!#$!@$@#$!@#$!@#$

Resident evil 4 is definitely a creepy game, but I'm more freaked out by the fact that manuevering my character feels like trying to move a tank through an ant colony. I can't evade for shiat, my bullets are like rays of sunshine hitting superman, the knife doesn't "feel like working" half the damn time, and the main character is a moron x.x My friend (who's beaten it) says if you love frustration, you'll have a blast with it!! He says it seriously never gets much easier to do anything.

ANYWAYS there is a plus!

Getting to the top of a ladder and wating for someone to follow you is friggin awesome cuz you can push his dumbass down time and time again :P 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Lemme try to answer some of your concerns.

Length: halfway through and you've played 9 hours? That is slow for your first time even but trust me once you learn the game you can blaze through it. I'm not a speed runner and i don't practice any speed runs or anything but I can run through the entire game in under 4 hours now. There are people that can finish the game in just about 2 hours! So if they cut too much stuff out it would get even shorter!

Story: I didn't mind the story. It was confusing but if you read all the documents and whatnot there aren't too many glaring loopholes.

Sound: I enjoyed the audio in this game. The music kicks into a nice beat when there are Ganados after you to help increase the tension. The dialogue that the Ganados yell is quite limited but sicne they are basically mind-controlled drones/puppets you can't really blame them for not having long winded intellectual conversations with you before they try to bite your head off. Also the priests whispering "Morir es vivir" repeatedly from different corners of the room is great when you're surrounded by an army of them like the water room.

Combat: yes it does seem as if large battles are forced upon you but that goes along with the story. These aren't zombies randomly walking around like other RE games. These ganados make up that town and later the castle village and are all sent at you. Basically Saddler is like a general directing his army at you so obviously he's gonna send more than one at a time.

As far as the AI goes it's certainly not as clever as some games i'll give you that but RE4 continues to be fun as they find ways to keep it interesting like when you're trapped in the cage with the blind garrador and the other priests surrounding the cage can shoot you while you're basically trapped trying to sneak around the garrador.

The actual controls I can't speak to as I haven't played it on PS2. I have it on Wii and i love the Wii controls.

Ah yes the Plagas spouting out of the head. I don't know why you aren't aiming at the head. I focus all my shots as headshots. Even if it pops out just shoot it a bit and it explodes.

Basically I love RE4 and agree with the reviewers' comments not to overlook this game because even if some of those other things frustrate you the atmosphere of this game makes it one of the best survival horror games i've ever played.