By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most technically advanced game on Wii?

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Conduit 2 are the most technically advanced games on the Wii.

The they utilized the most complex technology of any Wii game.

They are several other stand out games, all already listed, that also push certain technologies very well but tended to focus on that one technology rather than several.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Conduit 2 are the most technically advanced games on the Wii.

They are several other stand out games, all already listed, that also push certain technologies very well but tended to focus on that one technology rather than several.

You apparently haven't played much outside the mainstream heavily hyped Wii game list if you think that.

The 3 games I posted on the first page outpermed all 3 of those all the way around.

I have argued forever that Overlord is technically superior to Mario Galaxy 2 and people have eaten me alive over it. Good luck changing a mind on that one.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
I have argued forever that Overlord is technically superior to Mario Galaxy 2 and people have eaten me alive over it. Good luck changing a mind on that one.

You are right. Overlord had way higher level lighting, dynmaic shadows, and pysics. There also more characters on screen at once and each individual character hard far more polygon detail than the entities that appeared in Mario Galaxy 2.

Aestestically, Mario Galaxy 2 was far better designed but Overlord was far more technically advanced.

lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

You apparently haven't played much outside the mainstream heavily hyped Wii game list if you think that.

The 3 games I posted on the first page outpermed all 3 of those all the way around.

As someone that understands the actual technology employed in video game development, I can assure, the 2 games I listed utilize more highly advanced technologies than any other Wii games.   I do believe I also alluded to your games, and others, as being right behind them and not by much.

I'll grant that I don't have much experience with Zangeki no Reginleiv to give it a proper vetting but all else remains.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

As someone that understands the actual technology employed in video game development, I can assure, the 2 games I listed utilize more highly advanced technologies than any other Wii games.   I do believe I also alluded to your games, and others, as being right behind them and not by much.

I'll grant that I don't have much experience with Zangeki no Reginleiv to give it a proper vetting but all else remains.

No they don't. Not all. I just stated it.

There were no advanced phsyics in either of those games. No dynamics shadows. No volumetric lighting. The polygon count was also far lower. They were technically advanced but no where near as much as the games I listed for the listed reasons.

Mario Galaxy was "overall" one of the most technically advanced games on the Wii but FAR from "the best/most". It did everything in moderation. It didin't push anything.

The Conduit 2 had some really detailed nice texture effects on the characters armor and the enemies but that was it. The evironments were static, flat, empty and undetailed. The HQ enemies versus the LQ textures on everything else really contrasted.

The last setence says it all. Playing a game will tell you no more about what its techcnially doing than watching it. You're rating games based on whether or not you like them first the same as everyone. That is irrevelent to techcnial acheivement. Like Lair on the PS3. The game was terrible but no one could deny that it was a technically exeptional game for the time.

You can see what is in use in a video just the same as when playing it. It will not change if you're holding a controller. Not playing it actually allows you to look at it more objectively. The topic isn't how much you liked what the game did. The topic is what used the most advanced features on the hardware.

Take Cursed Moutain for example. That games used HDR lighting which can be said of maybe 2-4 games on the entire console, though the game itself was bad. The technical achievment still stands.

lilbroex said:

No they don't. Not all. I just stated it.

There were no advanced phsyics in either of those games. No dynamics shadows. No volumetric lighting. The polygon count was also far lower. They were technically advanced but no where near as much as the games I listed for the listed reasons.

The last setence says it all. Playing a game will tell you no more about what its techcnially doing than watching it. You're rating games based o whether or not you like them first the same as everyone. That is irrevelent to techcnial acheivement. Like Lair on the PS3. The game was terrible but no one could deny that it was a technically exeptional game for the time.

You can see what is in use in a video just the same as when playing it. It will not changed.

I will ask you once and only once to never assume so ignorantly.

Did I not just tell you that I am well versed in video game development technology?

All the technologies you've listed are nto advanced technologies either.  There is where your problem lies. 

While Overlord used dynamic lighting/shadows, look at the pop in it required to do it with.   And you may not notice it too well but Conduit 2 had self shadowing, shadow casting and soft shadows.  All far more advanced than standard dynamic shadows.

What I am talking about are the actual technologies and how advanced they are.  Just because you see a tech being used doesn't mean it's highly advanced.  Any many highly advanced technologies are not directly viewable.

I agree that Silent Hill Shattered Memories looked very impressive.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

@lilbroex you are in serious need for an attitude adjustment, but I actually agree with everything you say, especially that first game you mentioned, yeah that blows away anything else i seen on the console personally.

As for GE as a guy who bought and played it the most out of any game he has on Wii...you're right. Halo 2 looks and performs better than it and that was an xbox 1 game. GE has slowdown, not much but it has it, helicopter scene for one. It is aliased as you say, hell those screens you showed? those are touched the hell up. Not much details in background, the only has its own problems, no one moves naturally, they all move like they have steelpoles for spinal chords, I cant speak for anyone else but I enjoyed the game not because of its tech, I enjoyed it cause i was having and still have actual fun with it.