By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Updated: Global Hardware and software UP! (28th July '12) - 3DS dominates, Vita falters

About the price cut issue, I think Japan and the West are very different markets and even if AC or COD push 1.5m+, it doesn't guarantee success in Japan. I believe a pricecut on the Vita would much more help Japan imho.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
About the price cut issue, I think Japan and the West are very different markets and even if AC or COD push 1.5m+, it doesn't guarantee success in Japan. I believe a pricecut on the Vita would much more help Japan imho.

Sure, it would help there. But would it be worth it? This is very basic, but would you rather sell 3m units breaking even (or making a very small loss) over the holiday or 5m taking a $50 higher loss? I don't think a price cut would lead to enough hardware sales to make it worth it, especially if the software isn't there because that's supposed to make up for the newer losses on hardware. It's all about the software and advertising this year, I think a price cut is better suited for next year.

edit: by software not being there I mean for Japania

Problem is... they already shattered their forecast one time this year.

Without a price cut they'll shatter it once again, almost surely.

That will bring trust down, imo, maybe even more than the losses a price cut may cause.

VicViper said:

That will bring trust down, imo, maybe even more than the losses a price cut may cause.

Would investors rather see a bigger loss for that quarter or lowered forecasts? :S

Andrespetmonkey said:

Sure, it would help there. But would it be worth it? This is very basic, but would you rather sell 3m units breaking even (or making a very small loss) over the holiday or 5m taking a $50 higher loss? I don't think a price cut would lead to enough hardware sales to make it worth it, especially if the software isn't there because that's supposed to make up for the newer losses on hardware. It's all about the software and advertising this year, I think a price cut is better suited for next year.

edit: by software not being there I mean for Japania

Yah, for Japania  the pricecut would strictly be for marketshare at the expense of lost profits. Whether it's worth it or not is a different question, but Japan would indeed need more Vita marketshare as far as Sony is concerned, and imho neither AC nor COD can help that.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
VicViper said:

Would investors rather see a bigger loss for that quarter or lowered forecasts? :S

I don't know. Maybe at a loss, but with confidence it's selling might put more trust in the future, and also it won't let 3DS distance that much.

Not that Nintendo will do this in a meeting, not their style, but do you think it's good to be in this situation? It's walking towards it.

VicViper said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
VicViper said:

I don't know. Maybe at a loss, but with confidence it's selling might put more trust in the future, and also it won't let 3DS distance that much.

Not that Nintendo will do this in a meeting, not their style, but do you think it's good to be in this situation? It's walking towards it.

@ you and HappyD

Yeah, I guess a price cut this year to increase marketshare could be seen as an investment of some sort, to secure a future and to say to developers/publishers there's more than 3 people who'll buy your game on this system. Positives and negatives for price cut and no price cut. Now I'm not sure which one outweighs the other.

pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
pezus said:

Look who's popular ;o

On a regular day I get about 5.

That is kind of low for someone who posts in every thread there is ;o

*5 every so other hour.