By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - While Nintendo is killing off the Wii, Square-Enix is hoping to keep it alive for 10 years more

Tagged games:

Jumpin said:
sperrico87 said:
Wii is dead. One game release is not going to change that. The only hope Square has of extending the life of the game for that period of time is to make sure the Wii U version sells well and keeps people interested. I don't know how subscription MMO's fare in Japan, but over here in the West they are floundering. Even WoW is dying off. Everything is going free-to-play just to stay alive.

I wouldn't call the Wii dead, considering the hardware is still selling over 50K a week, nor would I say that there's only one game left to release with selling potential.

For example: Just Dance 4 will sell at least 8 million copies. 

The Wii is more alive than certain other recent platforms.

I think he's talking about Wii's situation in Japan, so he's correct. There's no more games announced for release there, either 1st or 3rd party... DQX was probably one of the, if not the last game to ever be released for the Wii there.

Don't forget that Wii U is releasing there this year, so Wii will be dead in Japan when 2013 starts. Nintendo will need to focus on the Wii U, as Wii is irrelevant now.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

It doesn't really matter for Square-Enix if the Wii is dead or not, it's in 12 million homes in Japan which is more than any other current console.

And for the long term prospects of DQX they have the Wii U version which is no doubt going to be become the lead version as the years go on.

How are they going to have downloadable content on the Wii?

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Obviously they were thinking on the WiiU version
i hope they release it here in the EU

The Wii is only gonna sell about 3 million more units of hardware this year (Stopping at 99.25m) unless it gets a price cut that puts it over the 100m hump.

I'd imagine this DQX support crosses over into the Wii U version.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
mysticwolf said:
How are they going to have downloadable content on the Wii?

The game requires the use of a USB memory add on. (HD or Memory stick) The DL content and game are installed on that.

It was mentioned by its worth mentioning again. That the Wii U is backwards compatible so even when the Wii U version of the game is released it is still the same game so any added content will be usable by both versions of the game. Plus considering the size of the offical memory stick I doubt they will adding that many new art resources so it will probally be using the stuff that is already on the disc.

Wii U! :P that will keep it alive for some years, but the inevitable better game (the nonMMO Dragon Quest XI for the 3DS) will kill it prematurely

Well it is kind of different but FFXII, XII and XIV hasn't really killed off XI yet. My brother recently started playing again. (He takes a few months off then decides to start again.) So DQXI may not have too much of an effect of X, unless they handle X poorly, which so far doesn't seem to be the case.

How big is WOW in Japan?

I know there are players in japan but it more than likely a modest player base.